Lighting Project #1 - LED Headlights and headlight assembly restoration

Since my passenger side HID has died (ballast) and neither of my spares worked, I am just going to yank the whole kit out and go LED.  With that said, I have looked at multiple kits.  The first kit was the Morimoto 2 Stroke (5000 lumens per side).  Note I said was.  The 2 Stroke 2.0 is not nearly as bright as the original 2 Stroke.  The lumen rating is around 2400 lumens per bulb (barely brighter than my 1600 lumen HIDs per bulb).  I also looked at the Diode Dynamics kit and the lumen rating was actually less than my HIDs.  I even went on Amazon and looked at some of their kits but was very skeptical of the quality.

Therefore, the one I am choosing is the VLEDs Micro Extreme at 7600 lumens per bulb.  I know some folks are going to balk but I do have special circumstances where brighter light is going to be needed (e.g. I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson is pretty much pitch black). I will give a full writeup when I get them installed. 

However, the secondary issue is that the Arizona sun has literally beaten the hell out of the plastic on my assemblies and they need work.  I have been looking at various items to correct the clear plastic but am interested in the Chemical Guys Headlight restorer.  Given that I also have a rotary buffer and a random orbital, I also wanted a product I could use with those two buffers.  I am also looking at a good cutting pad and finishing pad to work with this combination.  On top of that, I am considering wetsanding the plastic (600 grit and 2500 grit) to clear things up.

Stay tuned..........

• 2 weeks later...

Diode Dynamics lumen rating is lower because DD actually owns a $100,000. Intergrating Sphere used to measure lumens. VLEDs rating is “Actual” 4,500 Lm per bulb, not 7,600 (says it right on the site) which is a estimate. Either way. You will still be running the wrong bulb in the wrong housing and a halogen will give you better usable light, just not brighter.

I would suggest going back halogen as well. I put some Vosla +50 bulbs in our recently. Very noticeable difference, even over the Vosla +30 we had in there for about 2 years. Bought mine from the candlepower store web site. But I will  add, regardless of what you do, our headlamps suck! No side vision.

600 grit seems too aggressive. I would start with 800 then switch to 1000 to level the scratches out.  After 1000 go to 2000 and finish with McGuire's polishing compound and a nice glaze all with the rotary  polisher with a wool bonnet.  I did mine that way after they were in Arizona and Louisiana for years.  They look like new.  They need a once a year buffing because they don't have the UV protective coating on them after sanding. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...