2019 vs 2020

Hey All - 

My wife presently drives a 2017 Edge Sport, which we really like... but we leased it and the residual is about $8k more than what it is worth, putting us at about $10k backwards after tax, title, fees.  Needless to say, we are not buying it and are looking into an Edge ST instead.  I've spoken to a few dealers, some say you can't lease a 2019, some say you can as long as it's brand new.  So, I guess one of my biggest questions is, what's the big difference between the 2019 and 2020?  The discounts on a 2019 are substantial, but if there are concerns with the 2019 that were fixed with the 2020, is it worth playing that game?  That's kind of like the 2020 Explorer... I wanted to trade my '15 Explorer Sport for an Explorer ST, but homey ain't playing the game with the first model year due to all of the issues at hand.

Thanks!!

ST owners will probably give you  better opinion, but the 2019 ST was only a mid cycle refresh. The main mechanical change was the 8-Speed transmission which had several "software" updates to correct shifting issues. I don't recall any mention of any hardware changes between 2019 & 2020 models. Another issue was the adaptive headlights not functioning on 2019 models but was corrected with a software update.

My suggestion is to tests drive the specific 2019 ST you are looking at and feel for the transmission shifts, if it is fine then go for it.

Link to a post with the 2020 Edge Order Guide.

Edited by omar302

My wife's transmission in her '17 is weird as hell.... tired of brand new cars with transmission issues, quite frankly.  Hers will slam hard into 5th gear, sometimes slams hard into 3rd if throttle is low.  Took it to the dealer and they claimed they couldn't replicate it, so they did nothing.

I'll have to look up the trans problems on the '19 to see what the scoop is there.  I know whatever we buy, we're hoping to keep it for many more years.  I've never really cared to drive any previous vehicles that she got, but I do really like her Edge.  Sucks she gets another new vehicle before me.  LOL!  Happy wife, happy life, right??  I'm waiting on the 21/22 Explorer ST, though.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

8 hours ago, NAiLs said:

My wife's transmission in her '17 is weird as hell....

The '17 still had the six speed which is pretty dependible.  Based on forum posts (here and Facebook) most issues are resolved with a simple fluid drain and fill.  Some owners report a major improvement after the first flush but 3 times (multiple short or a long drive in between to flush old fluid from the torque converter each time) is a standard recommendation. 
The '17 will use Mercon LV if you want to stick with Ford fluids but Valvoline Max Life is a popular alternative.

Thanks for the feedback thus far!  We're going to chat with our nearby Ford dealership tomorrow, to see whether or not it's worthwhile to get a '19 or '20 ST.  I don't think they have any '19's on the lot, so I don't know that we'll be able to test one.  Gonna have to tell them I want to take the '20 Explorer ST out for a spin, though.

Leasing must be a real joke right now.  Jesus.... payments on a 2020 are obnoxiously high, at least at the dealer I went to.  With $5k down, they're talking ~$600/mo. for 10,500 miles.  If I buy a '19 ST, I could stretch the loan to 84 months and be almost $100 less per month.  We're definitely looking into a '19 over a '20 just from the ownership standpoint.  Will probably look into an extended service plan, since the goal is to keep this one far longer than we did the '17.  Not sure if there is someone on these forums that can get you them cheap, otherwise I know who to reach out to on the Explorer side.

Definitely stopping by a different dealer on Tuesday, as the guy I've worked with there is straight about what he's trying to sell you.  The dealer that's in my back yard always hides shit and tries to charge you more than everyone else.  I'm also afraid to look at buying stuff from them, strictly because they tried to charge me a $500 "lease acquisition fee" when I bought my Explorer, plus they tried to charge me ~$1k more than what my agreed upon residual was.  Ended up driving 50 minutes to the dealer I got it from instead, with no stupid fees charged.

Seems to be some good rebates on the SEL. We ended up buying a 19 ST. There was a $6k cash promo and we didn't qualify for any others. They did give me xplan on document fees, so those got wiped out. Just waiting on my bank to give me some money and hopefully pick it up Saturday! ?