Ford's SYNC 3

Hello there dear members ! First that all, my apologies if this section is not the right one to ask your help. I'm from Santiago of Chile (South America)and I own a Ford Edge SEL 3.5 2013 with MyFord Touch. A long time ago I was looking for a system that could add CarPlay to my vehicle. I found the SYNC 2 to SYNC 3 Upgrade kit from "4D Tech, Inc." so I asked for the compatibility of this system with my vehicle...  what do you thing it happened ? I received a "poor" email response and a very unfriendly answer to my questions. Just a link to read that its SYNC 3 Upgrade kit is only for cars made in the USA and Canada. I understand that vehicles made for exportation may have many small differences in hardware and software that "could" make their product be incompatible but come on ! mine it is not too as different as a Mazda or a Nissan car... so, I would like to ask respectfully if here will be any member that may have any additional information regarding how incompatible this kit could be for my vehicle made in the USA but for a market other than the USA and Canada. I really will love and thank a good response.

Thanks in advance,

Jorge U.

Oliver_951

My dear omar302... THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your prompt reply... I really appreciate it... I owuld like to ask you if have you ever installed an update SYNC 2 to 3 kit like this (the one that 4D Tech, Inc. offer). If so, and understanding that maybe the Map card could not work properly once installed this kit... will I be able to kepp using the voice commands in my vehicle ? Do you know something about this ?

I mean https://www.4dtech.com/11-14-ford-edge-sync-3-upgrade-for-myford-touch/

Thank you ! 

You have to understand that these "kits" are not official, licensed or in any way supported by Ford.  They are put together by individuals who have some knowledge of the system but do not have support from Ford.  If those individuals don't have experience with vehicles from other markets, they won't know what the differences will be and they likely won't have access to the different software.

Sync 3 does not use a map card, it has the maps built-in.  In most cases the map suppliers for export markets are different than the US/Canada suppliers, so all the licensing arrangements are different and in many cases it's another layer of software to interface between those maps and the Ford system.  So it's quite reasonable that a company like 4D tech won't have access to the maps, and maybe other things, like the voice engine for different languages.

It is absolutely reasonable what you say Waldo and I really thank your reply. I didn't knew that SYNC 3 it has the maps built-in. I think that the really way to know what works and what not with a kit like this is to purchase it and do the installation. Build-in maps is not a think that I really care if I can run the CarPlay feature. I think that Waze can do a good job for me.

Cheers !