Any way to improve braking performance?

Miss Crawford

Does anyone know how to improve the braking performance? I think its one of the few weak areas of my Edge. At first it seemed weaker than I would like, but seems to have improved as the miles go by...but..I know there are various high performance ways people improve braking,just wondering if there are any not-too-terribly-expensive options I could explore. Thanks! :burnout: JEN

Does anyone know how to improve the braking performance? I think its one of the few weak areas of my Edge. At first it seemed weaker than I would like, but seems to have improved as the miles go by...but..I know there are various high performance ways people improve braking,just wondering if there are any not-too-terribly-expensive options I could explore. Thanks! :burnout: JEN

These vehicles are so new there are only a few choices in brake pads that I've found and no REAL performance products in the brake arena. My belief is that within 1-2 yrs someone like EBC , Mintex or Hawk will come out with a good street pad ,but it will just be a waiting game. I'm sure something will appear since the Edge also shares some platform pieces with the Mazda CX-7 and Mazda6 as well as the Lincoln. Performance springs are already available and few people realize that a good spring set can shorten braking distance as well ,so that is a future consideration also. The only other improvement I could see is a larger front rotor and respace the caliper outwards . The larger the wheels on your EDGE ,the more the braking will be deminished ,due to the moment of enertia being altered as the tire/wheel weight gets farther out from the rotational axis. Moving the caliper outwards on a larger rotor would have a greater braking effect and still allow the stock pad style to be used .Braided brake lines are already available but there is debate on them making much change other than feel . I believe they do help in a very small way but aren't going to make enough difference in distance.

Edited by BLACK ICE

Performance springs are already available and few people realize that a good spring set can shorten braking distance as well ,so that is a future consideration also.

Thank you for your input! I wasn't so much looking to shorten the braking distance so much(although that would definately be nice), but moreso the braking feel. It seems that, like many Fords, its a bit "spongy". Not so much that its a make-it-or-break-it thing, but I would like to improve it. Again, thanks for your help! :burnout: JEN

Performance springs are already available and few people realize that a good spring set can shorten braking distance as well ,so that is a future consideration also.

Thank you for your input! I wasn't so much looking to shorten the braking distance so much(although that would definately be nice), but moreso the braking feel. It seems that, like many Fords, its a bit "spongy". Not so much that its a make-it-or-break-it thing, but I would like to improve it. Again, thanks for your help! :burnout: JEN

Braided stainless steel brake lines will help the sponginess if they're available.

OK I'm lost. What was the joke? Are the brake lines for real or what? If so who would install them? Thanks, Jen :burnout:

Hi Jen. :D Yes, the "cross drilled brake lines" are a joke.

"Cross drilled brake lines" would be the equivalent (actually, much worse) of drilling holes in your garden hose. At least holes in a garden hose won't kill you (and others).

While I am sure that web site does sell legitimate brake lines, the text of that particular ad is a joke. They are mocking the fad of installing "cross drilled brake rotors" on street cars.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

What??

A Joke??

You mean the Blinker Fluid, the wiper blade sharpener, the Kuhneutson Valve and the Left Handed Metric Screwdriver are not real???

You mean all those glowing reviews aren't real??

Quel désastre!!

Next you'll tell us Santa, the Easter Bunny and Google ain't real!!!

Hi chewydawg. :D No, all those things you mention (Blinker Fluid, the wiper blade sharpener, the Kuhneutson Valve and the Left Handed Metric Screwdriver, Santa and the Easter Bunny) are real.

Well, except for Google. Google is a vast left and right wing conspiracy.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530