Gas Gauge Reads Empty but fills at 16.5 gallons

dtappeiner

I wanted to try to get an estimate on my new Edge's gas mileage, so I let it run down to empty (even past the E) and then went to fill up, but it only took 16.5 gallons. This is fine because I then just divided the mileage by 16.5 gallons, but what the heck? Ho wwill I know when the car is actually empty (or close to it)?

I wanted to try to get an estimate on my new Edge's gas mileage, so I let it run down to empty (even past the E) and then went to fill up, but it only took 16.5 gallons. This is fine because I then just divided the mileage by 16.5 gallons, but what the heck? Ho wwill I know when the car is actually empty (or close to it)?

So, what kinda MPG did you get? I just checked my MPG for teh first time and I got a horrible 14.6 MPG! These are combo city/highway miles too! I know I am a leadfoot, but my co-worker is getting better mileage with her Suburban.

I also saw similar results for the relationship between teh gauge and teh tank size. My gauge showed 3/4 and it only took 12 gallons to fill. These are supposed to be 19 gallon tanks, so there must be a 3 gallons (16%) buffer on the gauge.

I also saw similar results for the relationship between teh gauge and teh tank size. My gauge showed 3/4 and it only took 12 gallons to fill. These are supposed to be 19 gallon tanks, so there must be a 3 gallons (16%) buffer on the gauge.

Yep, I am only getting around 15 mpg. Most of my driving is around town though and I drive pretty hard. I guess the only real benefit of this is that you are less likely to run out of gas and this will probably also protect the fuel pump, etc.

If you have the message center you can set it for Distance to Empty - that's a little more accurate than the analog fuel gauge.

But the answer is if the needle is close to E then you need fuel - period.

There is usually a built-in 1 or 2 gallon reserve but you don't want to use that unless absolutely necessary. In other words, don't make a habit of going past E.

on a similar note here.. I always just fill up when I opt to get gas. Never have taken my car near empty. My car always, like clock work, always reported like "343 Miles To Empty". every time this was the same.

Well, recently I did take the car near empty. As close as I have ever gotten.. maybe like 15 miles the Info Center sadi... and upon fill up it jumped up to like "376 Mile To Empty". Pretty big jump.

Not sure the, if any, correlation. But, interesting that all the other fill ups - dozens - at not even close to E and it reports same miles every single time and one time I go way down low to E it like resets the available miles seemingly. Like a recalibration?

I am about to test this again just for fun as I am getting close to E and I am going to run it about same - right down to E - and see what it reports for "xxx Miles To Empty".

Mine was made around the same time as Lex' Edge. If my gauge reads empty I can pump about 18.5 to 19 gallons into that 20 gallon tank. I was actually kinda surprised to see it take so much. I never noticed now many miles per gallon reads on the message center.

I would be curious what people leave their message center read out as normally? I see the only real message of value to me is the "XXX Miles To Empty" message and never switch off of that really.

I would be curious what people leave their message center read out as normally? I see the only real message of value to me is the "XXX Miles To Empty" message and never switch off of that really.

I don't have the message center on my Edge, but my wife does on her Taurus. She always leaves it on the xxx Miles to Empty.

I leave it on miles to empty. Once in a while, I check to see the MPG. Currently shows 22.1. Highest ever is 22.3.

Got my edge know for 2 month and i put already 3000km on it and I love it!! My message center is always set to the average consumption which I reset every time i refuel, and I calculate the exact value by hand. I got now everything from 12mpg (20l/100km) with purely city-leadfoot driving to 26 mpg (8.9l/100km) on the canadian highway (100 km/h)... Now I am looking for better brakes... anyone have an idea?

Got my edge know for 2 month and i put already 3000km on it and I love it!! My message center is always set to the average consumption which I reset every time i refuel, and I calculate the exact value by hand. I got now everything from 12mpg (20l/100km) with purely city-leadfoot driving to 26 mpg (8.9l/100km) on the canadian highway (100 km/h)... Now I am looking for better brakes... anyone have an idea?

Thanks for the feedback. Have you seen that teh message center calcs match your hand calcs. I

As far as the brakes go, I believe there are otehrs posts that address that. I would suggest that you search those and maybe even create a new post of your own requesting info.

Thanks for the feedback. Have you seen that teh message center calcs match your hand calcs. I

As far as the brakes go, I believe there are otehrs posts that address that. I would suggest that you search those and maybe even create a new post of your own requesting info.

Yep... I think the message center is quite accurate. (0.2l/100km to low) But I keep doing the hand calcs.

Thanks for the hint with the brakes...