Question about tow package on 2021 Titanium Edge

Noticed the factory Tow package requires AWD. I just need a 2" receiver for a 3 bike bike rack. Total weight less than 100 lbs. And I don't need or want AWD. But on past vehicles I have purchased, preferred the factory tow package because it (in the past anyway) included some other items like larger radiator, trans coolers, etc....stuff that I like whether I tow or not. (maybe I'm wrong about the benefit if not towing). The Titanium brochure says it has power hands free lift gate, so if I were to purchase an aftermarket hitch, will it interfere with the hands free function of the powered lift gate? Thanks

12 hours ago, RJG said:

Noticed the factory Tow package requires AWD. I just need a 2" receiver for a 3 bike bike rack. Total weight less than 100 lbs. And I don't need or want AWD. But on past vehicles I have purchased, preferred the factory tow package because it (in the past anyway) included some other items like larger radiator, trans coolers, etc....stuff that I like whether I tow or not. (maybe I'm wrong about the benefit if not towing). The Titanium brochure says it has power hands free lift gate, so if I were to purchase an aftermarket hitch, will it interfere with the hands free function of the powered lift gate? Thanks

I think most of the added benefits like oil coolers, etc. are standard now.   I added a hidden hitch to my 2016 MKX and it does not interfere with the lift gate hands free function.     I'd say it's a no brainer since you don't need the wiring harness either for the bike rack.

Don't know if you noticed it, you stated you need a 2" receiver but the factory tow option is a Class II hitch. (1-1/4" receiver). With an aftermarket hitch you won't get s 3,500 lb rating (if thats any concern later on).

Note you can use a 1-1/4" to 2" adaptor so that shouldn't be a problem (especially with a bike rack).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D8X7J2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_E5N857NNGQD0048RJK2Y

but you would have to take the awd option. 

Edited by enigma-2

2 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Don't know if you noticed it, you stated you need a 2" receiver but the factory tow option is a Class II hitch. (1-1/4" receiver). With an aftermarket hitch you won't get s 3,500 lb rating (if thats any concern later on).

Note you can use a 1-1/4" to 2" adaptor so that shouldn't be a problem (especially with a bike rack).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D8X7J2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_E5N857NNGQD0048RJK2Y

but you would have to take the awd option. 

Since 2011 the Edge has used a 2" receiver, even though it is a class II hitch.

On 4/15/2021 at 4:58 PM, omar302 said:

Since 2011 the Edge has used a 2" receiver, even though it is a class II hitch.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

I've always been under the impression that a Class 1 & 2 hitch was 1-1/4", and Class 3 was 2". Thats always the way aftermarket (like Curt, etc.) sells them for the Edge & MKX. (Don’t recall ever reading where that was a requirement however).

Got curious and looked on the Ford Towing Guide, but it didn't give the receiver size. Guess I never paid it any attention. 

I regularly use my 1 UP bike rack, when I go for rides away from home. Mine needs a 2" receiver. 1 1/4 receiver bike racks usually aren't stable  enough for 3 nice bikes. Sometimes one an E bike, which is heavier than a 17-18 lb road bike. But like akirby said, don't need the wiring, etc. But would like the receiver to not detract from vehicle rear looks. Never liked how the current aftermarket hitch looks on wife's 2012 Limited Edge. And all the various brands are available close by. 

Edited by RJG