BAMR Cleaned and Lubed

I did the annual maintenance on the BAMR today and tried a couple of new things.  If having your roof close smoothly in about 6 seconds appeals to you, read on.

After reading the Ford issued moonroof maintenace steps ( Edge Roof Opening Panel Track Cleaning.pdf ) I used a PTFE spray lube from WD40 instead of last years gooey (but very slippery) Dielectric grease.  https://amzn.to/3c6qQQq  I chose to 'skip' inserting a garden hose in the track, that's just asking for trouble. ;)

For my next trick, instead of shotgun cleaning patches I used something from the bride's bag o' tricks called 'rounds.'  https://amzn.to/2Vq1PZF They're thick cotton pads used for Lord knows what but hey, they work great wiping out the old grunge from tracks.  You should use something to push the pad along the track (like the wire handle of a bottle brush or small dowel) because it's a dangerous place in there for bare fingers.  Be sure to use the smooth (can't see cotton fibers) side for minimal shedding. 

Step 1
With the roof closed, push a soap and water soaked pad down into the slot between the rubber dust shields behind the BAMR.  Push the pad along with a stiff wire (handle from a bottle brush works great) then retrieve the pad after a couple of passes.  Keep doing that (damp then dry pads) until the pad comes out clean.   Spray with the WD40 PTFE lube along the length of the 'slot.'  Wait a few minutes for the lube to dry and open your moon roof.

Step 2

Now it's time to clean the visible tracks.  My first pass was, again, with a pad soaked in a soap and water solution.  It had a 'lot' of old Dielectric grease to remove.  A second pad dampened with clear water helped get a little more grunge out and a third and fourth dry pads shined everything up.  Hint: Have a pick or something similar to retrieve the pad if you lose it while pushing back into a dark space under the front edge of the glass.  Use a rag or towel to protect the inside of your car and spray the tracks with the PTFE.  Give it a few minutes to dry.

Start your engine and push the button to close the roof.  It's going to move so quickly you'll want to try it again.  My roof is now closing from full open in 6.1 seconds so it's all good.

Edited by Gadgetjq
Added how-to details
  • Like 2

Here ya go.

Edge Roof Opening Panel Track Cleaning.pdf   

I think the instructions are a little over the top when it comes to using a garden hose in the track. ;)

For bottle brushes, this set from Harbor Freight is hard to beat:

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-tube-pipe-nylon-brush-set-90631.html

Edited by Gadgetjq
Added bottle brush link
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...