Bluetooth/SYNC not working.

Retired_97

When we got our 2008 Edge, our salesman paired my Motorola/Verizon bluetooth-enabled cell phone service with the SYNC in the vehicle.

For the most part, it has worked w/o problem until yesterday.

The phone was not recognized, would not work and I could not get it (SYNC) to recognize it.

After numerous attempts yesterday, I went to the Ford dealer today for assistance but found that they had not a clue and my salesman had left the dealership. :banghead:

Cutting this rather short, the Ford dealer tried another phone, got it to pair but did not make a call. My phone would not pair so he figured it was the phone.

I went to my Verizon dealer and explained. They could not get it to pair either, even after upgrading the phone software. Another new phone there would not pair either. :censored:

I have an appointment tomorrow with the same Ford dealer with someone who is suppose to be familiar with these issues. We shall see.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with their Edge or SYNC in general?

Edited by Retired_97

Good luck at the dealer and let us know how it goes.

A couple of questions. What type of phone are you trying to pair specifically ? How old is the phone? Did you confirm check on the list of confirmed phones at syncmyride web site that your model is tested ? (Note- phones not listed may/will pair up)

I had a really tough time getting my Treo 700 P to pair up but a couple of things.

1) go in and remove the pairing from both the phone and the sync system so you can start clean

2) You need to be patient during the process. There are a couple of points where is may take 5 minutes or more to complete the step. wait for the prompts.

3) I had to try 3-4 times even when I got to the point where it was giving me the connection code. Frustrating and it should not be that hard but once it is done the feature is a must have.

I have intermittent problems with Sync recognzing mine. Frustrating as I can get in and out of the car a dozen times and it syncs up every time. Then on the very next entry into the car, I spend 5 minutes trying to connect it. Oh well... My phone (LG VX8700) isn't on the "list" at sync (as referenced by CorporateEdge) so I knew there might be issues. Up for new phone next year and will hopefully find one on the list that I like and go with it.

Well, I get into the Edge today to head up to the dealer.

When I started the vehicle, I saw the phone light up and a brief message on the radion panel. It connected!!!

Made a couple of calls, downlaoded my phonebook again (I deleted it all yesterday) and it is good to go. Go figure. :banghead:

My phone is a Motorola Razor and it's about a year and a half old.

I gave the contact person at my Ford dealer a call to advise that I wouldn't be coming in. She called me back a short time later and advised that they had a short meeting just this AM over this very issue. It's seems that my experience isn't an isolated one in this area.

Glad to hear you are up and running.

Its these minor (major?) issues that cause companies to severly hurt their reputations. Is it Ford or Sync ? I don't really care as it is a Ford vehicle I bought so its a Ford problem to me. Yes I know this is "technology" and things have bugs but if it I have to deal with it every time I get in the car a little irritant becomes a major pain after a while.

Think about good old Microsoft and Vista. Wonder how many people moved to Mac's or something else and now consider MS to be a producer of unreliable, inflexible products?

There, I feel much better now.

The single most important problem here is that Ford said it was a Verizon phone issue and Verizon said it was a Ford issue. Neither seemeed to have the technical knowledge to figure it out. The Verizon guy seemed to want to help a bit more than Ford did initially and I did get a free software upgrade for my phone.

I feel it's a Ford issue because I bought a Ford and they chose to offer the SYNC feature to their customers. They should be prepared to assist the customer with ANY problem arising from this technology.

I have a copy of the SYNC Handbook given to the Ford people which lays out how to assist the customer with the SYNC feature. It's pretty straight forward. I guess not many employees have read this handbook. Maybe that's why the salesman was so eager to give his copy away!

Anyway, my phone is still working...for now. :-)

• 1 month later...

This problem sounds all to familure with bluetooth in general.

Bluetooth technology is so hit and miss on the features that are supported, and so many phones have varying versions of bluetooth with or without disabled bluetooth features you can use with the phone.

i have had problems at times with my SYNC system not connecting to my wifes and my own phone. but mostly its because either my phone was off before entering the car, and i turned the phone on when in the car. it never likes to connect automaticly or manualy, i have to re-pair it sometimes with the sync system by removing the partner ship from the car and the phone. it's also a problem with the fact that i have my wifes phone set as the primary phone in the car. so it connects to her phone before it will connect to mine. and when her phone is not near the car and only mine is, i still have to manaly tell it to connect since it's not the primary phone.

you will find that bluetooth is more of an issue with a phone than the SYNC system. that statment is more understood when you understand how SYNC works. i have had so many problems with Bluetooth over the years its not funny. when it works, its awesome. when it doesnt, its a pain in the butt.

I have at one time locked up my edges nav unit when trying to sync with Bluetooth, and had to shut the system off completely and back on to even get it to do anything, but that’s due to the fault of Bluetooth.

Like it was said earlier, if you have problems with it, remove the relationships from both the car, and your phone. Then power both the phone and car completely off. Then back on. make sure both Bluetooth devices are back on with Bluetooth enabled before trying to pair one with the other, and remember, if it takes you too long to enter in your pair code, it will time out and you will need to try to pair it again. I have not had to re-pair both my phones on the SYNC system in the past 8 months or so but I have had problems at times with it not working as I want it to. Nothings perfect :(

Edited by siphen

I too have issues with the sync of my Blackberry 8830 with Sync (no pun intentded). I've searched some forums and found that the solution for the 8830 is to completely reboot (pull the battery if necessary) to get a reboot to occur. Even after doing this, getting the phone to pair with the Sync Bluetooth is difficult.

Before my Edge, I had a 2004 Toyota Prius. The bluetooth in that thing would pair with the phone even when the phone was in the kitchen and the car was in the garage! The Sync bluetooth is not copacetic with most Blackberrys from what I understand. Those of us that would like to use our phone consistently hands-free with Sync should complain long and loud. It won't be until they know the true extent of the user base that they will be concerned about fixing the firm-ware in the Sync bluetooth system.

BP

When we got our 2008 Edge, our salesman paired my Motorola/Verizon bluetooth-enabled cell phone service with the SYNC in the vehicle.

For the most part, it has worked w/o problem until yesterday.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with their Edge or SYNC in general?

Well, I've come to the conclusion that the SYNC system (in my Edge) is a POS!!!

I activate the system, it asks for a command, I say call...it asks for the number/who to call. I give it a person listed in my down loaded phone book and it begins to dial someone completely different!!!

It will do this three or four times in a row!!!!! :banghead:

It only works well on incoming calls.

Edited by Retired_97

• 4 weeks later...

I activate the system, it asks for a command, I say call...it asks for the number/who to call. I give it a person listed in my down loaded phone book and it begins to dial someone completely different!!!

I have the same issues with another Bluetooth item ..NOT SYNC . I have a Sony Ericcson speakerphone that does the same thing . I've found making the names far different and pronouncing them well helps greatly . Fortunately the Sony device states the call its going to make and then asks the next closer in pronunciation if I say no to it dialing a number.. I have it happen less frequently now that I've changed some names in my address book. i think its an issue with the voice recognition software in general on many Bluetooth devices..

Try changing a couple of the names in your menu that it confuses and see if that takes care of the issue.

Edited by BLACK ICE

might want to get and try the free SYNC 1.1 update now available... http://www.syncmyride.com/

"This connectivity update is a customer-install release which improves the reliability of both Bluetooth and USB connections to SYNC. The Bluetooth enhancements improve the stability of hands-free calls, call waiting, caller ID, multiple call handling and other mobile phone features. The USB enhancements improve support for media players and the playing of file formats and podcasts."

might want to get and try the free SYNC 1.1 update now available... http://www.syncmyride.com/

"This connectivity update is a customer-install release which improves the reliability of both Bluetooth and USB connections to SYNC. The Bluetooth enhancements improve the stability of hands-free calls, call waiting, caller ID, multiple call handling and other mobile phone features. The USB enhancements improve support for media players and the playing of file formats and podcasts."

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the file last night and installed it this morning. Seems to work but only time will tell.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problems with my bluetooth phone as well and downloading the update from Sync has addressed all the issues I've had. It's working perfect since I've done the update. One thing I did find helpful that wasn't available on the Sync website was to Delete all the phones in the Sync device after the update and then go into settings on my bluetooth phone and rename the device to my name. Then I re-paired the two and have not had a problem since.

I had the same problems with my bluetooth phone as well and downloading the update from Sync has addressed all the issues I've had. It's working perfect since I've done the update. One thing I did find helpful that wasn't available on the Sync website was to Delete all the phones in the Sync device after the update and then go into settings on my bluetooth phone and rename the device to my name. Then I re-paired the two and have not had a problem since.

I never had to do that, BUT this update did fix the 3 main Sync issues I was having with music player connection.. I never had BT issues though. but hey, if it worked it worked

• 1 month later...

My theory is that Ford has to engineer their system to the products already out in the market. It's like Ford selling a car with a radio that only picked up stations on the upper half of the FM band. You take it to the dealer and they say it's operating like it was designed to.

That doesn't make it right. Like saying it's an Ipod issue when the Ipod was around way before sync. Plus I feel that since Microsoft has designed the sync system and is in competition with Apple / Mac then they purposely made it to have problems with the Ipod.

Just my 2 cents.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a similiar issue. When my phone's bluetooth is on and i enter the Edge it Auto-connects (Displaying it DID connect on the both radio and my phone) However, When a call comes in and i answer it Via the radio It answers and ends the call. The only solution for this that i have found is that if I Manually connect Via the phone to My sync, then it works flawlessly UNTIL i leave the edge, Then i must repeat the manual connection. While on Long trips this is not a problem, Its a huge inconvience for IN-N-OUT days when i have to keep manually connecting it. Any advice?

2008 Edge Limited

Phone-Verizon Casio Boulder

:stop: P.S. its not that I am plain lazy :baby: ,Iam handicapped and I drive with hand controls