Keyless Entry 2017 SEL

First time in this forum; first time I have owned a Ford since 1964 Fairlane.  Thought I would give it a shot.  Chose this 2017 Edge SEL as it was priced just right for us and had most of the options we were looking for.

Enough of that; my question is  ( could have gone down town to a dealership but wanted to start up in this forum ) I was testing or checking out the keyless entry that is close to the drivers door.  I locked the doors, them moved the 2 key fobs well away form the car.  I used the code from the manual pouch and entered them correctly.  The doors ( all of them opened ) just fine, but the car would not start and an icon came up saying key fob not detected.  So, if I dropped my keys somewhere in a store but wanted to get in, start it and drive home where the other fob was located, this is not going to help much.  If I locked the key fob in the car I would be able to open the doors anyway I would think.  So, what is the purpose of that entry panel????  WE have figured out pretty much everything else, we think. Like pairing our 2 phones, using the NAV system, music ( I prefer to use a USB Stick, wife uses 1 CD);   next is to look at siriusxm to see if it of any use to us.

P.S.;  liking the car so far.  Enjoying the V6 which we had in previous GM cars.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums.

To answer your question, if you lock a fob inside the car you wouldn't be able to open the from the outside, unless you have the other fob with you of course. The door intelligent unlocking feature of the fob only works when the fob is outside the vehicle neer a door.

15 minutes ago, omar302 said:

Welcome to the forums.

To answer your question, if you lock a fob inside the car you wouldn't be able to open the from the outside, unless you have the other fob with you of course. The door intelligent unlocking feature of the fob only works when the fob is outside the vehicle neer a door.

Thanks for the welcome;  good to know about key left inside; another unknown. So, as with any other car, If I am unlucky enough to lose a fob while out shopping, I would have to get a ride home to get the spare or get it delivered by my wife if she is available.  Thought there might be some secret FORD method;  guess I could get a new secret-key cut  and hide it somewhere on the chassis like I did with other cars and trucks.   Thanks again;  this car does not have a difficult learning curve but not going to learn it all at once; first week of ownership.

30 minutes ago, CARR142 said:

You could wrap the other fob with aluminum foil and hide it the vehicle.

This is what I've done since 2011.

Best Wishes and Welcome back to Ford.

Not bad; right now one resides in my wife's purse and the other I keep with me.  Will discuss it with her.  I will look into my other idea of a spare KEY;  will visit local Ford dealership and talk to them;  will get a feel about how helpful and friendly they are.  The dealership where I bought it is only about 40 min away but this one is closer.  Shouldn't have to visit them for almost 6 months.

17 hours ago, Needle said:

If I locked the key fob in the car I would be able to open the doors anyway I would think. 

It's actually difficult to unintentionally lock your fob in the car  If it's inadvertently left inside the doors will refuse to lock 'unless' you override the safety feature by locking with the keypad.  The primary purpose of the keypad (as I see it) is to unlock the door to grab something from inside the car when you don't have the fob with you.  You can then relock using the pad.  As for starting the car if you lose the fob....well, you can't just as if you'd lost an ignition key.  If you could then anybody could drive off with the vehicle right?

Be sure to read your owner's manual (every single page) and operate each feature that's described.  You'll find other uses for the keypad including the ability to leave the engine running, lock the doors and walk away....handy if you want to keep the AC or heat on for a short run into the quickie mart. 

BTW, there are things you can do to be certain nobody can drive away with your Edge if you 'do' leave it locked and running....but that's for another post.

5 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

It's actually difficult to unintentionally lock your fob in the car  If it's inadvertently left inside the doors will refuse to lock 'unless' you override the safety feature by locking with the keypad.  The primary purpose of the keypad (as I see it) is to unlock the door to grab something from inside the car when you don't have the fob with you.  You can then relock using the pad.  As for starting the car if you lose the fob....well, you can't just as if you'd lost an ignition key.  If you could then anybody could drive off with the vehicle right?

Be sure to read your owner's manual (every single page) and operate each feature that's described.  You'll find other uses for the keypad including the ability to leave the engine running, lock the doors and walk away....handy if you want to keep the AC or heat on for a short run into the quickie mart. 

BTW, there are things you can do to be certain nobody can drive away with your Edge if you 'do' leave it locked and running....but that's for another post.

Thanks for that;  it has been interesting for sure going from a low-tech Saturn Vue ( it worked very well for us as a toad ) to this; so I am reading a lot and testing a lot.  I find more things to do each day I play.

21 hours ago, Needle said:

Not bad; right now one resides in my wife's purse and the other I keep with me.  Will discuss it with her.  I will look into my other idea of a spare KEY;  will visit local Ford dealership and talk to them;  will get a feel about how helpful and friendly they are.  The dealership where I bought it is only about 40 min away but this one is closer.  Shouldn't have to visit them for almost 6 months.

As long as you have two programmed fobs, you can program a third one yourself.  I would look at places like https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/  to buy a third fob.  Much cheaper than the dealer.  I bought from them and had no issues at all.