08 limited Edge dies when stopping.

Robot Dude

Looking to see if anyone else is seeing this.

My 08 Edge limited with 4,000 miles likes to die when I stop. It's happened twice in a week time frame. The first time I pulled into a parking place, and when I came to a complete stop the engine stopped at the same time. The second time I was backing out of my driveway and the engine stopped at the same time I fully braked to shift into drive... The gages and idiot lights are lit, but no vroom vroom. :(

History

o all 4 rotors replaced due to pitting at <200 miles.

o 2 x transmission slippage at < 2000 miles.

o 2 x engine dies at stop at < 4000 miles.

$32k is a lot to pay for a car with these sort of problems. The cool look does not compensate...

Looking to see if anyone else is seeing this.

My 08 Edge limited with 4,000 miles likes to die when I stop. It's happened twice in a week time frame. The first time I pulled into a parking place, and when I came to a complete stop the engine stopped at the same time. The second time I was backing out of my driveway and the engine stopped at the same time I fully braked to shift into drive... The gages and idiot lights are lit, but no vroom vroom. :(

History

o all 4 rotors replaced due to pitting at

o 2 x transmission slippage at

o 2 x engine dies at stop at

$32k is a lot to pay for a car with these sort of problems. The cool look does not compensate...

Sounds like bad gas to me.

Sounds like bad gas to me.

Um, would these help, Amphojel, AlternaGEL, Phillips’ Milk of Magnesia, Maalox, Mylanta, Basaljel, Alcalak, TUMS, Quick-Eze, Rennie, Titralac, Rolaids, Bicarbonate of soda, Alka-Seltzer, Talcid, Pepto-Bismol, Pepsil?

haha just kidding. Would an additive help? STP or something? Thanks, Jim

I would be stunned if it was water in gas. that would be a significant amount of water that generally only comes from long long long periods of car sitting - this is not seen in newer cars used daily - if it is condensation based. Just as rare would to have gotten a bad series of tank fills with water in it from a gas station.

these cars are so electronically controlled and dependent, an issue like that seems more likely to be related to electronics - even more so since it is happening only at stops - than actual bad fuel. if it were me, I would not put anything in that tank.. just take it to dealer and have them examine as your still in warranty.

I would be stunned if it was water in gas. that would be a significant amount of water that generally only comes from long long long periods of car sitting - this is not seen in newer cars used daily - if it is condensation based. Just as rare would to have gotten a bad series of tank fills with water in it from a gas station.

these cars are so electronically controlled and dependent, an issue like that seems more likely to be related to electronics - even more so since it is happening only at stops - than actual bad fuel. if it were me, I would not put anything in that tank.. just take it to dealer and have them examine as your still in warranty.

I agree it's rare but getting bad gas does happen - all it takes is a leak in the underground tank. That's why I suggested trying a different station, just to rule that out.

Take it back to the dealer. This engine is not getting enough gas or there is something wrong with the electronics. Could be anything from a bad fuel pump to some sort of computer issue or fuel injection issues or yes even bad gasoline- just be glad this doesn't happen while the car is moving.

Could be something as simple as a clogged fuel filter, from bad gas.

Speaking of bad gas, we had a 10:00 news item late last year.

A local gas station replaced 3 engines ( 1 was a 06 Volvo) and an undisclosed # of fuels system purge/clean.

But I'm voting on electronics, IF it runs ok except when stopping.

Keep us updated. :headscratch:

ab

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! It hasn't happened again since the first two times. I haven't done anything. I'm still on the same tank of gas. I do drive the car every day, but it's only a 10 minute drive to work. I will let you know if it happens again or not. I do love my Edge! Thanks, Jim

Edited by Robot Dude