Over heating when AC is on and idle

Abdulmaniu

Had the same problem couple of years ago. In mine, only one fan was working. Ford changed the fan assembly and worked fine since.

Normally its the fan assembly that failed (very common) but you stated both fans are running. As the a/c works ok when under way, this limits the problem to the fans not working. (Is it possible that the fans were working when you checked but fail while you are driving? Fan controllers can be finicky).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When your moving, there's sufficient air being forced through the condensor (heat exchanger in front of the radiator).

But when your idling, theres no air flow being forced through the condensor and the air must be forced through by the fan.

If the airflow is insufficient (IE fans not running) no air is being forced through the condensor & radiator and the refrigiate cannot release the heat it picked up in the cabin. It then overheats. Fans not working is the most common problem causing this problem (no cooling at idle, ok when moving).

Have you checked the condensor  to make certain that the air flow is not being blocked?

My money would be on a defective fan assembly. Fairly common problem. Had the same condition a couple of years ago.

Possibly as omar302 said, they're spinning, but not effective. Slapping on a set of gauges or reading the codes should show if its the fans.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have visited a Ford dealership here, after diagnosing/observations he advised me to change my radiator since it’s a single cell to a double cell core, that it will support the cooling system more efficiently because he realized the fan works fine and also my fan has been redirected to work directly once I start my my engine.

6 hours ago, Abdulmaniu said:

I have visited a Ford dealership here, after diagnosing/observations he advised me to change my radiator since it’s a single cell to a double cell core, that it will support the cooling system more efficiently because he realized the fan works fine and also my fan has been redirected to work directly once I start my my engine.

I had a 2011 MKX, it had the bigger engine (3.7 V6) like the Edge Sport. Even when temperatures in the summer was above 50 degrees C with A/C, the engine never overheated. Had the original radiator. Only when the fans got weak did the A/C stop cooling while in stopped traffic and outside temp was 51 or 52 C. The stock cooling system is very capable. If your engine is overheating then you have a problem that needs fixing, not an upgraded item.

Compare the fan noise and air flow with another Edge so you can be sure if they are really ok or not.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Abdulmaniu said:

With it being a 2012 its obviously no longer under warranty and any repairs/upgrades will be paid out of your pocket - if it was under warranty I'd be more inclined to allow the Dealership to have at it seeing as it would be coming out of their pockets, including any failed experiments.

To me it sounds like they're treating the symptoms and not the cause - if it was me, I'd take it to another Dealership.

"also my fan has been redirected to work directly once I start my my engine" - that stinks of "shade tree mechanic"

Edited by 1004ron