Diagnose this noise?

ajpahl

Husband Bought a used 2018 Edge w 15k miles on it.  It’s the sport and really nice.  One thing bothering me and I thought I’d ask here before taking it to the dealer already.

the car makes a low pitched sort of rolling sound that I can start to hear about 40 mph and is loudest at 60 mph, but seems to fade away at faster speeds.  It’s a “whoah whoah” sound.  

any thoughts please?

• 3 weeks later...

So I just wanted to follow up, as I appear to have an answer but not sure if I'm happy with it.

The answer is..."operating as intended."  Apparently this pretty annoying noise is the twin turbos normally functioning.  Hm.  Ok, I am trying to ignore it, but boy is it annoying when I'm driving at 60mph. 

Does anyone else have a similar complaint?  I've had the mechanic look at it at the dealership where we bought it, and then brought it to the Ford dealership.  Both say the same thing.  Is this vehicle just equipped with an annoying sound?

Turbos will only make any noise when you are accelerating, and then it's either a high pitched whine or a whooshing noise that you hear.  Next time you hear the noise, try to put it in neutral and coast from 60 down to 40.  If you still hear the noise, then it is not the turbos.

could be wheel bearings, yes, already.  has happened on gen 2 vehicles before.  at those speeds, i would not rule them out.  especially if turning left vs turning right at those speeds makes a good bit of difference in the sound.

tires you can try to rule out via rotation and balancing.  but if all 4 are defective, you have a conundrum.