Counter-intuitive, backwards cupholders? WTF Ford?

Ok, so this may seem a small annoyance, but I want to see if anyone can explain the reasoning behind this insane cupholder design (2019 Edge):

The console cupholders have four spring-loaded hinged "clamps" to hold in the cup as you slide it down into it.   However, the hinge of these is on the *bottom* of the clamp so for the clamps to compress inward, they must travel *upward*, against the cup that you're putting in!  You need to overcome your own force to get the springs to compress inward.  If you're putting in a styrofoam cup or paper drink cup--forget it--you'll crush the cup. 

Even with a heavy ceramic cup I've found that the force needed to push the cup in to overcomes the counter-intuitive upwards movement of the clamps always causes a sudden jolt--and now I've spilled coffee.   

I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed this and if maybe I'm missing something and there actually is some method behind this madness.

I don't remember where I saw it or I'd offer a link but....on one of the Edge forums someone had removed the cup holder panel from the console (just pull up) and removed the plastic tubing that acts as the spring.  If I recall correctly he just pulled it back off of those 'claws' fixing the issue you're describing.  It'd be easy to do or undo (if you don't like the fix).

1 hour ago, Gadgetjq said:

I don't remember where I saw it or I'd offer a link but....on one of the Edge forums someone had removed the cup holder panel from the console (just pull up) and removed the plastic tubing that acts as the spring.  If I recall correctly he just pulled it back off of those 'claws' fixing the issue you're describing.  It'd be easy to do or undo (if you don't like the fix).

That sound like it'll work, I'll give that a try, thanks!

2 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

that was me  :)