Sign in to follow this  
DrivingofftheEdge

Put flex fuel (e55-e85) in my EcoBoost 2.0, should I worry???

Check engine light came on with P0171 bank 1 lean code. Is the fuel the cause and should I keep running it, put an octane boost in it or empty the tank?

I am pretty sure the fuel pump can not flow enough for E85 and the engine is in no way tuned for it.  I would personally empty the tank as much as possible. 

Dropping the tank might be the only way.  How much is in it now?  If it's a half tank or less you might be able to fill it up with pure gasoline and dilute it enough to get by and do it again at 3/4 tank.  But use pure gasoline not E10.

Octane isn't the problem - ethanol has a lot higher octane than E-10.

The check engine seems to only come on when I'm driving in the morning when its colder out. Probably because that's when it's looking for more fuel the most. It's not running bad or rough, but I dont want to screw anything up. 

Ethanol has a very high evaporation temperature, so it doesn't like cold starts.  That's one of the main reasons most vehicles are not E85 compatible.  Another reason is because the ethanol can "eat" rubber and other components in the fuel system over time.

My advice would be to just keep filling up the gas tank with some good premium non-ethanol fuel every day or two until you've put about 15 gallons in.  That will dilute it down until eventually you're back to normal.  Just take it super easy driving on cold starts and try to stay out of the boost at all times.  I think one tank won't be enough to do any permanent damage, but that's just my opinion, no guarantees.

• Like 1