hands free liftgate

If you're sure your Edge is equipped with the hands free system the original sensor might have been unplugged during the hitch install or the aftermarket hitch could be blocking it. 

There's a fix.  The Titanium with factory hitch installed comes with this dual sensor. https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-sensor-em2z14f680a/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9YnVtcGVyLWFuZC1jb21wb25lbnRzLXJlYXImaT1NUzE1ODkwNSZyPTQmYT1mb3JkJm89ZWRnZSZ5PTIwMTYmdD10aXRhbml1bSZlPTMtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

It's plug and play to replace the centralized single sensor you (probably) currently have.

Thanks I'll look into that possibility. I am going to ford in the next few days to add the extended warranty and I will see if they have one the edge came from Nevada and the dealer put it on at 35 miles you think they would have done it then but then that would have been to easy.

Be sure to ask this forum (or try a search) for tips on where to purchase extended warranties.  There are a couple of dealerships that offer the plans online at a fraction of what most local dealers ask.  At the very least you can get one of those online prices and challenge your dealer to match it. 
As always there are multiple tiers of coverage ranging from power train only to bumper to bumper with varying deductibles.  Just shop carefully and ask a lot of questions before handing over any cash.

• Like 1

After laying down and looking the hitch over it is a ford hitch but I think they just installed the hitch because there is only a two wire connecter at the hitch which may be the hands free wiring connector. If it was a connector for a hitch it should be a least a 4 wire connector I would think so turn lights and brake lights would all work I may have to  pull some of the covers down and check I will probably never pull anything with it I may just want to do away with the hitch

People sometimes add a hitch just to use a bike rack or something similar that doesn't need lighting. 

If you do decide to remove the hitch, keep the bolts.  They're very important to the overall strength of the hitch.  If you decide to sell it a buyer will want those bolts too.

That’s kind of what I thought so the plug that’s there is probably for the hands free. I was a heavy equipment mechanic for 40 years but to many back fusions so I would probably have someone do it that has a rack or I may just leave it alone. Thanks for all the information it was very helpful on a direction to go

• 1 month later...

I just bought a 16 Titanium and had dealer install the tow kit and they assured me I would have to lose the hands free lift gate function - I did. BUT...

Apparently it can be restored! Ford makes sensors that work with the hitch. I got em both from Tasca Parts for about $20 ea. Just ordered yesterday and installing soon as they arrive. TBH this was first tow kit dealer installed an Edge so they didn’t know this. Another Edge owner clued me in. Here are the parts you need - upper and lower sensors and part numbers in blue box. 

318A9A9A-3124-43CA-8FD8-62DCB25CD63A.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I have a problem with the hands free lift gate function. I want to disable it for two reasons, one is needing to duck when it opens UN-expectantly while connecting a trailer, two is when carrying bikes' on a hitch mounted rack it can open AND!!! I have a 2016 Platinum.

Check out Gadget's Edge Mods Forscan page to disable the liftgate kick feature here: https://www.gadgetjq.net/edge/forscan/forscan.html#lgate

Another option, just unplug the sensor.  the connector is under the rear bumper on the passenger side.  You might have to remove the bottom panel (with all those little screws in it) to reach the connector.

This does not disable the dash or liftgate buttons or your remote button to open/close the liftgate.

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 1:42 PM, Catmech2 said:

Thanks I'll look into that possibility. I am going to ford in the next few days to add the extended warranty 

Try this site to start.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwrcH3BRApEiwAxjdPTY1rECwKEG1sBBXoNDidk5KWwRDk5FWxTo2az7w9AtRfgwOIBWAX4xoCV3cQAvD_BwE

I got three quotes before I got mine. Took them to the business manager of my local dealer, let him go through the various plans, got his quote, then chose the best plans and asked if he would match. He never blinked. Matched. Then I asked what else he would do to better the offer. He offered $0 deductible if I had all my warranty service done at their dealership.  I agreed. No up charge for the zero deductible.  ($100 if I have serviced at any other dealer).

If it's any consolation, I have a 2009 MKX and my current warranty expires in 2023. ! Full bumper-to-bumper coverage. (But it will be my last renewal due to age and mileage - snif).

So yes, you can get an extended warranty with no problem. Just had my car in for a new valve core replacment on my spare tire. As they did a "courtesy" inspection on the entire car (generates more work of course), I was able to use that visit for the mandatory inspection. Otherwise it's usually $100.

Just schedule the purchase of the extended warranty while your getting an oil change. The kind that has tire rotation and whatnot. They do an inspection on the car as a "courtesy" (wink, wink) and you can use that inspection in liew of paying the extra $100. Work it out with the business manager before you sign.

On my last three year warranty I was able to use it for all kinds of weird stuff, like getting the lumbar seat mechanism replaced (they have to take the seat out and tear the whole seat apart to replace the entire mechanism. Care to guess how much something silly like that costs? And they found black goo belching from my PTU vent. The warranty covered a new PTU. And that costs a shit-load of cash. Think I used it 5 times.

Got a new loaner whenever they had to keep it overnight (except one time when a loaners are out, then they got me a rental from local Enterprise. Got a new F150.

And finally, as it's a Lincoln, abet an old one, I get a car wash whenever I have it serviced.

And had a flat when I hit a curb and blew a tire. Called Lincoln and they sent out a tow truck and he changed the tire for me. In the rain. All part of the warranty. I'll tell you, when you get older, (I'm in my 70's) changing a tire, at night, in the rain, is a daunting task. Ever notice how heavy a 20" tire is? Nice to call and have someone else do it. Or they will bring you gas should you run out. Or jump your battery if it fails. 

This time I'm watching to see if the water pump starts leaking. I'm guessing that it's nearing its end of life. Figure that's about $1400 - $1600 (priced a year or two ago, may be more now, seems like everything has gotten more expensive do to COVID-19) and would love to get it changed under warranty. (Dealer drops the engine to change them. Faster, but costs a little more). Biggest fear is it blows while on highway and burns up the engine. So what's a rebuilt engine go for nowadays?

Just today noticed my wife is having problems with the passenger seat. It stopped working in the reclining position. Got it working again, but if it does it again - poof, off it goes for a new mechanism. 

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 3/5/2020 at 10:00 AM, Gadgetjq said:

If you're sure your Edge is equipped with the hands free system the original sensor might have been unplugged during the hitch install or the aftermarket hitch could be blocking it. 

There's a fix.  The Titanium with factory hitch installed comes with this dual sensor. https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-sensor-em2z14f680a/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9YnVtcGVyLWFuZC1jb21wb25lbnRzLXJlYXImaT1NUzE1ODkwNSZyPTQmYT1mb3JkJm89ZWRnZSZ5PTIwMTYmdD10aXRhbml1bSZlPTMtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

It's plug and play to replace the centralized single sensor you (probably) currently have.

Do I need to remove bottom bumper (the black part) to replace the sensor?

On 4/10/2020 at 6:03 AM, Cognac said:

I just bought a 16 Titanium and had dealer install the tow kit and they assured me I would have to lose the hands free lift gate function - I did. BUT...

Apparently it can be restored! Ford makes sensors that work with the hitch. I got em both from Tasca Parts for about $20 ea. Just ordered yesterday and installing soon as they arrive. TBH this was first tow kit dealer installed an Edge so they didn’t know this. Another Edge owner clued me in. Here are the parts you need - upper and lower sensors and part numbers in blue box. 

318A9A9A-3124-43CA-8FD8-62DCB25CD63A.png

Wait, do I need both sensors or only bottom one (orange)? My titanium 2016 already equipped with the sensor, but it's not split to 2 parts as in the photo due to my car was coming without a hitch