New Sync Update is availble

Version 1.1

This release includes Connectivity Enhancements which improve the reliability of both Bluetooth and USB connections to SYNC. The Bluetooth enhancements improve the stability of hands-free calls, call waiting, caller ID, multiple call handling and other mobile phone features. The USB enhancements improve support for media players and the playing of file formats and podcasts. (Part Number: 9L3T-14D544-AC) 9L3T-14D544-AC

This Sync update requires a visit to your local dealership. Please print the Request for Sync Upgrade form before calling an authorized dealership to make a service appointment. Be sure to bring the printed form with you to your dealership. Dealer service fee may apply. this part kind of sucks...

see it over at SyncMyRide.com

Anyone know WHY we have to visit the dealer? My local dealerships are morons and would likely screw it all up!

I do have intermittent BT connectivity issues every now and then.

What I really like is the

Dealer service fee may apply
- That is pure BS if they try to enforce it!!!!

Thanks for the heads up Lex

Called the "authorized Ford Dealer" where I got my car. Service had NO idea what the heck I was talking about. Gee... why am I not surprised.

Gave them the information and asked them to look in to it and see if it is available and if a charge applies.

I agree, it is complete BS if there is a charge to upgrade something to fix errors in it in the first place. Hey, this is Microsoft we are talking about so......

Why they can't have it downloaded via computer on to a flash stick by the owners (send us a one time use passcode like any of the on line software sales companies use) and then just have it inputted via the USB port in the car is a mystery to me. That would be to logical.

Oh, by the way. I live about 5 miles from the Oakville plant that actually builds the Edge. Glad the dealers are all up to speed !

Edited by CorporateEdge

yeah, pay for something that might get fixed and might not? so, if I pay, and it does not fix my USB issue, I get the money back? Plus, this is not an enhancement, something one might pay for, it is an update to fix some issues we are having, why pay for that?

I suspect the potential charge is to cover the time of the tech and use of the repair bay, but I could download this.. at my home... and install it faster, better, quicker, cheaper - and keep my car off the road wasting gas to get to a dealer for something so simple - if they just make it free to download at SMR website.

maybe the failure of that "version checker" download to work properly for nearly everyone who tried it showed them a serious flaw in their system to allow us user self updates so they knew they had to throw it at the dealer level so that only serious willing-to-pay people got the update versus people just doing it on a whim and needing support after it failed to download and work??

anyway.. I have a free first oil change coming up and I am going to try to piggie-back the update on that since it will be there anyway and maybe try to skate by free ;)

It gives me such a warm secure feeling that the "industry software giant" can't even produce a download for the version checker that works. I didn't read about any issues doing the down load but it didn't work twice so just said ...w it and moved on.

It will be interesting to see if the dealer calls back and what they say.

The new Blackberries have begun to show up to replace all our corporate Treo 700's so i would like to update prior to the switch. That way I dont have to figure out the upgrade wiped out all my settings/pairings after setting up the new phone.

I still love the concept of the hands free set up. Haven't used a blue tooth head set for 6 months since getting the Edge.

My authorized dealer called back today (hey, i give them bonuse marks for actually calling back based on some other dealers).

I quote

"yes you can bring it in and we can update Sync. It will cost about 100.00 plus taxes".

They also said that it was not necessary to bring it in and that I can "download the update on to my lap top and then connect the laptop to the car and do the update yourself".

I would have to say that based on my limited review of the sync website they are discussing the update checker not the actual update.

I am not paying anyone for an update that should be covered by Ford as it is "fixing" problems inherited with the car when they sold it to me. I will wait until someone figures out how to do it yourself or just turn the car back in at the end of the lease with no update. No biggie.

• 2 weeks later...

Update for Sync

I dont see the actual update on the web site and today is the 8th, maybe later today. I did get the Sync Status Checker to work. Took awhile.

I had to format the USB drive in FAT, I then had to restart internet explorer, Then it installed on the drive.

I plugged it in to the USB port and started the car and nothing happened.

I then messed around and noticed there is an install option when in the USB screen. That worked.

I then restarted Internet explorer again and got the file to upload. What a pain.

• 2 weeks later...

a few people over at SyncMyRide.com.. no one seems to report a lot of noticeable changes or diffs - a few say it helped some phone issues, some say still issues. it is the biggest thread there and pretty detailed FWIW. most pissed we need to pay for the enhancement as it seems to update a chip (there are 2) that only dealers can update and not us. I think that Aug 8 deal was bogus the more I have read about it and not really convinced it will ever be released for us to do ourselves. great huh? first true Sync 'update' for those of us with connectivity issues - and we cannot even self install it. :(

a few people over at SyncMyRide.com.. no one seems to report a lot of noticeable changes or diffs - a few say it helped some phone issues, some say still issues. it is the biggest thread there and pretty detailed FWIW. most pissed we need to pay for the enhancement as it seems to update a chip (there are 2) that only dealers can update and not us. I think that Aug 8 deal was bogus the more I have read about it and not really convinced it will ever be released for us to do ourselves. great huh? first true Sync 'update' for those of us with connectivity issues - and we cannot even self install it. :(

Well I guess it's time to give my friend that makes the Sync system a call and see if he has a copy on disc.

Well I guess it's time to give my friend that makes the Sync system a call and see if he has a copy on disc.

I took this update to dealer on 14 Aug and he said it was the first time they had seen this update. apparently there's a special cable that they need. they said they would order the cable and in about 1 week i could bring my edge back to get it updated. If your vehicle is still under warranty it shouldn't cost anything.

If your vehicle is still under warranty it shouldn't cost anything.

this part has been hotly contested by dealers, Ford and others. rather then going in and saying it is still under warranty to get it done free, might be best to explain your connectivity issues that this addresses - that seems to have gotten a greater free response from dealers.

• 1 month later...

Actually the upgrade would come from MICROSOFT, not from FORD and it IS a free upgrade if gotten through microsoft website.

IF you opt to go to a FORD dealer, the dealer will charge you the labour of having a worker take the time to do it. So it really is up to you if you wanna get it for free, or pay for it.

From what MICROSOFT gave me to understand, you can get the CD from the dealer as well (FOR FREE, as any update for any microsoft software is). The thing is, will the dealer let you have it for free, when they know they can just say they dont have any left and make you pay for the service to them rather???

Anyway, I got my update at the dealer but fortunately, I had paid for the SPECIAL SERVICING PACKAGE, where all my maintenance is covered... which took care of the update as well.

I would look online for the update and put it on a DVD to install onto the system myself if I hadnt had it done already by the dealer.

Actually the upgrade would come from MICROSOFT, not from FORD and it IS a free upgrade if gotten through microsoft website.

IF you opt to go to a FORD dealer, the dealer will charge you the labour of having a worker take the time to do it. So it really is up to you if you wanna get it for free, or pay for it.

From what MICROSOFT gave me to understand, you can get the CD from the dealer as well (FOR FREE, as any update for any microsoft software is). The thing is, will the dealer let you have it for free, when they know they can just say they dont have any left and make you pay for the service to them rather???

Anyway, I got my update at the dealer but fortunately, I had paid for the SPECIAL SERVICING PACKAGE, where all my maintenance is covered... which took care of the update as well.

I would look online for the update and put it on a DVD to install onto the system myself if I hadnt had it done already by the dealer.

v

Smack i don't know where you get your info from, but alot of it is just wrong. The dealership does not get a CD with the sync updates. It is done with the IDS just like all other updates are done. The IDS is updated online from ford. You really need to check your info before posting it.

v

Smack i don't know where you get your info from, but alot of it is just wrong. The dealership does not get a CD with the sync updates. It is done with the IDS just like all other updates are done. The IDS is updated online from ford. You really need to check your info before posting it.

I had my dealer install the update. I didn't see see any difference in connectivity or any other improvements. I watched them do it. All I could see them do was plug into that big machine they use when troubleshooting. The service manager said something about reflashing and downloading a certain file.

Version 1.1

This release includes Connectivity Enhancements which improve the reliability of both Bluetooth and USB connections to SYNC. The Bluetooth enhancements improve the stability of hands-free calls, call waiting, caller ID, multiple call handling and other mobile phone features. The USB enhancements improve support for media players and the playing of file formats and podcasts. (Part Number: 9L3T-14D544-AC) 9L3T-14D544-AC

This Sync update requires a visit to your local dealership. Please print the Request for Sync Upgrade form before calling an authorized dealership to make a service appointment. Be sure to bring the printed form with you to your dealership. Dealer service fee may apply. this part kind of sucks...

see it over at SyncMyRide.com

Regarding the Sync upgrade. I took someone's advice from this forum. To avoid paying for the upgrade, told the dealership that I was having connectivity issues with my MP3 and wanted upgrade to fix problem. I was having issues and getting an error message 'Program Content Error' on some of the songs. Long story short, uploaded upgrade, did diagnostics and found the internal USB cable to be defective and did not charge me for the upgrade.

This update is now available online to freely download and install all by yourself! I did it in about 12 minutes and it went flawless. go to www.syncmyride.com, become a member and you will get access to the new download just released on 10/10/08. directions are provided and it works perfect.

now... just need to wait to get the Sync 2.0 with the 911 and Heath Reports in a month or so.

For me... I notice these 2 fixes right off

1. It now correctly defaults back to USB and not Line In. As I reported, and many others have at SMR, it use to always default back to Line In on car restart, now it correctly defaults back to USB upon restart! this was one of my top complaints as I had to reset to USB every single time even if I got out for 30 seconds, 1 day, 1 hour, 1 minute... it was a PITA so happy that is fixed.

2. I now correctly have the "2 of 20" song counter at the top of the display next to the song play time. It only use to show upon car restart when I selected music, and then never after unless I reselected some music. Now, I correctly get the song counter all the time.