Power difference with 87 vs 93 octane

IT_Guy71

When mine was on the stock tune there was a noticeable difference in power.  The ratings that Ford posts of 335/380 is what is achieved with 93 octane fuel.  They do not post what 87 produces.  But if it is like the Focus ST it was the same torque no matter what fuel but the Focus for 9 less horsepower and it may not seem like a lot but the timing is not advanced as much with the 87 so you can tell when flooring it and getting into higher RPM's.  I assume the power difference is more than 9 horses on the Edge though. 

• Like 3

In my stock 2015 edge sport.....(no tune)...I did not notice any difference in power or fuel economy when comparing 87 to 94.  It wasnt until I used the LMS tune did the higher octane gas make any difference....but then each tune is designed around a specific octane.

Edited by cds71
  • Like 1

There are alot of other variables that will determine power output and how much of it you notice. The computer is trying to prevent pre-ignition and will adjust timing and boost accordingly. Temp, elevation, quality of fuel and your driving habits will effect the power numbers. If you never go beyond 1/2 throttle there is no reason to use 93. There likely is little to no difference in power when your staying out of boost.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...