2008 Edge stalls and won't restart after turning off

Laceekay

This car is driving me crazy. I've put about $2000 in parts into it in the past 6 months and seems to keep having issues. Ran really well the first year I owned it so I know it is capable of running well. Replace fuel pump in July 2019, replaced a fuel injector in November, replaced MAF sensor last month, and now it's stalling when I attempt to start it again 45 mins - 1 hour after driving it home from work. It's had a semi-rough idle for a while but has never stalled when I've been driving it. It only does it after sitting briefly and then trying to restart again. Never done it on a cold start. I read that sometimes the PCM needs to do a relearn, but I just pulled the battery for 10 minutes and still won't start. It cranks afterwards but won't catch. Also read that it could be the throttle position sensor, but with this car it is built into the throttle body and would be quite a bit to replace. I would like to see if anyone has any other ideas before I start throwing parts at it. Again.

What are the codes?  My guess would be throttle body as well.  The sensor is available separately as you can see on rockauto.com.  Thing with throttle body codes tho is that they are temporary and are erased upon restart.  So if the stall happens again, read codes with ignition on, but do not attempt to restart.

That 'hard start/stall' symptom is often caused by a bad purge valve.  Good news, it's not an expensive part and is easy to replace.  Here's a MacT YouTube video showing the replacement:

The cause of the failure is, sometimes, just age but it's also caused by overfilling the gas tank (clicking the nozzle after it first shuts off).

15 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

What are the codes?  My guess would be throttle body as well.  The sensor is available separately as you can see on rockauto.com.  Thing with throttle body codes tho is that they are temporary and are erased upon restart.  So if the stall happens again, read codes with ignition on, but do not attempt to restart.

I haven't seen it throw any codes/check engine has not come on at all. Would it throw a code that an OBD wouldnt be able to see?

On 1/24/2020 at 6:04 AM, Gadgetjq said:

That 'hard start/stall' symptom is often caused by a bad purge valve.  Good news, it's not an expensive part and is easy to replace.  Here's a MacT YouTube video showing the replacement:

We checked the purge valve last night and it seems to be working right. We disconnected the air hose and it definitely stalled the car and threw a code. When running and the valves blocked, it kept the vacuum and didn't have a problem running. I'm confident this is not the issue since it correctly diagnosed when we disconnected the hose. Going to get a throttle position sensor today and see if that helps any.

The intake temp sensor?  That is built into the MAF sensor.  Almost never see it go wrong unless the MAF is severely degraded, and almost never a code unless the MAF is disconnected.

I guess you could check to make sure the fuses and relays are firmly seated in the fusebox, but these symptoms do not seem typical of that either.

Could be a crank sensor, you would think it would throw a code tho ...

Fuel pumps might cause the stall, then restart after it has had time to cool down.  Do you hear it prime when you turn the ignition key to ON (but not START/RUN)?

On 1/26/2020 at 7:33 PM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

The intake temp sensor?  That is built into the MAF sensor.  Almost never see it go wrong unless the MAF is severely degraded, and almost never a code unless the MAF is disconnected.

I guess you could check to make sure the fuses and relays are firmly seated in the fusebox, but these symptoms do not seem typical of that either.

Could be a crank sensor, you would think it would throw a code tho ...

Fuel pumps might cause the stall, then restart after it has had time to cool down.  Do you hear it prime when you turn the ignition key to ON (but not START/RUN)?

We read about the issues ford has had with the throttle bodies and ordered a replacement. Tried that last night and its putting more of an effort into starting, but still stalls. 

Fuel pump is priming. I always listen for it. Maybe not pumping enough fuel to stay running?

• 1 year later...
On 1/29/2020 at 9:15 AM, Laceekay said:

We read about the issues ford has had with the throttle bodies and ordered a replacement. Tried that last night and its putting more of an effort into starting, but still stalls. 

Fuel pump is priming. I always listen for it. Maybe not pumping enough fuel to stay running?

Hello I am having the same issue, changed sparks, head temperature sensor and no improvements... Have you resolved the issued?

thanks!

40 minutes ago, Dome91 said:

Hello I am having the same issue, changed sparks, head temperature sensor and no improvements... Have you resolved the issued?

thanks!

Have you tried any diagnostics?

Read the stored error codes, ..... Autozone will do that free of charge.

8 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Have you tried any diagnostics?

Read the stored error codes, ..... Autozone will do that free of charge.

No errors stored, even with a dealer scanner. It is weird because every morning the engine will start at first attemp inmediately, but sitting down for 5-10 minutes or more and the problem occurs.

14 minutes ago, Dome91 said:

No errors stored, even with a dealer scanner. It is weird because every morning the engine will start at first attemp inmediately, but sitting down for 5-10 minutes or more and the problem occurs.

You didn't mention that.

It would most likely be more cost effective to pay a dealership to diagnose it - throwing parts at it typically costs way more in the end.

Edited by 1004ron

2 hours ago, Dome91 said:

thanks!

It was a faulty (new) fuel pump. I ended up taking it into an auto repair shop and they tested the pump for me. It was only pulling a fifth of the fuel it actually needed. Don't ever expect new parts to work correctly!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Laceekay said:

It was a faulty (new) fuel pump. I ended up taking it into an auto repair shop and they tested the pump for me. It was only pulling a fifth of the fuel it actually needed. Don't ever expect new parts to work correctly!

wow that is strange, since it was the first part you changed in 2019. I dropped the idea of the fuel pump because of your post and also the gas line pressure was ok. I will take to mechanic  next friday and ask them to pull out the fuel pump. will leave my comments, I cross fingers to get finally repair, the car works fine, no problems outside this but this hard start was making me crazy.