Suspension modifications on gen 2

The ford motorcade rear shocks tend to hit the bump stop to early for my taste. I ordered some bilstein b6. pn 24-283113. Bought a master pro fm1586 bump stop. Cut it out to fit the top butterfly aluminum price that mounts the top of the shocks. I cut the price to fit and had a master mechanic look at it before I put it on. Just polished the aluminum with a wire brush from Walmart the hart brand has nice ones for like 6 bucks. I had some combined covers for the shocks. Can post pics if wanted. 

CC3169F2-DA8D-4282-8285-3A5D89B9C6FC.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/25/2020 at 10:29 PM, Gmandude said:

The ford motorcade rear shocks tend to hit the bump stop to early for my taste. I ordered some bilstein b6. pn 24-283113. Bought a master pro fm1586 bump stop. Cut it out to fit the top butterfly aluminum price that mounts the top of the shocks. I cut the price to fit and had a master mechanic look at it before I put it on. Just polished the aluminum with a wire brush from Walmart the hart brand has nice ones for like 6 bucks. I had some combined covers for the shocks. Can post pics if wanted. 

CC3169F2-DA8D-4282-8285-3A5D89B9C6FC.jpeg

so im currently working with bilstein to get B6 options for the front of the car too so we can balance it out.  how did the B6's work for you just being in the rear?

• Like 3

It’s been really nice. I have about 60k so they needed replacement anyways. I have only driven maybe 10 miles with them but only seem to loose grip in the front in heavy corners. I changed the bump stop height too. The cars stance seems a little higher in the back but when I do the front it should even out l. They have some on rock auto for my 15 but it looks more complicated and I don’t have a lift or garage haha ? 

• Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 12:35 AM, Gmandude said:

It’s been really nice. I have about 60k so they needed replacement anyways. I have only driven maybe 10 miles with them but only seem to loose grip in the front in heavy corners. I changed the bump stop height too. The cars stance seems a little higher in the back but when I do the front it should even out l. They have some on rock auto for my 15 but it looks more complicated and I don’t have a lift or garage haha ? 

so you cant tell if the car feels unbalanced or not due to the different compression and rebound rates?

I took it out by the salt flats and it seemed better than usual but I’m fighting 60k worth of wear. Am planning on doing the fronts. It took about 5 miles for them to get worn in but after that it’s been smooth sailing ️ I don’t do too hard of corners compared to extra. It doesn’t feel unbalanced to me but I’m not pushing crazy power either. 
I am curious if anyone has tried the front shock conversion to bilstein yet?

Edited by Gmandude
Added q
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gmandude said:

I don’t do too hard of corners compared to extra. 

Lol, I have prepped my car for an invatational track day at Autoclub Speedway, and those new  tires I f bought in July are about to get tore up !.:shift:  

If Bilstein ever makes a matched set of B6 dampeners I will upgrade. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 3:20 PM, Special_K said:

so im currently working with bilstein to get B6 options for the front of the car too so we can balance it out. 

Any update with your Bilstein project? IIRC you said it would be a while or ~10k miles. I figure with y'all chasing comets, those miles would be short work. 

Looking forward to another JnC Performance spa day!

Edited by onyxbfly

11 hours ago, Gmandude said:

I took it out by the salt flats and it seemed better than usual but I’m fighting 60k worth of wear. Am planning on doing the fronts. It took about 5 miles for them to get worn in but after that it’s been smooth sailing ️ I don’t do too hard of corners compared to extra. It doesn’t feel unbalanced to me but I’m not pushing crazy power either. 
I am curious if anyone has tried the front shock conversion to bilstein yet?

6 minutes ago, Xtra said:

Lol, I have prepped my car for an invatational track day at Autoclub Speedway, and those new  tires I f bought in July are about to get tore up !.:shift:  

If Bilstein ever makes a matched set of B6 dampeners I will upgrade. 

Colin and Jim got some goodness coming our way.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 12:20 PM, Special_K said:

so im currently working with bilstein to get B6 options for the front of the car too so we can balance it out.  how did the B6's work for you just being in the rear?

Bilstein lists B6 front struts for the Edge now, part # 22-283108 for the  Right front, and  22-283092  for the Left Front. Is this what you are referring to? The rears are listed as part # 24-283113 - Rear 4600 Heavy Duty B6. Bilstein states these are the same shocks and struts that are used in NASCAR Super Trucks, SCORE, and Pro-Truck competitions. Am I missing something here? 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Xtra said:

Bilstein lists B6 front struts for the Edge now, part # 22-283108 for the  Right front, and  22-283092  for the Left Front. Is this what you are referring to? The rears are listed as part # 24-283113 - Rear 4600 Heavy Duty B6. Bilstein states these are the same shocks and struts that are used in NASCAR Super Trucks, SCORE, and Pro-Truck competitions. Am I missing something here? 

Spoke with Special K earlier today, those are the correct part numbers for the Bilsteins that he and his dad developed.

• Like 2

I just ordered up a complete set of the Bilstein B6 shocks and struts from Shock Wearhouse for my 2016 Edge Sport. Bought the front struts for $116.50 each and the B6 rear shocks for $94.50 each. The discounts showed up in my shopping cart.

https://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=523108&selected_year=2016  .

Mabey someone can find a better price and link that. MSRP on these items is $145 each for the rear shocks and $ 177 each for the front struts. 

Oh, about that track-day I was going to. I have canceled, because of the large turnout there will be limited track time available and it costs $400 bucks. I decided to spend that doe on the B6 damper upgrade instead.  :play:   :)

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

On 7/25/2020 at 7:29 PM, Gmandude said:

. I ordered some bilstein b6. pn 24-283113. Bought a master pro fm1586 bump stop. 

Gmandude, where did you get those bump-stops?  I will be using the B6 front shocks with H&R springs thereby limiting travel and possibly hitting the bump-stop. Other than cutting down the B6 stops this is a great idea. Can you please post a link to the parts necessary. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 5:28 PM, Xtra said:

I just ordered up a complete set of the Bilstein B6 shocks and struts from Shock Wearhouse for my 2016 Edge Sport. Bought the front struts for $116.50 each and the B6 rear shocks for $94.50 each. The discounts showed up in my shopping cart.

https://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=523108&selected_year=2016  .

Mabey someone can find a better price and link that. MSRP on these items is $145 each for the rear shocks and $ 177 each for the front struts. 

Oh, about that track-day I was going to. I have canceled, because of the large turnout there will be limited track time available and it costs $400 bucks. I decided to spend that doe on the B6 damper upgrade instead.  :play:   :)

When I did the rears they did not come with any replacement bump stops and the fronts shouldn’t either (un confirmed) I did order some generic bump stops with more mevo tech tie rod ends and sway bar links (already installed the sway bar stuff but am struggling getting the stupid bolt off for the Tie rod and haven’t had time).

• Like 1

97novi2k, I thought this conversation belonged over here in this thread.   I spoke to Bilstein of America located in Poway,Ca and they said that the B6 shocks and struts we ordered are in stock at their warehouse and available now. I agree with you that Shock Warehouse does not drop-ship otherwise we would have our parts by now. 

• Like 2