Newby

Dudester

Just signed up but have a few questions now  I Belong and have belonged to several automotive related forums but upon joining this  particular one, why do they ask for you "interests" and then say its a requirement and not visible to other users, only  seen by staff and myself?  Is my info now being sold from this site to participate here?  Other question that seems a little goofy as this is  Ford Edge forum , why do they ask the year of your car and then ask your current car ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dudester said:

Just signed up but have a few questions now  I Belong and have belonged to several automotive related forums but upon joining this  particular one, why do they ask for you "interests" and then say its a requirement and not visible to other users, only  seen by staff and myself?  Is my info now being sold from this site to participate here?  Other question that seems a little goofy as this is  Ford Edge forum , why do they ask the year of your car and then ask your current car ?

well arent we full of questions ;-).  

Maybe @akirby can help!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dudester said:

Why do they ask the year of your car and then ask your current car ?

I'll take a swing at this one.  You're asked for the year because people are notoriously bad about identifying the year of their Edge when asking questions.  That creates delays when other members try to help and have to ask "what year/generation is your car?"  Or worse, give you a wrong answer.  I notice you didn't fill in the year of your Edge so expect to be asked at some point when you have a question (or you can go back and change it in your profile).  You have to fill in the word "Edge" because the system is automated and can't add that on its own. 

As for the other 'interests' info, I suspect the sysops just try to get a feel for their memberships personalities.  Based on your post everyone now knows you're a curmugeonly type.     Offer some positive posts and creative ideas...prove me wrong.  :)

Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

I'll take a swing at this one.  You're asked for the year because people are notoriously bad about identifying the year of their Edge when asking questions.  That creates delays when other members try to help and have to ask "what year/generation is your car?"  Or worse, give you a wrong answer.  I notice you didn't fill in the year of your Edge so expect to be asked at some point when you have a question (or you can go back and change it in your profile).  You have to fill in the word "Edge" because the system is automated and can't add that on its own. 

As for the other 'interests' info, I suspect the sysops just try to get a feel for their memberships personalities.  Based on your post everyone now knows you're a curmugeonly type.     Offer some positive posts and creative ideas...prove me wrong.  :)

Cheers!

I will not admit that i have to google curmudgeonly........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This forum is also for MKX/Nautilus owners since they share a lot of things.  Or people who don't yet own an edge but are thinking about it.  Also it's just generic forum software.   Honestly not much attention has been paid to either those questions or whether they're displayed or not.   But I can assure you we're not selling that information.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 8:04 AM, Gadgetjq said:

Cheers!

Well lets just get this out of the way now!   First I don't need to prove anything to you. Your are right, I am bad tempered especially right now after just reading your reply with basically name calling. You may be one to fold over and give anyone you don't know  every piece of info about yourself but I am not.  My " interests" are of no one else's business. By the way, smart A$$  I did put in 2018 . 

Dudester,

It is not my intention to diminish nor dismiss how you feel.  Gadjetq does not need anyone to defend him. Gadjetq is a highly regarded and well respected member of the forum.  You have every option not to answer any of the profile questions if you feel they are invasive.  What you do not have the right to do is outright insult a member.  

I believe that when Gadjetq said "you are of the curmudgeonly type", he said it in a jocular manner. You are acting as if he offended your character and honor.  In today's age and society with the political climate being what it is. I am sure you have heard worse and judging by your reply may have said worse. I can't honestly believe that your skin is that thin to take offense what he said.

Secondly your response essentially proves him right.

By the way, just for the record your visible profile is still not correct.  Your model year and trim is still not complete.

Best Regards,

Onyx

53 minutes ago, Dudester said:

I am bad tempered especially right now after just reading your reply with basically name calling.

Good lord Dudester, chill!  Did you miss the smiley at the end of the paragraph you're referring to? 
I tried to answer your question as best I could with the information available.  If you saw my post as an attack then I apologize. 
I'd still like to suggest you revisit your profile to add the year of your edge or add a sig just so everyone knows how to respond if you ask a question about the car in the future.  Different years/models offer different features.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 7:23 AM, Dudester said:

We kinda went from 0-1000 real quick there bud.  You are gonna need thick skin around these parts.  tons of GREAT info here and the only source for aftermarket part lists and the like.  

I hope you find this place informative and fun and settle in soon.

Edited by Special_K
  • Like 1

Looks like I ruffles some feathers here but whether he meant it or not, I took it as a insult. HIs first post replying to mine in the Welcome thread no less is that I am "Curmudgeonly". I take a bit more offense that when I threw it back at him, the reply I get here is I am not supposed to insult a member, but yet the member insulted me first. You guys all may know him , but I don't.  All I asked was about the personal questions, particularly  my interests and that it is a requirement to be filled in and not seen by members. The only reason I see for asking that, is for data collection for advertisers.

a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person. ... frugal, miserly, thrifty, greedy, selfish, boorish, dour, sullen, rude, testy, ugly, morose, irritable, grouchy, grumpy, crusty, ornery, cantankerous, efficient, cost-effective.

11 hours ago, Dudester said:

Looks like I ruffles some feathers here but whether he meant it or not, I took it as a insult. HIs first post replying to mine in the Welcome thread no less is that I am "Curmudgeonly". I take a bit more offense that when I threw it back at him, the reply I get here is I am not supposed to insult a member, but yet the member insulted me first. You guys all may know him , but I don't.  All I asked was about the personal questions, particularly  my interests and that it is a requirement to be filled in and not seen by members. The only reason I see for asking that, is for data collection for advertisers.

a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person. ... frugal, miserly, thrifty, greedy, selfish, boorish, dour, sullen, rude, testy, ugly, morose, irritable, grouchy, grumpy, crusty, ornery, cantankerous, efficient, cost-effective.

Understood.  lets restart here man, welcome to the forums.  Your data is not being sold here, and the site asks about vehicle and general location information so the group can see what you own (Gen1, 1.5, 2, etc) so we can give you appropriate tech data to fix what ever problems that may arise or general info to make it more applicable to your specific chassis.  As for the location, it also lets us volunteer our time and expertise to lend a physical hand if need be.  @onyxbfly is a perfect example of this, he lives about 2 hours from us and we were able to greatly assist him and teach him things!  Wouldnt have known if he didnt have "US Northeast".

Sorry for the rough start man, again, welcome and i hope you find what you are looking for here.

• Like 1