TPMS relearn won't trigger on tire.

robrivers

Hey, I know this is Ford Edge forum, but wondering if anyone might know if the TPMS  on the 2009 Edge would work on a 2012 Escape? Our Edge water pump failed and needless to say pretty sure she's toast now and we had just put on 4 new tires a few days before. Long story short, we have a 2012 escape with 2 flats we don't drive it much so I swapped the Edge wheels over to the Escape but for weeks now we have a warning that TPMS system malfunctioning. Something along those lines on the screen. I know these wheels have a sensor it's what made us buy new tires after the front one constantly was losing air and triggering the low pressure alert on the Edge.

I got one of those very cheap Relearn tools from Amazon, but starting at the first tire it just never triggers. I'm assuming the sensor is connected to the valve stem but I also tried doing it on the opposite side and even all around the tire after giving up.

So my guess is the sensors are not compatible between the two models? Just asking to see if anyone knows that for sure before I waste my time blaming it on the cheapo tool and bother exchanging it for a different model.

Any help would be appreciated, sorry if it's a bit off topic.

35 minutes ago, handfiler said:

Maybe this will be of some help to you: TPMS learn & relearn procedures

I got excited for a minute when I read the sensors go to sleep and need to be woken up first thinking hell yes that's the issue, the car was sitting for an hour. But I drove it around for 10 minutes and then tried again with no luck. However it sounds like there is no reason the TPMS fro the Edge tires wouldn't work on the Escape if they are re-learned - or that was my take from the article since it listed Edge, Escape and Mariner all together - So I think I'm going to exchange this $10 tool for something better and try again.

5 hours ago, robrivers said:

wondering if anyone might know if the TPMS  on the 2009 Edge would work on a 2012 Escape?

The 2009 Edge uses a different type of sensor. Strap or band mounted sensor. The 2012 Escape uses a stem mounted sensor. This is probably the reason it didn't work.

In case they are compatible, the strap mounted sensor is usually mounted 180 degree from the stem, so you would need to hold the re-learning tool at that position, not at the stem like the newer models.

No, they are not compatible.  The stem mounted sensors broadcast a slightly different code than the band style sensors.  If you really know what you are doing, you could use Forscan and go into the BCM and change the parameters so it would accept the sensors, but the relearn tool you have is not going to be able to get them to work.

On 6/11/2020 at 1:27 AM, omar302 said:

In case they are compatible, the strap mounted sensor is usually mounted 180 degree from the stem, so you would need to hold the re-learning tool at that position, not at the stem like the newer models.

I did try it 180 degree, and all around the tire but nothing..

On 6/11/2020 at 7:11 AM, Waldo said:

No, they are not compatible.  The stem mounted sensors broadcast a slightly different code than the band style sensors.  If you really know what you are doing, you could use Forscan and go into the BCM and change the parameters so it would accept the sensors, but the relearn tool you have is not going to be able to get them to work.

Pain in the ass. That's all I have to say haha. Thanks guys