Cold Air Intake Edge ST & Sport 2.7EB

Xtra

I just realized that I have not tested the fit of the air box with the engine cover on. It is a little oversight that could set things back on this project. I need to check that soon before I go any further down the rabbit hole. I want it to work with the engine cover on, It may fit, I just have not tried yet. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Duece McCracken said:

Pshh, i threw that pos cover out. Send me the goods!!!

lol,

I have had some personal things going on, and that is why I have not posted for awhile with updates. I should be back on track in a few more days. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, MichaelTM said:

Just so everyone knows @Xtra makes some awesome stuff. I got the V2 from him recently and it looks and fits great. I have been meaning to post this for a while. Now I'm just waiting on the V3!!!!

Thanks so much . It means a lot, and gives me incentive to press on. 

• Like 1

The V3 Air Box top half is finished, the design is locked in.

There will be option boxes to be checked for the top half  :

1.  Wet oiled, washable, reusable Air Filter. 

2.  Dry media Air Filter, non washable, when it gets dirty it will need replacing. 

3.  Filter Sock,  fits both wet and dry filters. Best for use in dry dusty conditions, like Australia's Outback. 

4.  Stock Black Finish

5.  Real Carbon Fiber 3K tow with 2x2 weave and high gloss gel coat.

6.  Auxiliary Air input with adaptor and hose.

7.  ????? TBD

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Xtra said:

The V3 Air Box top half is finished, the design is locked in.

There will be option boxes to be checked for the top half  :

1.  Wet oiled, washable, reusable Air Filter. 

2.  Dry media Air Filter, non washable, when it gets dirty it will need replacing. 

3.  Filter Sock,  fits both wet and dry filters. Best for use in dry dusty conditions, like Australia's Outback. 

4.  Stock Black Finish

5.  Real Carbon Fiber 3K tow with 2x2 weave and high gloss gel coat.

6.  Auxiliary Air input with adaptor and hose.

7.  ????? TBD

YESSSS!!! IT'S HAPPENING!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The bottom half is still a work in progress, and I have not posted much about that.  I have one bottom half already working and the mold made for it, but it is very labor intensive, and the cost is high just for the parts alone.  I am working on a second bottom half, that if I can get it working, will save money and labor costs. One of the big problems I ran into was how to attach the halves together. I was thinking of bolting them together with threaded U nuts, but that was not good enough for me. Last night I had an epiphany on how to do it using sock OEM Air Box latches. This was a major breakthrough and why I am posting this info now. 

This first idea that is out. Requires tools and machine screws that can come loose.

threaded U nut jpg.jpg

New idea requires no tools, no screws to tighten or fall out.

OEM LATCH.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

Here I am test fitting the new base / bottom half of the V3 to the top half.

At first in order to clear the headlight I had to trim the air box lid corner. After some adjustments it now clears and no mods to the lid will be necessary no matter which base I end up with. 

V3 CORNER TRIM.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

This is a mock-up with the new base mold in place and the lid just resting on it. I needed to see if the hood would close with the aux air hose installed because it sits a little higher than the other/ first base.  The aux air hose is just resting there and not going anywhere. Also needed to check if there was any interference anyplace else .  After checking the new bottom half mold and finding no problems with interference, progress can continue.  

TEST FIT W: NEW BASE.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The blue tape on the air box lid is to protect it. It has taken a lot of abuse and even with the tape in place it is starting to show some wear and tear. There are scratches, bits of glue and fiberglass stuck to it, tool marks, dust and dirt, and a sawed off corner. But even with those flaws it is absolutely perfect for development work. :)

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 8:27 PM, Xtra said:

This is a mock-up with the new base mold in place and the lid just resting on it. I needed to see if the hood would close with the aux air hose installed because it sits a little higher than the other/ first base.  The aux air hose is just resting there and not going anywhere. Also needed to check if there was any interference anyplace else .  After checking the new bottom half mold and finding no problems with interference, progress can continue.  

TEST FIT W: NEW BASE.JPG

Maybe I'm just a bit of a noob but I can't figure out what the aux air hose is gonna be used for. Can you elaborate? Either way that looks mint with the metal pipe. Even with the painters tape!

Edited by MichaelTM
Spelling
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MichaelTM said:

Maybe I'm just a bit of a noob but I can't figure out what the aux air hose is gonna be used for. Can you elaborate? Either way that looks mint with the metal pipe. Even with the painters tape!

Hello MichaelTM,  Thanks,  glad you like the way it looks. 

What you are seeing on the right side of the photo is the auxiliary air input. It provides supplementary or additional air to the Air Box from a secondary source. By secondary source I mean another source of air besides the OEM snorkel. For the majority of cars it will be unnecessary as the V3 will supply all the air a stock car could need. The auxiliary air input is for use with tuned cars, or cars that have custom turbos or other high performance mods. Even for tuned cars it is unnecessary, but would not hurt.  The Aux air input works with the snorkel to supply large amounts of air to the air box thus allowing a modded engine to breath with as little restriction as possible. Gasoline engines are basically air pumps. Air comes in, fuel is burned creating more air that moves the piston,  then the used air exits out the tail pipe.  Thus an air pump. This is why intake and exhaust modifications are so popular. Moving air into and out of an engine with as little restriction as possible is a great recipe for Horse Power. *The aux air will be an option and it is on there in this test fitting so I know the hood will close.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I have been working on another mold..  As I said in the beginning things may change, and I am posting as I am doing, so you will see my wins and losses.  

Now that the custom bottom half mold is complete, I have been working in another direction.  What I have done is create an adaptor that will attach the V3 top half to the stock OEM bottom half. I hope. The bottom half I have now does work and has been road tested, the adaptor has not. I have almost finished the adaptor mold, and it needs some sanding around the anchors, and vacuum slots cut into it. Only the wood base still needs to be fabricated so it is getting very close to completion.

Here you can see the mounting bolt holes it still need some work before it's finish. After that it will be ready to mount to the wood base. 

V3 ADAPTOR BOTTOM.JPG

This is the top of the adaptor mold with the vacuum holes drilled, polished, and ready to go. 

V3 ADAPTOR TOP.JPG

Upon completion I will take the two molds I made to the plastic shop and have some test parts made. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Once some parts are vacuum formed and fitted, I will have a better idea on what design is better and most cost effective. The adapter should have some aluminum parts CNC to give it a professional look. The aluminum parts on the  first couple adapters will be done by hand to perfect the design and for testing. Once that is done I will look into having them  CNC. Each of its four sides needs a different aluminum part machined to latch it together. All the CNC work may bring the cost similar to the bottom half I have now. We will have to see what half is the better half. 

• Like 3

Considering it says 104 in the shade on my patio I accomplished a lot. 

Here is the prototype latch that will hold down the V3 top half to the adaptor. It will take two of these riveted to the adaptor to do that. This is first of the items I would like to be CNC milled, even if they are easy to cutout by hand. Considering that they are hardly visible when installed it matters little but little things mater.

V3 latch closed .JPG

V3 latch open.JPG

• Like 3

Worked on the wood base today , almost finished and ran out of light. Will let the Bondo set over night then sand and finish tomorrow. 

Fitting for the vacuum hose installed

V3 base.JPG

Screws ready to go in countersunk pre-drilled pilot holes

IMG_7615.JPG

Assembled box with Bondo applied ready for sanding 

IMG_7629.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, hyperc32 said:

how much longer ?

Not much  longer the end is within sight.  I was able to finish the wood base for the V3 adaptor plate mold today. It is drying as I type this. 

Yes,  today was a good day as the V3 patch mold is done. The V3 adaptor mold is almost complete, It just needs assembly. Next week both molds are off to the plastic shop to make some V3 parts. The design for the latches on the adaptor is done, but they need to be fabricated, and that is the last hurdle to production. If everything works out I would guess in 4 or 5 weeks I can start taking orders. 

V3 wood base complete.JPG

• Like 1