Mold smell in a/c.

I had a heavy mold smell in the a/c. Stunk up the garage in just a few hours.The dealer took apart every thing and cleaned the system. When it didn't help, I spent a saturday doing the same. The day the odor started was the same day I replaced the wipers. That seamed an unlikely source, but when I pulled the wipers off the smell went away. I replaced the wipers. Nothing removed the odor from the blades. We had flooding last June. My guess is they were in a local warehouse and got wet.

I had a heavy mold smell in the a/c. Stunk up the garage in just a few hours.The dealer took apart every thing and cleaned the system. When it didn't help, I spent a saturday doing the same. The day the odor started was the same day I replaced the wipers. That seamed an unlikely source, but when I pulled the wipers off the smell went away. I replaced the wipers. Nothing removed the odor from the blades. We had flooding last June. My guess is they were in a local warehouse and got wet.

Not sure fi the Edga has an internal filter for the air, those usually are easily replaceable, and if the odor is attached to it, it will came back as soon as you use the AC again...try replacing it...

Not sure fi the Edga has an internal filter for the air, those usually are easily replaceable, and if the odor is attached to it, it will came back as soon as you use the AC again...try replacing it...

I agree. I replaced the filter when I bleached the system. After the wipers were replaced, the smell was instantly gone. It has not returned. The wipers are ripening in my back yard!

• 3 months later...
Forgive my ignorance, but are you referring to the Window Wipers? Also, I have the 2008 Edge and I didn't think it had an air filter. If it does, can you tell me how to access it?

If equipped with cabin air filter, as it states in manual, how do you access the filter to change it. Dealer charges $100 to replace the filter.

Forgive my ignorance, but are you referring to the Window Wipers? Also, I have the 2008 Edge and I didn't think it had an air filter. If it does, can you tell me how to access it?

Sure! The wipers, by the way were the windshield wiper blades. The mold was in the rubber. A set I picked up for my son's Escape the same day also were moldy. As for the filter...open the glovebox door. Once fully openyou will need to press on the upper back or side to allow the door to swing further. The tab restaining it is obvious. There is a spring tensioned cable which needs to be released to allow a full swing. This will allow access to a door covering the filter. This is much easier than it sounds! It takes less than a minute and requires no tools.

Sure! The wipers, by the way were the windshield wiper blades. The mold was in the rubber. A set I picked up for my son's Escape the same day also were moldy. As for the filter...open the glovebox door. Once fully openyou will need to press on the upper back or side to allow the door to swing further. The tab restaining it is obvious. There is a spring tensioned cable which needs to be released to allow a full swing. This will allow access to a door covering the filter. This is much easier than it sounds! It takes less than a minute and requires no tools.

Do you have a 2008 edge?

so wait.. a rubber product that is designed specifically to interact and come in constant and long term contact with water, can get moldy.. because of water. isn't that like a boat made of paper.
That is why I took my dash apart twice looking for the source. I washed everything including the blades in 10% bleach. My car smelled like bleach for a couple of weeks. Last June we had major flooding in parts of the midwest. My guess is the product was from a contaminated warehouse. After I realized the blades were the source, I removed the blades and soaked them in bleach in a doubled trashbag for a day, but could still smell the odor through the bag! I e-mailed the manufacturer who never got back to me.

OK I found the Air Filter. Boy is it dirty. I just ordered (2) new filter here for $3.74 each. http://www.logical-source.com/2008-FORD-EDGE-8770.html I'm not certain if these are any better than the factory filter. Probably just the same since it reads stock OEM replacement. I want good filter but I don't want to restrict air flow. The Edge's A/C fan already barely pushed are as it is.

OK I found the Air Filter. Boy is it dirty. I just ordered (2) new filter here for $3.74 each. http://www.logical-source.com/2008-FORD-EDGE-8770.html I'm not certain if these are any better than the factory filter. Probably just the same since it reads stock OEM replacement. I want good filter but I don't want to restrict air flow. The Edge's A/C fan already barely pushed are as it is.

That's a cheap price. The motorcraft filter is $13.00