Buy a used 1st gen 2014 or used 2nd gen 2015 Edge?

We're looking to replace my wife's 2004 Lexus RX-330.  It's got 151,000 miles and is in need of some repairs and maintenance that's made us decide it's time to move up a bit.  Got it from original owner in 2010 with 48,000 miles.  It's served us well.  We typically drive Hondas, but the Lexus was a unique opportunity.  

The Ford Edge is at the top of our list.  $15,000 is the top limit of our budget.  

Must haves:

2014 or newer (don't want to replace an aging car with anything less than 10 years newer)

Leather seats

8" display (because I'll do the Sync 3 upgrade soon)

Everything else we're pretty flexible about.

So, I realize the 2014s are the last of a generation and for a little bit more we can get a 2015.  It may ultimately come down to what kind of deal I can find on either one.  

I've driven a 2016 but not a 2014 yet.

Any advice (besides a few test drives, that we're preparing to take) on how to choose between the two?

While the idea of getting a 2015 may seem tempting, I'd have to suggest to take a look at the 2016s.  In my neck of the woods they're similarly priced.  

I would not buy a 2014 unless my options were limited and the budget dictated it.   

What trims are you considering?  The only trims that are comparable to your Lexus would be the titanium and the sport.   I understand the love affair with Honda. Every manufacturer has their niggles and their issues but Hondas have great warranties and usually drop dead reliable. At least in my experience.  You can get close to the same level of reliability with your edge with proper maintenance.

I also understand the need to steer away from Honda because most of them (not all) look like and feel like appliances. Don't get me wrong they have great packages and options.  Ford would benefit by implementing some of their features but I digress.  A lot of the Hondas I see on the road just seem like they lost their soul. They're not visually appealing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

While the idea of getting a 2015 may seem tempting, I'd have to suggest to take a look at the 2016s.  In my neck of the woods they're similarly priced.  

I would not buy a 2014 unless my options were limited and the budget dictated it.   

Thanks for that feedback.

Are you suggesting the 2016 mostly because "why not" since the price is about the same?  Or is there some improvement on the 2016 you like?

Also, could you elaborate on your statement about the 2014?

I'd go with the 2016 mostly because why not.  You might be able to find a 2016 that still has some factory warranty left. Which in turn will allow you to buy an extended warranty for a cheaper price.  The extended warranty will be more expensive if the edge is out of warranty.  (If having an extended warranty is important to you, some people chose to self insure and save for repairs etc, some like peace of mind that the extended warranty assures them but that's a different conversation)

You also have your choice of 2.0 ecoboost or 3.5V6 in the 2015+ or 2.7 ecoboost if you decide to go with a sport. 

Keep in mind that the 2015+ is the last year that the sport trim is available in FWD. 2016+ the sport trim is only available in AWD. The 2015+ AWD have a drain hole on the PTU which allows for easier fluid changes.  

Every manufacturer learns from their mistakes/ missteps from the previous generation.  Ford implemented a ton of improvements in the 2015+

If I were to choose a 14 over a 15 it would be due to the fact that I like the body style more than the 15-18. 

It would need to have good service records and I would be prepared to put the difference of the savings of the price into immediate maintenance.  (plugs, coil packs, filters fluid changes etc. Transmission flushed and changed, at minimum drain and filled.)

I would go with FWD unless I absolutely needed AWD.  AWD is great in the snow etc but can potentially have issues with the PTU. (Edge transfer case) Then again studies have proven that FWD is equal to if not superior than AWD with proper tires and good driving habits. 

My ladies 2013 edge is on its 3rd PTU.  I had it replaced under warranty and she had it replaced under warranty. The extended drivetrain warranty has expired and it served its purpose.  She's well aware of the potential problems with the water pump and PTU.  We change the PTU fluid every other oil change and we change the coolant once a year regardless of the mileage.  Fun fact she does less than 1 mile/ day.  She loves the car and its paid for. But we already had the discussion of what if and what we are prepared to do in case of. 

There have been some cases of PTU failures in the 2015+ but nothing like the 2011-2014.

Some say that they 3.5 has a potential flaw with the internal water pump. Fords declaration of proper maintenance seems ambiguous and is open to interpretation if the maintenance will prevent a water pump failure.   

I have not heard of any water pump failures on the 3.5V6 in the 2015+.   I'm sure some exist but I don't recall hearing of them.  I have heard of some failures with the Taurus. 

As you know all vehicles require proper maintenance.  I'm not trying to scare you nor deter you from a 2014. There are members here with 200K+ miles on their 2011-2014 edges!   You would just need to be more mindful and diligent with it.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Every manufacturer learns from their mistakes/ missteps from the previous generation.  Ford implemented a ton of improvements in the 2015+

Yep, that's the key, isn't it.  I'd have to find a substantial buy / discount on a 14 to make it worthwhile.  

Thanks for all the detailed helpful information (which I'm sure has been posted elsewhere on here so thanks for not telling me to search for it, like what happens on a lot of forums... I'm overwhelmed with all the decisions I need to make throughout this process so I do appreciate it!)

Right we've got a 2016 SEL with AWD for an extended test drive.  Good relationship with the guy at the Ford dealer, just let me take the car for a few hours.  The wife took it for a spin by herself.  Will be interesting to hear her feedback when she returns.

And thanks for the heads up on the AWD issues.  I have almost zero desire for AWD and suspected there might be issues.  There would be potentially with any vehicle since you've got a more complex system.  

Finally, talked to a neighbor who just got a 2012 with the glass roof.  He really loves that roof.  I think I'd like it too, unless they ALL leak and or they ALL squeak.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3 octobre 2019 at 3:07 AM, timeshifter said:

Must haves:

2014 or newer (don't want to replace an aging car with anything less than 10 years newer)

Leather seats

8" display (because I'll do the Sync 3 upgrade soon)

Everything else we're pretty flexible about.

So, I realize the 2014s are the last of a generation and for a little bit more we can get a 2015.  It may ultimately come down to what kind of deal I can find on either one.  

I've driven a 2016 but not a 2014 yet.

Any advice (besides a few test drives, that we're preparing to take) on how to choose between the two?

"timeshifter", here's my advice: If you want an"updateable to Sync 3 system", then get yourself a 2016 and NOT a 2015 or older because the on-screen display is the old style (like in the 2014's and older) and I'm not sure you can update them to "Sync 3". The newer, compatible system came out with the 2016 model year and definitely can be updated. I know because I did the update on my 2016 (before selling it to my father-in-law).

…but other than that, there's nothing wrong with a 2014 and older (my girlfriend still has my previous 2011 MKX), it's just that they might not be as "high-tech"compatible as the newer generation.

Good luck in your search,

Claude. :thumbsup:

P.S:  …and about the glass roof, just to re-assure you, I've owned 3 Edges, all with the panoramic sunroof and none ever leaked or squeaked….and all of them also were AWD and again not a single issue with them, so don't be worried about the roof or the AWD. Hope this helps...

Edited by 2FAST4U