Lug torque for aftermarket wheels

IcyFridge

I drive a 2019 SE and the manual says to torque lug nuts to 162 ft/lb which is insane. 

I have a new set of Method rally wheels coming in with standard lug nuts from Tire Rack and I'm afraid 162 ft/lb is gonna crack the flow formed aluminum. Should I stick with factory spec? Method themselves said 95 ft/lb maximum for *their lug nuts on their wheels* 

EDIT: I just got an email from Method when I asked about using other lug nuts, and their response was "The recommendation from our engineers on a vehicle with Method Race Wheels and a 14x1.5 thread pitch would be 85 min and 95 max ft/lb."

So I'm not sure if that's too low for what the manufacturer recommends which is an astounding 162 ft/lb. I just don't want a wheel to fall off!

Edited by IcyFridge

6 hours ago, akirby said:

I saw that thread as well. That's for OEM aluminum wheels. If I had OEM aluminum, I'd have no problem going to 162 ft/lb. However, Methods are flow formed lightweight aluminum and very expensive! I don't even know if the lug nuts they provide can handle that torque either. I asked about the lug nuts, and Method once again said "95 lb/ft max". Sounds like they're playing by the book. 

I guess I can always try something in the middle around 120 ft/lb....

Hell... The F-450 is rated for 140 ft/lb!

Edited by IcyFridge

The torque is supposed to be determined by the size of the wheel studs, look up how much you have to torque down the large single stud type rims you can get on porsches, it's up to 443ft/lbs. If insurance found out you under torqued you lug nuts they could deny coverage. The wheel should not dictate what the torque spec is, if they can't take the factory torque spec they are the wrong rims for the vehicle, plain and simple. Also if the rim can't take 162 ft/lbs its a crap rim and going to bend or break the moment you hit a pot hole. This maybe a newish standard but this model edge isn't the first to require this torque the f150s do too. 

I looked up the torque values for the thread and it's 85-95 ft/lb for 14x1.5 thread. Ford has the f150 do 150 ft/lb. 

I guess I'll stick with 150 because that's as high as my torque wrench will go. It also depends on the strength of the lugs as well. Method wheels are supposed to be strong, so I'll test that theory out. Ill have to worry about the lugs themselves. 

Something else to consider when tightening fasteners. Torque Wrenches are calibrated to be the most accurate at the middle range and the least accurate at the top and bottom of their range. I have 3 of them for that reason. The largest is rated at 250 ft/lbs and is the one I use for the 162 ft/lb spec.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, handfiler said:

Something else to consider when tightening fasteners. Torque Wrenches are calibrated to be the most accurate at the middle range and the least accurate at the top and bottom of their range. I have 3 of them for that reason. The largest is rated at 250 ft/lbs and is the one I use for the 162 ft/lb spec.

So you think 150 would be fine? I'm sure it's not gonna go anywhere with that much. Tire shops do what? 100?

8 minutes ago, Perblue said:

Tire shops are legally required to do the vehicles recommended torque specs, at least they are in canada.

If only America was the same. Tire Shops here either overtighten or scratch your wheels and deny it. The local Tire Shop that I use was dumbfounded at 162 ft/lb. 

• 3 years later...