Motorcraft strut mounts with Monroe struts?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 8:50 AM, mike dexter said:

Hey guys, got this job done over the Christmas holidays, and they work great now.  Thanks again.

Hi Mike,

I'm about to do my 2011 Limited struts. Did you have to remove the cowl above the strut to get the top bolts out?

How long did the whole job take? Any special tools beside spring compressors?

Any tips?

Thanks!

Edited by bb56
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 4:43 PM, bb56 said:

Hi Mike,

I'm about to do my 2011 Limited struts. Did you have to remove the cowl above the strut to get the top bolts out?

How long did the whole job take? Any special tools beside spring compressors?

Any tips?

Thanks!

My Edge is Gen 1.0, and yours is Gen 1.5, so perhaps there are some differences in this area.  I did not remove the cowl screen molding, but it was very tight getting to the nuts underneath it.  Ratchet wrenches definitely help with this.

No special tools other than the spring compressors.  Note that loading the strut into the cavity and attaching the top nuts is a two person job.  About 2 hours overall.

Thanks Mike. Very helpful to know. 

I've done struts in other cars and I agree that it is best to have 2 people when putting it back in, but I'm on my own for most of my auto repairs. I don't remember how difficult the last one as so I'll give it a go.

Glad there's no special tools required and I hope to come close to your 2 hours total. I'll be lucky to get one side in 2 hours - LOL!

UPDATE: I'm assuming you used quickstrut assemblies to replace the originals Mike. Two hours is impressive but I'm surprised how straightforward the job was. Each side took me 2 hours to take it out, disassemble it, build the new strut and replace it in the car.

When I bought the Motocraft struts, I could not find them with springs and all. I watched MacT's video and he made it look difficult. I think the hardest part was the very time consuming upper 4 bolts where the cowling is - not only in the way , (can't use socket wrench) but also the outermost rear bolt is covered so closely that it is tough to get a closed end box wrench on them.  Passenger side was worse and I had to remove the 10 mm bolt where the cowling meets the fender to flex the cowling up enough to get the wrench on it.

The borrowed spring compressors worked like a charm but getting the center shock nut off was tricky. The strut shaft has a 10 mm head and luckily a 13/16 offset box wrench fit down into the well. Breaking it loose required placing another long wrench between two of the upright bolts then laying it down on the floor to prevent spinning. The same technique worked when tightening the new one. 

I was able to put the whole assembled strut back without help as you can see the upper bolt holes pretty clearly. I rested the strut assembly on the half shaft with a piece of wood between them, then stood up and screwed the upper 4 bolts finger tight. Then I positioned the lower bolt holes and replaced the two big main bolts and 24 mm nuts. I couldn't have done it without the 13 mm ratchet-end box wrench I borrowed. It was a big time saver getting the upper nuts off.

Now she's quiet as a mouse when I make turns. I'm hoping the new mounts don't fail because of what looked like missing 2 ball bearings in each one.

Cheers and thanks for the help.

Edited by bb56
updated with results