Cracked flexplate $3,000.00 repair.

Callmejackson

We love  our 2016 Edge with 2.0 EcoBoost engine. We live on a farm in Texas on county roads and it has preformed without any problems for 60.472 miles. Then suddenly a horrible rattling started under the hood. I took it to the dealer where it was found to have a cracked flexplate, the adaptor that holds the tourkconverter to the engine adapting it to the transmition. Acording to Ford's maintenance  bulitans. The flexplate, the tourkconverter and automatic transmission pump must be replaced as well as all bolts and pins including the one that hold the bell housing. 

To my surprise with a little look at the internet, I found out that this is a more than common problem with the Ford Edge causing a recall of 2015 models.

My question is do I keep it after the $3,000.00 repair hoping I won't happen again or sell it?

You're worried about keeping a vehicle that you are going to spend 3 grand fixing a problem that took 5 years to happen, with only 60,000 miles on the rest of the drive train and will more than likely take another 5 years or a lot more to happen again? What would you replace it with? Something new? You'll see that in depreciation the moment you drive it off the lot, probably close to that on an equivalent used vehicle from a dealer also. 

2015 was the first year of the redesign of that engine so not a surprise there is some sort of recall there, granted even previous years could use the same flex plate and it could have been a supplier issue that affected certain number that year. Anyways that engine has been used in hundreds of thousands of vehicles and has proven to be very reliable.

Fix it and drive it. If you want extra piece of mind have an inspection done on it and get the Ford premium care coverage on it.

Unless there are other reasons you want to get rid of it, then see what they will give you for trade in without fixing it. Maybe ask "out of curiosity" what's it worth when fixed, then ask them about if it's not fixed. You might get a better break and have less than a 3 grand difference that they may or may not make up for when you try negotiating on the price of your new vehicle.

That's my opinion anyways.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update on my 2016 Edge with the cracked flexplate. The extended warranty that the dealership sold me when I bought the car has 14,000 miles and 4 months left before it expires. The Preferred Protection Plan has refused to cover the cracked flexplate untill the drive train is disassembled so they can take pictures. The Ford dealership will not disassemble the drive train  until I guarantee $1,160.00 payment for the disassembly. They hav had the car for over 2 weeks now. I'm 68 years old and have driven Fords my whole life. My 2003 F150 that has 247,00 miles on it and has never been in for repairs that I bought from this Sames dealership and the other Fords I have driven the wheels off of.  I am starting to change my mind. I will let you know if I have to take legal actions.

• Confused 1

The only reason I could see them asking for pictures is to make sure it's not being replaced when not needed. If the dealership is confident in their diagnosis and it is the ford extended warranty you have, not some third party one, then it should already be disassembled and claim submitted. I've never had any problems getting things fixed on fords extended warranty.

• Like 1

The dealership says they have never had this kind of problem with extended warranty. The sails manager thinks they are trying to get Ford to pay for it because its less than 1,000 miles past the 60,000 mile drive train warranty. I can't explain why the Dealer's service maniger wants customers guaranty of payment.  The gentleman won't return my calls. Thanks for the reply. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Finally got a call back from the service manager after a call to the main office of all the dealerships in question. He sead  my Edge would be repaired first psrt of the next week. I got it on Friday of the next week with only the $100.00 DEDUCTIBLE charge.

They had the car 1 day short of a month. No telling how long it would have taken if I had not rased a ruckus.  All I can say is Sames, Sames on them.

• 2 months later...

Further information.

When we picked up our 2016 Edge from Sames Ford Bastrop with the repaired cracked flexplate the service department said they could not give us a recept because the paper work was not yet completed. One week later we found we couldn't get the paperwork because the the extended warranty insurance that they sold us had not payed yet.  Now they say they have no record of ever reparing the cracked flexplate  on our  Edge. We need  the work order to see if the car was repaired according to Ford's instructions and list of parts that must be replaced. 

WHAT IS SAMES FORD OF BASTROP HIDING?   

Sames Ford's service department is incompetent or just plain crooked. 

I thought I would never say "The worst thing you can do with your Ford Edge that needs repairs is Take it to the Dealer.you can buy your car or truck from Sames but take it to Manor for service.

Edited by Callmejackson

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

My 2018 Edge got a cracked flexplate in 2022, at 56K miles.  Got it replaced under the recall.  Now the transmission on this vehicle is producing error codes P0741 and P1744; two different shops are quoting $7K or more to fix.  So I authorized a rebuild.  With the transmission off the vehicle, the shop is telling me the flexplate is cracked......again.  At 66K miles. They will replace it for a cost of $64 so I said do it.  

Two cracked plates in a row, only 10K miles apart.  Just normal driving, no towing.  Did Ford not even bother to install an upgraded part that can handle the increased power and torque of the turbo 2.0 engine?  Seems they must still be using the old flexplate from the non-turbo engine.  Can't imagine Toyota doing this.  Just nuts.  I like this Edge very much, but with this very expensive transmission repair, and now another cracked flexplate, I have to think - what's it going to be next?