Am I the only picky one?

BadPenny1

Hey folks:

I took delivery of my Edge this past Saturday and have only driven the vehicle home. My first move was to wash all paint treatments off of the vehicle, including treatments to the tires and windows. Next I have used a clay bar on all painted surfaces to get rid of rail dust and other paint contaminants. The chrome rims needed the clay bar badly. Next I'm going seal the paint with Zaino Brothers products to ensure there is actually something on the paint that will resist acid rain and all of the other crap that assaults the paint on a day to day basis. Lastly the interior will get the same TLC. Then and only then will I start using my Edge as my means of transport. Did or does anyone else do this when they bring home a new car?

Why would someone do this? Well, I can now tell you where there are blemishes in the paint. I can tell you which wheel is warping and should be replaced (after only 6 miles of driving). I can also tell where on the vehicle I need to be watching for faster than normal rust development. Lastly, I'll know about how long I'll be able to go without sealing and waxing the paint again. Basically, I'll know the outside of my car better than anyone else.

If you don't do this much work when you first get the car, when do you give your new car it's first really good cleaning? :headscratch:

Thanks!

BP

Wow, and my wife thought I was A null about cleaning my mid life crisis. To say the least, having a clean ride shows the world that you care about appearance and you can afford the time and effort it takes to show off your clean ride. However if your New Edge came to you with that much filth, I would have taken it back to the dealer and demanded a properly detailed and clean product.

By the way, I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn Express..... :stop: :hysterical::hysterical:

Keep the "Blazing Copper" shiny side up and enjoy. 15000 Km plus and not one complaint yet. I think Ford did GOOD. :yup:

Great Scott BadPenny1 :shades:

You must have been a Jaguar owner in a former life. :yup: Just kidding The more attention you give her...the more you'll get out of it. I cleaned mine up also, but instead of all the fancy prep, I just slapped on some "Liquid Ice" I think it's called. Guaranteed not to turn my black plastic white. and by dammned..it works. :hyper:

Take Care and Drive On !!... :rockon:

Fast Freddie

Thanks for the responses! I had to laugh at the Holiday Inn Express deal! :lol: I loved those commercials - especially the one with the bear!

Maybe it is just my imagination, but you wouldn't believe the crud that gets on the vehicle before it gets to your garage. If you've never used a clay bar on your car, try it. You will not believe the difference. Even on old cars, it can make a huge difference.

Without the clay bar, you can run your hand across what you believe is a clean car and still feel little bumps of stuff stuck in or on the clear coat. Once you clay bar the surface, run your hand across the paint and it will feel as slick as your clean windshield! What the clay bar did was pull out or off all of the contaminants the washing did not. To me, it is a world of difference.

Enjoy driving your Edge/MKX everyone!

BP

• 4 weeks later...
Hey folks:

I took delivery of my Edge this past Saturday and have only driven the vehicle home. My first move was to wash all paint treatments off of the vehicle, including treatments to the tires and windows. Next I have used a clay bar on all painted surfaces to get rid of rail dust and other paint contaminants. The chrome rims needed the clay bar badly. Next I'm going seal the paint with Zaino Brothers products to ensure there is actually something on the paint that will resist acid rain and all of the other crap that assaults the paint on a day to day basis. Lastly the interior will get the same TLC. Then and only then will I start using my Edge as my means of transport. Did or does anyone else do this when they bring home a new car?

Why would someone do this? Well, I can now tell you where there are blemishes in the paint. I can tell you which wheel is warping and should be replaced (after only 6 miles of driving). I can also tell where on the vehicle I need to be watching for faster than normal rust development. Lastly, I'll know about how long I'll be able to go without sealing and waxing the paint again. Basically, I'll know the outside of my car better than anyone else.

If you don't do this much work when you first get the car, when do you give your new car it's first really good cleaning? :headscratch:

Thanks!

BP

I wouldn't let the dealer touch it. Never do. The guys in the back give it a quick wash with dirty rags, or worse, an automatic car wash hits it and they bring it around to you. No thanks. I own a detailing business and I know what scratches finishes. Dirty rags, hard water and drying materials f the paint up each and every time. The salesman looked at me like I was crazy when I told him not to have it cleaned...

I'm sort of picky. . .Did the clay bar to the paint and windows. After waiting a day I did Meguairs NXT 2.0 to the paint and RainX to the windows. Next day it was Zaino Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray and Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal for the paint. Microfiber towels the whole time. California Duster used every morning before going out. Z-10 Leather in a Bottle for the interior last week. 303 Aerospace Protectant used on the tires. Debating on what to do to the engine compartment. I had used Pig Spit and F21(aerosol, not pump) on my previous vehicles engine compartments to keep them looking new. 5 weeks into ownership and looking good. Lots of work. . .lots of work. . .but worth it!

I'm sort of picky. . .Did the clay bar to the paint and windows. After waiting a day I did Meguairs NXT 2.0 to the paint and RainX to the windows. Next day it was Zaino Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray and Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal for the paint. Microfiber towels the whole time. California Duster used every morning before going out. Z-10 Leather in a Bottle for the interior last week. 303 Aerospace Protectant used on the tires. Debating on what to do to the engine compartment. I had used Pig Spit and F21(aerosol, not pump) on my previous vehicles engine compartments to keep them looking new. 5 weeks into ownership and looking good. Lots of work. . .lots of work. . .but worth it!

Thanks for the responses! I'm not the only one!!!! Actually, I'm glad you brought up Zaino products. I use them exclusively if I can. Waxes and detailing sprays are just the best and the depth of shine is nothing short of awesome. Made my blazing copper edge look like a burnished orange leaf with a mirror gloss. Got the thumbs up from a couple of motorcyclists this weekend. With the gloss and rims, I don't think they would have given the car a second look.

BP

Thanks for the responses! I had to laugh at the Holiday Inn Express deal! :lol: I loved those commercials - especially the one with the bear!

Maybe it is just my imagination, but you wouldn't believe the crud that gets on the vehicle before it gets to your garage. If you've never used a clay bar on your car, try it. You will not believe the difference. Even on old cars, it can make a huge difference.

Without the clay bar, you can run your hand across what you believe is a clean car and still feel little bumps of stuff stuck in or on the clear coat. Once you clay bar the surface, run your hand across the paint and it will feel as slick as your clean windshield! What the clay bar did was pull out or off all of the contaminants the washing did not. To me, it is a world of difference.

Enjoy driving your Edge/MKX everyone!

BP

Have you ever clayed your windshield or other glass?