2019 Edge heated steering wheel

New 2019 Edge. Heated steering wheel shuts off on its own without going into the menu and turning it off. I can turn it on in the menu and it works well for 4 to 48 hours then shuts off. I know it only heats when the engine is running but the only way to turn it back on is by going to the menu. I would think it should stay on until you manually turn it off in the menu, like on a warm day or summer. The dealer tech said that it is normal. I tried calling Ford helpline and got someone from India and was told they cannot help with tech problems and I should go to the dealer. Question how is it suppose to operate. the owner's manual doesn't say?

I assume it is like the rear window defroster.  It runs for a predetermined amount of time and then it shuts off.  If you still need defrost, you manually turn it on for another cycle.

When mine came on with the recent cold, I had to manually turn it off sooner than its cycle because I thought the steering wheel was getting too hot.

There was a thread on here explaining how to change the heat settings with ForScan and one of the statements was about how the higher the set temperature the quicker the heating element would burn out.

I don't think it is meant to run continuously,  but someone with better knowledge may be along soon.

The HSWM (heated steering wheel module) is designed to remain on, heating the steering wheel and maintaining the temperature until switched off on the FDIM (the touchscreen display) or the ignition is turned off.

The above is from the service manual.  So if the indicator light for the heated steering wheel on the display is shutting off on its own, something is not working right.  The heating element itself may turn off and on in order to maintain its set temp but the indicator should remain lit once turned on.  It should have to be turned off by the user.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, spsiege said:

Thanks to everyone that answered. When the indicator symbol stays on it heats when the engine is running as per owner manual, but it totally shuts its self off and the indicator symbol is off also. I have to restart it in the menu.

You might want to take another try at it explaining yourself, because I suspect that I'm not the only one here that doesn't understand what you're getting at.

The HSWM (heated steering wheel module) is designed to remain on, heating the steering wheel and maintaining the temperature until switched off on the FDIM (the touchscreen display) or the ignition is turned off.

What part of that isn't working?

Take a screen shot of the place where you turn it on and where you've got to restart it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, spsiege said:

Thanks to everyone that answered. When the indicator symbol stays on it heats when the engine is running as per owner manual, but it totally shuts its self off and the indicator symbol is off also. I have to restart it in the menu.

Are you turning the engine off when this happens?  Or is it continuously running?

I know the engine has to be running for the steering wheel heat to work. This happens when I park the car then get back in. The steering wheel does not heat and the symbol on the screen is off. I go to the menu and turn it back on. I might stay on until I park it or it may be ok for two days then shuts itself off.

The dealer is going to update some software as there are several intermittent problems. The car is the titanium edition and has 4K miles on it. I hope the update fixed some of the problems because the problems are intermittent, and if the problem is not there when they check it there is not much they can do. I had to sell my firstborn to buy this car and it is just annoying.

1 hour ago, spsiege said:

I know the engine has to be running for the steering wheel heat to work. This happens when I park the car then get back in. The steering wheel does not heat and the symbol on the screen is off. I go to the menu and turn it back on. I might stay on until I park it or it may be ok for two days then shuts itself off.

As it should.