Potential 2.0 downfall...

colinc755

Been hearing a lot of ramblings online that say the coolant loss problems from the 1.5 ecoboost are also showing up in the 2.0. Folks on the edge Facebook group say that they’ve seen a couple that just start consuming coolant out of the blue well below 100k. Has anyone on here had experience with this. The 2.0 as far as I know is regarded as a robust engine so it’s surprising to hear all this. 

18 hours ago, colinc755 said:

Been hearing a lot of ramblings online that say the coolant loss problems from the 1.5 ecoboost are also showing up in the 2.0.

Correct.  Ford issued a TSB in June of 2019 advising of coolant intrusion in 2015-2018 Edge with 2.0L engines (see attachment below).  It's actually been posted quite a bit in those forums you mentioned with some owners receiving new engines under warranty but others having to pay full freight if they're not covered.   There's another TSB for the 2.0 involving the flex plate that can detach from the crankshaft.  I don't have a copy of that one but you can search all the TSBs for your year by visiting this site: https://www.carcomplaints.com/  .  Navigate to your year/engine etc then click the TSB tab.    

2.0 cylinder misfire tsb.pdf

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

Correct.  Ford issued a TSB in June of 2019 advising of coolant intrusion in 2015-2018 Edge with 2.0L engines (see attachment below).  It's actually been posted quite a bit in those forums you mentioned with some owners receiving new engines under warranty but others having to pay full freight if they're not covered.   There's another TSB for the 2.0 involving the flex plate that can detach from the crankshaft.  I don't have a copy of that one but you can search all the TSBs for your year by visiting this site: https://www.carcomplaints.com/  .  Navigate to your year/engine etc then click the TSB tab.    

2.0 cylinder misfire tsb.pdf

Following that TSB is very funny (& concerning). 6 Simple steps, except if step 6 is applicable, the solution is to just "remove the engine and replace the long block"!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a 2018, but it was a car that I restored and rebuilt. The car has a rebuilt title so it has no coverage from ford. I am just worried because I wouldn't want the work that I put in to go to waste because the Ford engineers messed another thing up. The car is at 44k and the coolant is at a perfect level. The thing I am trying to get after is the frequency of the problem. Looking at multiple forums it is hard to say because some double post on different sites and its hard to say how the people that are active online compare the thousands of edges on the road. From what I have been told there is no point in time where the engine has proven it will be fine, as I said before some folks say it just shows up one day. I am getting especially nervous because my girlfriend that has a 1.5 Ecoboost escape is getting a new engine because of coolant consumption. The funny thing is I avoided the 3.5 because of the water pump. Ford just cannot seem to figure out engine cooling smh...