Rear Liftgate LED lighting not working Edge Sport

It’s a 2015. The led red light strip (not brake light) is supposed to come on with the headlights. 

I just bought it and put a tow package light kit on it ( jumps off the rear tail lights). I have not idea if they were working before this.  Maybe related?? Likely not??

I removed the rear interior gate panel and reseated the connectors I would guess belong to this part. Still no go.

maybe if someone knew the plug and voltage for this to get juice? Maybe determine if the whole light system for that part is bad. 

37 minutes ago, BigBerky said:

It’s a 2015. The led red light strip (not brake light) is supposed to come on with the headlights. 

I just bought it and put a tow package light kit on it ( jumps off the rear tail lights). I have not idea if they were working before this.  Maybe related?? Likely not??

I removed the rear interior gate panel and reseated the connectors I would guess belong to this part. Still no go.

maybe if someone knew the plug and voltage for this to get juice? Maybe determine if the whole light system for that part is bad. 

The light bar should work if its a Sport.

Please add your location and vehicle model year to your profile signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

Edited by 1004ron

1 hour ago, BigBerky said:

Is it Titanium, or a Sport? Only those two trim packages have the rear light bar. The SE and The SEL is all show and no go. Its simply there for esthetics.

Edited by onyxbfly

2 hours ago, BigBerky said:

Brought up before. How to remove (3rd post down)

• Like 1

@BigBerky

Do the reverse lights work? They are on the same light assembly. I also remember there was a member with a 2015 Sport that came from the factory with a SE/SEL middle light section that does not illuminate, I'd suggest to check the connector and make sure it has all the pins. The connector for the light bar should be in the middle of the lift gate after removing the trim. There are 3 connectors, not sure which one is for the parking lights, might check all 3.

Reversing Lamp RI.pdf

Hello guys,

I visually inspected and reseated the connections behind the top interior gate panel. Still no go on the light bar. Without a wiring breakdown, it’s hard to tell what wires feed power to the led light strip. 

I called Tekonsha ( the trailer wiring kit manufacturer). They have not heard of any issues with their wiring kit resulting in my issue. I did install the correct kit for my sport. Could the kit still be the cause? I find this unlikely, but I’m no expert on wiring kits. 

It does appear the lit panel is the original part from the factory and all connections seat firmly. 
I’m leaning toward broken wire or a plug pin not making connection. Without wiring info I’m flying blind.

Hey guys,

I disconnected the trailer wiring and I still no lights. I removed the reflector/light bar back up light assembly from the vehicle and found the wires that power the led lights. It’s the green, red and black wires and they do have their own plug. Visually inspected everything...no wire breaks. The 3 wires in question lead to a tiny circuit board inside the light bar assembly. There is a tiny plug that connects the wires to the board. I reseated this plug and still no lights. The tiny circuit board inside is loose, but I can’t get at this board other than to reseat the plug. There may be bad solder joints on this tiny board, but the part is not designed to be serviced. Big surprise. I would have to chop a hole in the back of the light bar to access this tiny board. This would be a last ditch before buying a new light bar assembly at the cost of $1200!! 

Anyone have any ideas?

This part is not fused separate and everything else works.

Having done a fair amount of hobby electronics I'd assess the function of that Printed Circuit Board and possibly repair it, but with the tightly packed surface mount stuff these days repairs are way more difficult.

You could try find a local electronics repair place who might be able to diagnose it for you.

You could also post clear photos of both sides of the PC Board and we might be able to tell what its meant to do and offer some advice.

Thanks for the link. I’m not sure I would spend that much, but who knows. 

I’ve got 11.5 volts to the last connection before it plugs into the circuit board. I would guess this is correct. Really leaning toward the little circuit board on the inside with the leds or whatever else is in there.

Update:

Upon further investigation, my light bar does not have lights installed. Either it was like this from the factory, or a previous owner replaced the unit and went cheap. Also, the wires leading to the tiny board inside the unit are for the back up lights. Bummer.

enough time spent. 
thanks everyone for your input

My side tail lights illuminate like a sport or titanium model should according to your pictures. I have an odd situation with my tailgate. Even if I purchase the correct light bar, I don’t have the wiring to make it work. Ford put an entire lift gate for a SE/SEL on a top sport model? Bizarre. Nice quality control at Ford. 

1 minute ago, BigBerky said:

My side tail lights illuminate like a sport or titanium model should according to your pictures. I have an odd situation with my tailgate. Even if I purchase the correct light bar, I don’t have the wiring to make it work. Ford put an entire lift gate for a SE/SEL on a top sport model? Bizarre. Nice quality control at Ford. 

That is highly unlikely -  if Ford actually did that, it would make it a "custom" build, which is more costly, even if it was to remove a feature.

I just bought it