2016 Ford Edge SEL Sync 3 - All I need is New USB right?

I have a 2016 Ford Edge SEL (bought in Canada, manufactured in the Oshawa Ontario plant) and I'd love to get Apple Car Play so I can ditch the useless NAV (it's so out of date) for Waze and get my apps working properly. I've read countless threads on here and I keep getting conflicting info. As far as I know all I need is the USB hub:

HC3Z-19A387-B  for the Ford version (blue lighting around USB ports)

And the USB port faceplate:

GC3Z-19C149-A

I've already downloaded the latest Sync update from the Ford website (v3) as of yesterday (Feb 20, 2020).

But then I read on and people are talking about needing new screens and a whole lot of other stuff ... but then another thread says different. Anyone here can set me straight???? I've been living with this crappy v1 Sync since we bought the car back in late 2016.

On my 2016 Titanium, I did have to replace the usb hub and download some new updated software, but after it was done, it worked great! :2thumbs: I had it done at the dealer. Also, I'm using Android Auto so I don't know about Apple Car Play.

Claude. 

P.S: I didn't have to change any "faceplate"… :shrug: … also, all Edges are built at the Oakville, Ont. plant… (not Oshawa). ;)

Edited by 2FAST4U

On 2/21/2020 at 4:47 PM, 2FAST4U said:

On my 2016 Titanium, I did have to replace the usb hub and download some new updated software, but after it was done, it worked great! :2thumbs: I had it done at the dealer. Also, I'm using Android Auto so I don't know about Apple Car Play.

Claude. 

P.S: I didn't have to change any "faceplate"… :shrug: … also, all Edges are built at the Oakville, Ont. plant… (not Oshawa). ;)

Do you know what the the "updated software" was?  Or did you have that done at the dealer as well?

12 hours ago, Further North said:

Do you know what the the "updated software" was?  Or did you have that done at the dealer as well?

I just simply downloaded the latest update from https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

You have to create an account and register your vehicle by VIN to get access.

1 hour ago, kreeny80 said:

I just simply downloaded the latest update from https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

You have to create an account and register your vehicle by VIN to get access.

Thanks - I did the download last night, but I think I'm already updated, I am running version 3.0.

Ok, so some nice person ran into the rearend and did 3500 in damage.  They disconnected the battery before working on it and now Sync is slow and yesterday the navigation system froze.  So I want to try to update.  I see in the upper posts the new USB module.  Is the cable needed as well or just the module?

next question is how to get the update.  I went on the ford website and even chatted with someone and I was told by both places I have the current version, Sync 3.   While I do have Sync 3, I have Ver 1.0 with build number 15139.  If not from Ford, where do I get the latest Ver?

1 hour ago, gtojer said:

yesterday the navigation system froze.  So I want to try to update.  I see in the upper posts the new USB module.  Is the cable needed as well or just the module?

next question is how to get the update.  I went on the ford website and even chatted with someone and I was told by both places I have the current version, Sync 3.   While I do have Sync 3, I have Ver 1.0 with build number 15139.  If  not from Ford, where do I get the latest Ver?

Knowing the year of your Edge would be a big help but, since you have Sync3 I'll take a guess it's '16 or later.
To update Sync you just go to your Ford account, click the 'owners' tap then 'Sync Updates' link.  You should see an update to v3 ready and waiting for you.  Download it and install.
About the USB module, it's only required for the 2016 model and only if you'll be using CarPlay.  A new USB module isn't necessary if you want to use Android Auto.  Yes, a good quality USB data cable is necessary. 
And finally, try a reset of your Sync system.  It's lurking in your setup screen, probably under 'General.'

Apologies, I do have a 2016 SEL.  So I need to buy the cable on amazon that goes with the new usb hub?  

I have all Apple stuff so car play yes!

i have been to the ford site, put in my VIN and it tells me I have the latest and won’t go further.  Am I not in the right spot?

Any high quality data (not just charging) USB cable designed to work with your phone will work fine.  Based on previous posts cheap cables are frequently the cause of data loss between the phone and your head unit.
The new USB hub can be found at your dealer or at eBay or Amazon.  Here's a link:  https://amzn.to/39kp658
About your update I'm stumped.  Unless you or another owner tried to update the system and reported it as updated the V3 files should be here waiting for you: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html?gnav=header-owner 

Three other options:

1. Have you tried an over the air update?  Ford got that working a couple of months ago.  If you haven't done so already link your car to your home wifi and turn on automatic updates in settings.  It might take awhile but 'might' be the solution.

2. Maybe someone on the forum knows of a site where Sync updates can be downloaded.

3.  Visit the Sync forum to see if someone there can help with the update files: https://fordsyncforum.com/index.php

Cheers!