Locking Gas Cap

ILVMYGT

I installed a locking gas cap on one of my other ford products four years ago - an Explorer Sport - before leaving it for one month in a long term parking lot. Since that first visit it has made several long term parking lot stays.

Easy to install. The cap attached to the original tether. No problems so far.

Just the hassle of unlocking the cap each time you visit the pump.

I have not considered installing a cap on the Edge but I do not plan to leave it in a long term parking lot.

I am positive that it would be simple to install a locking cap on your Edge.

I believe it has an anti-syphon design in the filler neck so the only thing to worry about is someone putting something IN the gas tank that shouldn't be there.

One unexpected problem with some aftermarket locking caps is leakage of pressure. Its usually enough to fail emissions testing . It will also set some check engine or check cap lights . Check a dealer for this item first ,its one of those times saving a few dollars might not be worth the hassle.

• 2 years later...

naw, wouldnt even be worth returning.. i'd keep it or sell it. trying to decide if i want to deal with using it. peace of mind for people messing with your tank.

You do realize that they can't just pour something in the tank, right? They'd have to use the special funnel which they probably won't have.

I believe it has an anti-syphon design in the filler neck so the only thing to worry about is someone putting something IN the gas tank that shouldn't be there.

You yourself right above said someone CAN put something in the tank. Which is the correct fact? Oh, thats a 2008 fact.. lol. Did the gas cap style change for 2011?

Edited by jackson5

You yourself right above said someone CAN put something in the tank. Which is the correct fact? Oh, thats a 2008 fact.. lol. Did the gas cap style change for 2011?

It did change sometime between 2008 and 2011 but I forgot about needing the special funnel to put something in the tank when I made that original post.

It did change sometime between 2008 and 2011 but I forgot about needing the special funnel to put something in the tank when I made that original post.

To be fair, a normal funnel will work.

I had to fill my gas tank to use up this spare fuel I had lying around. Although the tank's spout was too short, a normal funnel did the job. I was originally considering a locking insert too, but someone would have to be carrying around a funnel to put something in your tank. I don't think I have to worry about that.

To be fair, a normal funnel will work.

I had to fill my gas tank to use up this spare fuel I had lying around. Although the tank's spout was too short, a normal funnel did the job. I was originally considering a locking insert too, but someone would have to be carrying around a funnel to put something in your tank. I don't think I have to worry about that.

damn... i still havent opened my package.. lol. i guess given its rep around here i prob wont be able to sell it anyway. i wouldnt mind using it, i just dont want to have to carry around a key all the time..

damn... i still havent opened my package.. lol. i guess given its rep around here i prob wont be able to sell it anyway. i wouldnt mind using it, i just dont want to have to carry around a key all the time..

Keep the key in your glovebox.

On a side note, an interesting idea has started up. Magnetic child locks for the glovebox and center console that open when a (strong enough) magnet is applied. This could work for the gas door too! I plan on ordering a Full set of 4 and trying to retrofit those into the glovebox and center console. If it doesn't work, I have a nosy toddler and a bunch of cabinets. :lol: :lol: