Reverse Light Upgrade

Just got my 2019 Titanium a couple of weeks ago.  Noticed that they reverse lights are a bit weak.  Had an Escape previously, that had much brighter reverse lights(guessing cause they weren't LED).  I know upgrading the lights is out of th e question with new LED design.  Came across this  https://www.vleds.com/shop-products/lp-series.html

Anyone have any experience with accessing the wiring and whatnot in the hatch?  Could easily run wire behind backup cam, but am clueless as to how to access anything in the hatch.  

Have used multiple VLED products in the past and have been very happy.  Pricey, but you get what you pay for.  Actually used their puddle lights for my Edge and they are great. 

Access to hatch wiring is fairly simple.  Remove the pull handle on the passenger side of the panel and the screw(s) underneath.  After those screws are out just start popping the panels off with a plastic tool or padded screwdriver.  Once you get a panel started you can get your fingers under it and just move around the edges popping clips.  You 'might' be able to access the reverse light harness with only one panel removed.  If not then pull the next one. 
If you work better with pictures than descriptions download the factory service manual from MacT garage.  Here's a link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Kv_Hsy6bOToW-NiO3ME9mY5TRvoHYKlS

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

To steamroll9. Have the same Edge as you and the same poor back up lights and was looking at the Vleds . There doesn't appear to be much room to mount the light at the top of the plate. Did you install a Vleds and if so , how well does it work?

Thanks

Al