Parasitic Battery Drain?

TmoodEdge

Is it normal for the accessory devices such as dashcam to continue to drain battery even while the engine is off?

If it is normal - is there a way for me to shut down/prevent the drain? An adapter of a sort?

If it's not normal - what can I do about this? Is it a bad wiring or something?

Many thanks!!

It is normal if a) they do not have an option to power down, or b) they do have an option and that option has not been activated by the owner.

If the power draw is high enough, it could place a strain on the battery even during the timeout interval omar mentioned above.  If the battery is already weakening, then you have a double whammy.  Check with a Solar BA7 type tester to be sure.

37 minutes ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

@2011edgese do you drive special operating conditions regularly or do you have a good mix of highway/city driving?  Do you use a battery tender to top up regularly?  Are you in the deep south?  Motorcraft brand or ...?

Sounds like enough deep discharge cycles are on the battery to drain in 2.5 years.

Do a mix. But more stop and go I side city. California. I'm in a warm area and do hit the desert area about 5 times a year. I get the O'Reilly batteries or Auto zone ones. I think they are the Ever Start ones... if that's the name. I do charge a lot if devices while on the road for work. Cells, laptop, drones, Dslr. But always when the engine is running. Sometimes if not a lot if times with it idling. Never used any battery condition devices. Just drive the car and wait till it dies. My last battery was a AGM 300$, thinking it's my solution. Also died within 2 1/2 years. But that's the pattern I noticed since owning Edges for the last 9 years. 2 /12 years average.

• Like 1