My Edge, Updated Pics

UrbanFree

6 hours ago, Xtra said:

Fantastic, I love the custom pipework in the engine bay and your custom exhaust. I also noticed the purple calipers and BBK, nice touch. Blacked-out, it is an amazing custom with so many little details.  Great job. 

Thanks! I’ve definitely taken my time customizing it. I look forward to taking more pics once its out of the shop again with the new Motor. Then I’ll try & make a list of all the mods! Sometimes its so hard to remember them all especially all the little details

• Like 1

3 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

I love the mods. Do you have a build thread? Or can you post a list of you mods?  How does it feel/ handle with the undercarriage mods? I've always been curious about them, but did not want to risk weakening the structural integrity.

Thanks!! I will make a Build thread soon for sure. It feels amazing Its so smooth/rigid it feels like a Audi gripping the road vs a Suv. It definitely wouldn’t impact the Structural integrity in any negative ways. If anything I would say it makes it stronger. The Suv Stock had a lot of body roll when turning with this setup it feels like there is next to none. 
There is Front Struts, Reat Strut, Center Cross X Bars, & Then 2 Small Link Bars that Aren’t seen in the photo they were installed after. The suspension is H&K Springs I believe I’d have to verify All In probably 1K in parts but worth every penny. 

The Brakes & engine mods though can run into the 10K+ Range it adds up fast 

Edited by UrbanFree
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, UrbanFree said:

Thanks!! I will make a Build thread soon for sure. It feels amazing Its so smooth/rigid it feels like a Audi gripping the road vs a Suv. It definitely wouldn’t impact the Structural integrity in any negative ways. If anything I would say it makes it stronger. The Suv Stock had a lot of body roll when turning with this setup it feels like there is next to none. 
There is Front Struts, Reat Strut, Center Cross X Bars, & Then 2 Small Link Bars that Aren’t seen in the photo they were installed after. The suspension is H&K Springs I believe I’d have to verify All In probably 1K in parts but worth every penny. 

The Brakes & engine mods though can run into the 10K+ Range it adds up fast 

Thank you for sharing your results. I believe you are the first person to install them.  How are the roads where you live? I'm sure my roads are second to Detroit. How is the ride quality on bumpy roads etc.? I ask cause, I have all of the suspension mods except for the Center Cross X Bars, &  2 Small Link Bars.  I was fully aware of how the comfort would be sacrificed due to the tighter suspension.  I wouldn't mind it being tighter, but I'm sure my lady would have something to say about it. Although she prefers to drive my edge opposed to her edge hahah 

The mods I have done have definitely eliminated an insane amount of body roll. Yet I would be hesitant to say it feels like an Audi. She's close and I'm sure there is room for improvement. I'll have to do more research on them. Perhaps the center cross x bars are the secret ingredient that I am missing.  

Did you have any negative experiences with them? How was the install. I haven't been under the edge since the last oil change, but I don't recall seeing mounting points for the them. Did you have to fabricate something in order to mount them?

What are the specs on the wheels and BBK?  I have the stock 21" wheels. I've been on the fence for a while now between going with 20" or 22" But I definitely want gloss black. I like the spoke design of your wheels. 

I agree engine mods can add up real quick. I'm really interested in the engine swap. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Thank you for sharing your results. I believe you are the first person to install them.  How are the roads where you live? I'm sure my roads are second to Detroit. How is the ride quality on bumpy roads etc.? I ask cause, I have all of the suspension mods except for the Center Cross X Bars, &  2 Small Link Bars.  I was fully aware of how the comfort would be sacrificed due to the tighter suspension.  I wouldn't mind it being tighter, but I'm sure my lady would have something to say about it. Although she prefers to drive my edge opposed to her edge hahah 

The mods I have done have definitely eliminated an insane amount of body roll. Yet I would be hesitant to say it feels like an Audi. She's close and I'm sure there is room for improvement. I'll have to do more research on them. Perhaps the center cross x bars are the secret ingredient that I am missing.  

Did you have any negative experiences with them? How was the install. I haven't been under the edge since the last oil change, but I don't recall seeing mounting points for the them. Did you have to fabricate something in order to mount them?

What are the specs on the wheels and BBK?  I have the stock 21" wheels. I've been on the fence for a while now between going with 20" or 22" But I definitely want gloss black. I like the spoke design of your wheels. 

I agree engine mods can add up real quick. I'm really interested in the engine swap. 

I didn’t Install the mounts but I was told it was easy a few bolts that lines up perfectly. I live in Canada roads aren’t

good at all but we got some nice mountains around & I have a blast driving this thing around. I haven’t heard it scrape but I know the rocks chip at the paint for the side bars. I’m not sure how much the other ones would contribute since I did it all at once but I’m very happy with it. 
The wheels are 22” Asanti’s With Lexani Tires. I’m not sure on the other specs they don’t make them for this vehicle so I had to get them custom drilled to fit etc. All I know is now that they’re on I’m obsessed with the look. 

If the shop was closer I’d go verify the specs but its wide & beefy vs stock. Its also surprising how much compliments I get. This thing everywhere I bring it pulls in interest I assume for the unique style/sound it gives. 

Its been a fun project & I’m just excited for it to be done so I can hopefully enjoy it without issues for a few years lol

to add to this BBK is insane I brake on a dime it scares the shit out of everyone. Only issue is the noise & need someone who can calibrate the Electronic E Brake. I didn’t pay attention & I got harsh Track Pads which are Loud very very Loud. I wouldn’t recommend on the street when they get hot it sounds like a Train. However I can drop from 200-0 when I stomp the brakes in seconds. I would say minimum 2x Improvement from stock probably more. I found the edge stock brakes (assuming racing) are horrible you will lock up or not be able to stop especially in harsher conditions. The distance they took to slow down was sketchy with my new setup its just mind blowing & amusing watching people smash into the dash. There facial reactions are always priceless lol 

Edited by UrbanFree
  • Like 3

?

8 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

. I've been on the fence for a while now between going with 20" or 22" But I definitely want gloss black. I like the spoke design of your wheels. 

I'm really interested in the engine swap. 

The 20-inch wheels will give you lower gearing, faster acceleration and a better ride over the 22-inch wheels.  Also, 20-inch tires have lots of variaty, are easy to find, and for the most part, cost less than 22-inch tires.  

The 3.0TT engine swap is catching on big time and the cost is similar to custom turbos and a FMIC on a 2.7. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

The only problem with the 3.0TT when it came out was tuning for it.  Only 1 or 2 tuners had "cracked the code" as of last year.

Hopefully that crack continues to widen.

Ya I’m lucky to have connected with ZFG looking forward to seeing what he can do for me

• Like 2

On 9/3/2020 at 10:55 AM, UrbanFree said:

I didn’t Install the mounts but I was told it was easy a few bolts that lines up perfectly. I live in Canada roads aren’t

good at all but we got some nice mountains around & I have a blast driving this thing around. I haven’t heard it scrape but I know the rocks chip at the paint for the side bars. I’m not sure how much the other ones would contribute since I did it all at once but I’m very happy with it. 
The wheels are 22” Asanti’s With Lexani Tires. I’m not sure on the other specs they don’t make them for this vehicle so I had to get them custom drilled to fit etc. All I know is now that they’re on I’m obsessed with the look. 

If the shop was closer I’d go verify the specs but its wide & beefy vs stock. Its also surprising how much compliments I get. This thing everywhere I bring it pulls in interest I assume for the unique style/sound it gives. 

Its been a fun project & I’m just excited for it to be done so I can hopefully enjoy it without issues for a few years lol

to add to this BBK is insane I brake on a dime it scares the shit out of everyone. Only issue is the noise & need someone who can calibrate the Electronic E Brake. I didn’t pay attention & I got harsh Track Pads which are Loud very very Loud. I wouldn’t recommend on the street when they get hot it sounds like a Train. However I can drop from 200-0 when I stomp the brakes in seconds. I would say minimum 2x Improvement from stock probably more. I found the edge stock brakes (assuming racing) are horrible you will lock up or not be able to stop especially in harsher conditions. The distance they took to slow down was sketchy with my new setup its just mind blowing & amusing watching people smash into the dash. There facial reactions are always priceless lol 

I like the Asanti rims! They have been on my radar for while now!  Which particular rim did you go with? My favorite wheel has always been the Alpina turbine wheels.  That look always speaks to me. Aggressive yet classy! If I did go with 22s I would need a 40 series tire. I need to see what that looks like before going forward.  I don't want it to look lifted while being lowered if that makes sense? Currently running 275/40/21 and you can actually feel the difference with the wider tire. I'd love to go 285 but alas the largest you can go on the stock rim is 275. I'm sure there is someone who manged to get 285 on 9" rim but I really do not care for the super stretched look at all!

Which BBK did you go with?

On 9/3/2020 at 2:50 PM, Xtra said:

The 20-inch wheels will give you lower gearing, faster acceleration and a better ride over the 22-inch wheels.  Also, 20-inch tires have lots of variaty, are easy to find, and for the most part, cost less than 22-inch tires.  

The 3.0TT engine swap is catching on big time and the cost is similar to custom turbos and a FMIC on a 2.7. 

Thanks for discussing the differences and benefits between tire sizes. You are right the 3.0 can be purchased for a similar price as  the custom turbos and FMIC with some judicious shopping/ haggling.  If you want to run with the big dogs you can't pee like a puppy!

On 9/4/2020 at 10:15 PM, tyyrael said:

I'm very very interested in learning about all your intake mods. It looks like your filters are wide open to all that hot air inside the engine bay.  Also, where did you get that intake tube thats connected to the TB?

All the piping is custom the shop did the work for me. The Intakes barely affect the performance on this build its more cosmetic. I lose maybe 10hp with them getting extra heat. I’ve had them open for almost 2 years no issues. You can definitely just keep the stock box & buy a drop in filter or can build a custom box if you really want to protect them from the heat. Another dude on here used the small bumper insert as the cold air source he opened that up to feed the air in. I may even take this route down the road but as if now with the power I’ll have I think I’ll be more then satisfied tbd!?