Suspension modifications on gen 2

Hey Xtra, I called Summit Racing and they drop ship direct from Bilstein. I ordered some to see if they will ship sooner and will just cancel whichever ships first. Like you said I also called Bilstein and they said it’s in stock so not sure why Shock Warehouse doesn’t have any yet but either way I’m glad to get them soon! 

• Like 3

My takeaway from my conversation with Summit Racing is that they will be available the 1st week of September. Shock Warehouse doesn't have the best reviews. I (like many of us) initially went with them because they were the cheapest option. I figured if they dicked me they can deal with AMEX! Then they will be on the receiving end.  

• Like 2

@Xtra @onyxbfly

My Bilstein front struts arrived today lol. I ordered from Summit Racing last Wednesday and the front Struts sre

sitting on my desk. Really weird I got no shipping confirmation or anything but it’s the right parts. I will cancel my order today from shock warehouse. Why they don’t have them I don’t know, clearly they are in stock so why don’t they have them. Got them less than a week after ordering from Summit

E10F5B37-4748-47AE-9ACD-30C0495BA41B.jpeg.defcfee943edf1bd04eb9602557827ca.jpeg1D42327D-1995-4CB3-AC35-33B790400E04.jpeg.d8e09ecd7bef04b06168e74bf17a0265.jpeg

Edited by 97novi2k
Update
  • Like 2

Just got off the phone with S W and they said that the shocks drop ship direct from Bilstein. The SW guy told me they were back-ordered and I told him I spoke to Bilstein directly and that they were in stock, and not to BS me.  I gave them until Friday to clear this up and give me an answer or I will be canceling my order with them. All I can add is stay away from Shock Warehouse I cannot recommend them. 

Edited by Xtra

48 minutes ago, Xtra said:

Just got off the phone with S W and they said that the shocks drop ship direct from Bilstein. The SW guy told me they were back-ordered and I told him I spoke to Bilstein directly and that they were in stock, and not to BS me.  I gave them until Friday to clear this up and give me an answer or I will be canceling my order with them. All I can add is stay away from Shock Warehouse I cannot recommend them. 

Yeah no idea why it is taking so long if they are drop shipping. As you can see they can come quick. SW did refund me quick so at least that part was nice. 

on a side note is everyone replace the strut mounts with OEM or any aftermarket ones? I was just planning to run new OEMs but thought I would ask 

I got my new shocks this last weekend!

I installed one with my usual hand tools. My large 3/8 socket driver was down so I had a stubby and lost /stolen 1/2 sockets that where needed. So I used open ended his wrenches. My hand is bruised but it’s On. I used a boot kit from rock auto and bought all. Ew up top parts from a ford deAler. Had to get to the firewall to get the top off. Learned a few stupid things if notes are needed like break the top bolt with a through hole large socket and a 10mm baby socket but have to use a 7mm? Allen for the new one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gmandude said:

Not going to lie... I put the dust cover on backwards for one of the assemblies. 

any ideas if it’s worth the trouble to take apart again? 

technically they are both on now. Still have cowling and hood accessories to put back together.

It would be a job done well and done correctly if you do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xtra said:

I ordered B6 shocks and struts on AUG 3 2020 from Shock Warehouse and I just received them on Friday, Sept 18 2020 after several phone calls and very little customer support. 

I'm glad Shock Warehouse came through for you. Me not so much. I have had a frustrating experience with them. I paid a lil more with Summit but everything arrived within a week or so of placing my order. Despite the website clearly saying that the fronts were out of stock and my order would be delayed etc

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 12:21 PM, onyxbfly said:

I'm glad Shock Warehouse came through for you. Me not so much. I have had a frustrating experience with them. I paid a lil more with Summit but everything arrived within a week or so of placing my order. Despite the website clearly saying that the fronts were out of stock and my order would be delayed etc

It was frustrating for me as well, the parts came late Friday and if they had not, on Monday morning I was going to cancel Shock Warehouse and go with Summit.

• Like 2

Good day gentlemen! I've been watching this correspondence for a long time, it would be nice to hear reviews about shock absorbers if there are any. How do the suspension and the car as a whole behave? Is the ride harder? how about bad roads? (we have a lot of roads with poor coverage)  I am the owner of sports, but I am not in America and I would like to understand whether it is worth ordering this product and wait a month until the package arrives. Very grateful and hope for your understanding.

1 hour ago, mantridas said:

Good day gentlemen! I've been watching this correspondence for a long time, it would be nice to hear reviews about shock absorbers if there are any. How do the suspension and the car as a whole behave? Is the ride harder? how about bad roads? (we have a lot of roads with poor coverage)  I am the owner of sports, but I am not in America and I would like to understand whether it is worth ordering this product and wait a month until the package arrives. Very grateful and hope for your understanding.

Welcome to the forum! I did not install the shocks and struts yet. From personal experience with other rides, Bilstein products meet, and exceed OEM specifications.

I do not foresee any reason for these not to do the same.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was finally able to install the Bilstein B6 shocks and struts that I originally purchased back on 08/03/2020, it only took 2 1/2 months, LOL :doh:. So far I have only a few miles on them but I like the ride, it is compliant, quiet, and smooth. And that was unexpected, I thought that they might be too stiff, more truck-like. It is too bad that the Mulholland Snake is still closed, I did all my testing there and I could get comparison times up the hill. I was able to do a little testing, and for the first time, I tossed the car into a corner. Nominally,  I pick an apex and drive as smooth a line as possible. Now, while tossing two + tons around is not advised, the car responded perfectly and remained in balance and under control at all times.  I will run some canyons soon and see how they work there. So-far, So-good  :thumbsup:

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 6

I had a chance to hit the canyons this weekend and took Stunt Road because of the uneven pavement in some of the corners. Having dips in the middle of a corner can really upset a car, and the new B6 struts and shocks worked great.  The new set up allows for more rear-end squat when applying power out of a corner and better overall control over uneven pavement. Is it worth the $450 for parts and another $300 or so for install? It depends, there is not a huge difference, but the B6 set up in an improvement over the stock set up. The car remains much more stable and controllable over these uneven surfaces that I had to be very careful of before.   I like the ride and the car seams more solid somehow.  Is the B6 setup faster than stock? I don't know, but the ride is better, the car still goes like heck and I really like how it comes out of the corners now, over all a good improvement.:2thumbs:

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 5

at a minimum, i would add the rear sway bar first, then the strut tower brace (an h brace underneath if desired), and then the springs. totally my preference :)  

i bought our Edge because I did wanted a bit of space to get underneath for oil and trans fluid changes without needing jacks or ramps.  ulterior motive, lol.

• Like 2