Sync 3 Map update inquiry

2017 Ford Edge SE owner.  I received a form advertisement about the SYNC 3 update for maps. I went through the down load only to find out that there is cost. How sad. Then I find   ford.naviextras.com which states helps you keep your map up-to-date and lets you drive with peace of mind by offering 5 years of free map update. I called the wonderful Ford customer service department and went through the dance, gave them my  Vin# they came back to say you Sync3 Map update is only good for 3 years. I asked about the ford.naviextras.com and got the corporate hard line "yours is only good for 3 years if you want to up date your Syn3 Maps you must pay". Has any used this ford.naviextras.com to update the Sync 3 Maps? Thanks

15 hours ago, SDguy2020 said:

Has any used this ford.naviextras.com to update the Sync 3 Maps? Thanks

You didn't mention where on the planet you are.  The site you mention isn't the official Ford site for North America map updates, this is: https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home   Updates for your year are $109 for the download.  If you live in one of the countries shown in the download section of NaviExtras (screen grab below) you should have been told 'before' the download there would be a fee.  If you're in North America the download shouldn't have happened after you entered your VIN and Sync info.image.thumb.png.8f6c10c39ef097705e7fdec80d9214d1.png

Edited by Gadgetjq

17 hours ago, SDguy2020 said:

2017 Ford Edge SE owner.  I received a form advertisement about the SYNC 3 update for maps. I went through the down load only to find out that there is cost. How sad. Then I find   ford.naviextras.com which states helps you keep your map up-to-date and lets you drive with peace of mind by offering 5 years of free map update. I called the wonderful Ford customer service department and went through the dance, gave them my  Vin# they came back to say you Sync3 Map update is only good for 3 years. I asked about the ford.naviextras.com and got the corporate hard line "yours is only good for 3 years if you want to up date your Syn3 Maps you must pay". Has any used this ford.naviextras.com to update the Sync 3 Maps? Thanks

I bought my Sport new in March 2017 and by the time they released the new map version mine did not qualify for a free update, even though the maps were about 5 years out of date at the time I bought - I just paid and got the new version.

Please consider adding your location and Model/Year to your profile signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/?area=signature

Ford's policy on map updates really sucks.

We recently got a Honda CR-V for my wife. It has the Garmin navigation system. You get 5 years of free updates. Last week I decided to check if there was an update, since the car came with the 2019 maps.

Sure enough, I was able to update her car to the 2020 maps, totally free.

Ford's $109 update only goes to 1/2018, really not worth it.