Excessive Wind noise - Front Windshield

v8vega

Last week I purchased a 2018 Sport with only 15000 km's (9300 miles). I've been driving it for the past three days and when I reach 40 mph and up there is excessive wind noise coming from the front drivers side. The dealer had replaced a cracked windshield and I believe its coming from the windshield trim. I can't push down the passenger trim, but the drivers can be moved slightly down when I press on it. Anyone hear of this issue or similar before?

Edited by v8vega

Couple of suggestions. 

Others reported wind noise traced it to the panels under the car (drivers snd passengers sides). These panels are held on with push pins that sometimes come loose or fall out. This allows the panels to extend into the air flow causing wind noise. Quick check under the car will verify.

Another place to check is the trim piece on the drivers mirror. If the piece is out of place, it creates a gap and wind noise.

• Like 1

Let the dealer recheck the windshield and make sure it is sealed properly. Did you drive it before the replacement? If yes, was the sound similar?

Also, what is your reference for excess wind noise? I mean what is your other car? An SUV will have more wind noise compared to a sedan due to higher drag.

• Like 1

The windshield was replaced just before I took it out for an initial test drive. I have a few Fords, including an older Edge Sport. This noise is definately not the normal road, wind, highway noise. I also took a 2019 and 2020 ST and Titanium for a drive and they don't have this issue either. I'll take it to the dealer where I bought it from to recheck the windshield install and trim placement. Drivers side trim doesn't feel the same as the passenger when checking it.

Found this Ford TSB for the 2016 Lincoln. (TSB 16-0088) It talks about a "stuffer" which goes under the moulding to most likely keep the wind out? If you have these can you take a pic . Thanks.

Edited by v8vega

I second omar's suggestion of having the dealer re-check that the windshield is sealed properly. It's definitely a possibility. Happened with our old Escape, they didn't let it cure long enough before road testing it , so we got a noticeable wind blowing sound when on the highway until they replaced it again.

Thanks for all your inputs. I will take it back to the Dealer to have it checked. I noticed the cowl below the hood and under the windshield is also not supported in the centre and it sags a bit, so the wind could be hitting the lower part of the glass. I stopped by another dealer to see if this was normal on other Edge vehicles and those ones were supported and didn't move when I try to move it up or down. 

Edited by v8vega

• 2 weeks later...