Another Lighting/FORScan Mod

Gadgetjq

Woo Hoo, it’s Another 2nd Gen FORScan/Lighting Mod for those with halogen headlight equipped Edges (because we can)

You’ve seen late model cars and trucks (including some Edges) make a turn signal stand out by turning off the Daytime Running Light (DRL) when the blinker is activated on that side.  Check the front of your Edge to see what you have (the transmission has to be in D for DRLs to come on).  If you have halogen bulbs from the factory chances are 'they' are your DRLs and don't turn off when the flasher comes on.

I’d already done a couple of mods, swapping out my turn signal bulbs for LED switchbacks, changing my high beam bulb to an LED designed for DRL and fog light use and moving my DRL to the high beam bulb.  I noticed other drivers waiting to see if I was going to make a turn, even though my signal was on.  I concluded the flashing amber might be getting lost inside all the bright white.  The solution is a very simple FORScan change.  Here’s how to do all of it (or just pick the part you like).

Parts Needed

1-pair Switchback turn signal bulbs.  Here’s an affordably priced set I used as a proof of concept but ended up being good enough to keep:  https://amzn.to/34GdS8t  Note there’s a huge variation in pricing for switchbacks from vendor to vendor.  

1-pair LED bulbs to replace Halogen high beam: https://amzn.to/36IMvw7  or similar
Note, you don’t lose your high beam functionality (DRLs are off when your headlights turn on) but these bulbs won’t be as bright as the OEM halogen.  I live in an area with brightly lighted streets and highways so haven’t used high beams in years.

FORScan to make some changes to your Edge’s modules.  If you’re not familiar with the program it’s downloadable from forscan.org.  You can register for a free renewable license good for 2 months at a time.  Be sure to read the tutorial before making any changes to your Ford vehicle and BACK UP your oem settings before making changes so you can roll back if something doesn’t work as expected.  Did I mention BACK UP your settings!

Using FORScan requires an OBDII reader that plugs into the port under your dash.  An inexpensive reader that’s fully compatible with the program can be found here:  https://amzn.to/32ttqek  You can cheap out and get one of the $15 readers but it won't see all of your car's modules.

You’ll need PC to run FORScan but it needn’t be fancy.  Even one of the little Atom processor netbooks will work fine as long as it has a USB port and is running literally any version of Windows from Win2000 to XP, Win7 and 8-10.

How To

Install the switchbacks in place of your OEM turn signal bulbs.  They’re pretty much plug and play except you connect one extra wire to any switched source in the under hood fuse box.  That wire powers the white LEDs of the switchback that are on when turn signals aren’t flashing.

Install the LED replacement for your high beam.  This one is truly plug and play.

In FORScan you’ll make the following changes:

Set DRL To Specific Front Lights

(BdyCM)  726-45-01
xxxx XXxx xxxx Set value at XX to 7F .  This enables the second change

BdyCM (as built)
726-50-01  XXxx  xxxx  xxxx
Change XX to 20 to enable DRL high beams  (there are other codes to set other lights as your DRLs, check the FORScan spreadsheet)

To turn off DRL on the side a turn signal is flashing change:

BdyCM (as built)

726-26-02 xxxX  xxxx  xxxx   Change X to 1=enable 0=disable

Have fun!

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Thanks 1

Not to break up the fun here…but my '19 Titanium already does that from the factory. When using the turn signal (flasher) , the daytime running light automatically turns off until the turn is completed and the turn signal returns to the "off" position, and then the daytime running light comes back on again.

Claude.

@Gadgetjq

For for sharing. But like what @2FAST4U stated, even my 2016 had this from the factory, but I guess this is because I have factory HID and factory enabled DRL. Never the less, it is still very useful for those who don't have enabled from the factory.

I have a suggestion/comment, instead using your Highbeams as DRLs and losing power with LEDs their, why not use the turn signals as your DRL? you already have switchbacks, so they will be white anyway.

8 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

Not to break up the fun here…but my '19 Titanium already does that from the factory.

Wonderful but my '16 didn't offer that function from the factory (the module was turned off).  Now that they know how to do it, anyone with a '15-'19 no matter what their trim level can have what your Edge has.  Cool?

7 hours ago, omar302 said:

even my 2016 had this from the factory, but I guess this is because I have factory HID and factory enabled DRL. Never the less, it is still very useful for those who don't have enabled from the factory.

I have a suggestion/comment, instead using your Highbeams as DRLs and losing power with LEDs their, why not use the turn signals as your DRL? you already have switchbacks, so they will be white anyway.

My Edge was equipped with Halogen headlights from the factory and 'they' were programmed to be the DRLs.  Just a guess, those of you with HID from the factory have another bulb set as your DRL? 
I'm using the high beam for three reasons.  1. As I mentioned in the OP I have no use for the high beam.  I rarely drive at night and when I do my area offers well lighted roads both city and highway. Drivers here could, literally, turn headlights off in many areas and not even notice it.  There are no deer to jump out in front of us. :)   That said, I still have the high beam available, it just isn't optimum.    2.  I simply like the look of having both the turn signal and high beam on as a combo DRL.   3.  Because I can.  ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

Just a guess, those of you with HID from the factory have another bulb set as your DRL? 

For the 2015-2018 models with factory HID, the projector for the low beam (outer lights) has a shield that opens and closes for Low/High beam operation. Bi-Xenon is the more common name. In the inner lights there is an H15 bulb that is only wired for the DRL part. I came to know that the H15 bulb is a dual filament bulb designed for DRL and High beam operation, but the Edge only utilities the DRL part.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, omar302 said:

For the 2015-2018 models with factory HID, the projector for the low beam (outer lights) has a shield that opens and closes for Low/High beam operation. Bi-Xenon is the more common name. In the inner lights there is an H15 bulb that is only wired for the DRL part. I came to know that the H15 bulb is a dual filament bulb designed for DRL and High beam operation, but the Edge only utilities the DRL part.

Thanks for the schooling.  It seems odd that Ford would install two completely different lighting systems in essentially the same vehicle.  Mine's a '16 Titanium but had different bulbs serving different functions, probably because I don't have the driver assist package.  Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 11/6/2019 at 6:15 PM, Gadgetjq said:

Woo Hoo, it’s Another 2nd Gen FORScan/Lighting Mod for those with halogen headlight equipped Edges (because we can)

You’ve seen late model cars and trucks (including some Edges) make a turn signal stand out by turning off the Daytime Running Light (DRL) when the blinker is activated on that side.  Check the front of your Edge to see what you have (the transmission has to be in D for DRLs to come on).  If you have halogen bulbs from the factory chances are 'they' are your DRLs and don't turn off when the flasher comes on.

I’d already done a couple of mods, swapping out my turn signal bulbs for LED switchbacks, changing my high beam bulb to an LED designed for DRL and fog light use and moving my DRL to the high beam bulb.  I noticed other drivers waiting to see if I was going to make a turn, even though my signal was on.  I concluded the flashing amber might be getting lost inside all the bright white.  The solution is a very simple FORScan change.  Here’s how to do all of it (or just pick the part you like).

Parts Needed

1-pair Switchback turn signal bulbs.  Here’s an affordably priced set I used as a proof of concept but ended up being good enough to keep:  https://amzn.to/34GdS8t  Note there’s a huge variation in pricing for switchbacks from vendor to vendor.  

1-pair LED bulbs to replace Halogen high beam: https://amzn.to/36IMvw7  or similar
Note, you don’t lose your high beam functionality (DRLs are off when your headlights turn on) but these bulbs won’t be as bright as the OEM halogen.  I live in an area with brightly lighted streets and highways so haven’t used high beams in years.

FORScan to make some changes to your Edge’s modules.  If you’re not familiar with the program it’s downloadable from forscan.org.  You can register for a free renewable license good for 2 months at a time.  Be sure to read the tutorial before making any changes to your Ford vehicle and BACK UP your oem settings before making changes so you can roll back if something doesn’t work as expected.  Did I mention BACK UP your settings!

Using FORScan requires an OBDII reader that plugs into the port under your dash.  An inexpensive reader that’s fully compatible with the program can be found here:  https://amzn.to/32ttqek  You can cheap out and get one of the $15 readers but it won't see all of your car's modules.

You’ll need PC to run FORScan but it needn’t be fancy.  Even one of the little Atom processor netbooks will work fine as long as it has a USB port and is running literally any version of Windows from Win2000 to XP, Win7 and 8-10.

How To

Install the switchbacks in place of your OEM turn signal bulbs.  They’re pretty much plug and play except you connect one extra wire to any switched source in the under hood fuse box.  That wire powers the white LEDs of the switchback that are on when turn signals aren’t flashing.

Install the LED replacement for your high beam.  This one is truly plug and play.

In FORScan you’ll make the following changes:

Set DRL To Specific Front Lights

(BdyCM)  726-45-01
xxxx XXxx xxxx Set value at XX to 7F .  This enables the second change

BdyCM (as built)
726-50-01  XXxx  xxxx  xxxx
Change XX to 20 to enable DRL high beams  (there are other codes to set other lights as your DRLs, check the FORScan spreadsheet)

To turn off DRL on the side a turn signal is flashing change:

BdyCM (as built)

726-26-02 xxxX  xxxx  xxxx   Change X to 1=enable 0=disable

Have fun!

Appreciate this dude! Just got a 2017 Edge SEL and was also wondering why it didn’t turn off like most cars.