2019 ST - Noise In Rear

NAiLs

Hey All - 

We finally plunged and gave back our 2017 Edge Sport and bought a 2019 Edge ST.  There aren't a whole lot of different things between the two, so it was an easy transition.  I have already found that adaptive cruise control is an awesome thing, and my next vehicle will also have it.

We noticed today that often times when you unlock the car, you hear a solenoid, or something that is obnoxiously loud, in the rear end.  I think I found a post with a similar experience, but I'm not 100% certain and the post never concluded what the issue was.  Our 2017 never exhibited this behavior and this noise is pretty darn loud.  This particular noise happens almost every single time you unlock the car.  I say a solenoid of some type, because after like 15 or 20 seconds, you'll hear it "engage" at a slightly softer level.

Thanks for the advise in advance.

-Brian

Edited by NAiLs

Thanks for the reply and confirming that was it. I guess is this something that's normal to be loud or was this fixed with a quieter part? My wife is pissed / annoyed with the nose. I'll try to grab a video of the nose later today if possible. 

I've never really figured out how to tell build dates, but looking around, I find Jan 22 - Mar 9 had noisy units. 

Edited by NAiLs

Well, the dealer confirmed it's the rear drive module and claims it's 100% normal to be as loud as it is.... they actually said ours is very quiet compared to others.  Very strange, because we never heard this on our 2017 Sport at all, so I'm guessing there are some new drivetrain components here.

Edited by NAiLs

7 hours ago, NAiLs said:

Well, the dealer confirmed it's the rear drive module and claims it's 100% normal to be as loud as it is.... they actually said ours is very quiet compared to others.  Very strange, because we never heard this on our 2017 Sport at all, so I'm guessing there are some new drivetrain components here.

Yes, the rear drive unit is different on the 2019+ models. You could ask to hear other vehicles for your self to be sure. Make sure to find a model outside the build date range specified. Then you decide if it is similar or not.

D'oh, never got an email notification on replies.

Finding a 2019 to hear will probably be impossible, since there aren't many left out there, but a 2020... I know there are plenty.  I'm guessing a 2020 is a better reference, anyway.  I guess at this point we're going to ride it and leave it alone.  I plan to purchase a Ford ESP, since we want to keep this one for many years to come.  We just didn't keep our 2017 Edge Sport, because the residual after lease would have put us $10k backwards.... I'm not dumb, so Ford can have that one back.  LOL!