Driver Side Rear Door Ajar

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2013 Edge.

About two years ago, I had my driver side rear door ajar light come on. It seemed to go off if I slammed the door. I looked at forums and grounded the solid green wire in that door and the issue went away.  Recently the same door ajar indicator came on again. If I slammed the door or was driving down the road the indicator would toggle on and off. I popped the door panel back off and checked the wire and I had a good ground still.  

My thought was that the wire or connection is bad further up near the brains of the car.  I traced the green wire from the back door panel, thru the driver side door plate, thru the firewall, under the BCM and all the way to the PCM/ECM. I tested continuity between the wire in the rear of the door and the PCM/ECM connector and I had a connection via my multimeter.

My thought now is that the PCM/ECM may be bad??? At the end of the day, I just want indicator ignored and my battery to last. I can check the door when using it.

Any thoughts on this as a next step?

IMG_2131.jpg

• 4 months later...

This is a well known and endemic problem on these vehicles. There's nothing broken per se, the door ajar sensor just sucks. You may be able to get it replaced for free under this Service Bulletin. 

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10138508-9999.pdf

I got my driver door fixed for free by the dealer, but they wouldn't do the rear door. 

Good luck!

Why Then does, (NHTSA), list:

88T4Z-78264H27-A Edge/MKX Front Latch, Left Side 1
8T4Z-78264A26-B Edge/MKX Front Latch, Right Side 1
8T4Z-7826413-C Edge/MKX Rear Latch, Left Side 1
8T4Z-7826412-C Edge/MKX Rear Latch, Right Si

Replacement for door ajar?

I would call the concierge and question this, if not satisfied, then contact NHTSA and have "them" explain why the dealer won't replace the part needed.

Best wishes

He can't get warranty on the problem as he modified the wiring (grounded the green wire). As the wire is grounded, it must be broken further up. 

You should be able to pull a code from the body control module, which may or may not help. But I seriously doubt the PCM is responsible. 

Wire breaks usually occur where there is flexture involved. This is why I would suspect the wire breaking near the door hinge (could still be inside door). One possible fix is to parallel the green wire through the door to cowling area. 

13 hours ago, CARR142 said:

Why Then does, (NHTSA), list:

88T4Z-78264H27-A Edge/MKX Front Latch, Left Side 1
8T4Z-78264A26-B Edge/MKX Front Latch, Right Side 1
8T4Z-7826413-C Edge/MKX Rear Latch, Left Side 1
8T4Z-7826412-C Edge/MKX Rear Latch, Right Si

Replacement for door ajar?

I would call the concierge and question this, if not satisfied, then contact NHTSA and have "them" explain why the dealer won't replace the part needed.

Best wishes

The referred document is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin), not a recall or extended warranty. If his original warranty had expired then the dealer can't claim it under warranty.

• Thanks 1