locking doors while towing

I have a 2021 Edge st and we flat tow it. The braking system is not in the cab but under the hood. I need to shut off the power with a red battery switch under the hood after putting it in neutral  pulling the 

strap under the stirring wheel. When I turn the power off I can't lock the doors on the car, if I lock the doors then turn the power off and close the hood I can't get the doors open to open the hood to turn the power on. I'd

like to lock the doors as we carry our personal stuff in the car. Does anyone know why we must shut the power off and run the car 5 minutes every 6 hrs? Thanks so much

Ford's guidance on battery disconnection, and on running the vehicle every six hours, each have everything to do with avoiding a dead battery while flat-towing.

An alternative to the battery disconnect is to run a battery-charge line from your RV to your Edge ST to maintain the battery power consumed when electronic modules are awakened by the Edge's braking action actuated by your under-hood braking add-on.

You will likely benefit from at least two discussions on these RV-centered forums that will provide you background information and other Edge-owners' experiences.

The first is on ForestRiversForum from 2017-2018 and is Edge AWD specific, and the second is on iRV2 Forums and is Edge ST specific.

Good luck!

• Like 1

For the driver's door, as @circatee mentioned above, you can use the emergency key (key blade) that's inside the keyfob. 

This is from the Owners manual (link to the 2021 Edge Owners Manual?

image.png.d5d1983f29d2f7206101cfc257050e85.png

The other 3 doors can be locked, again using the key blade, you have to open the doors to lock them. You can't unlock them manually from the outside, so you'll have to open them from the inside by pulling the inside door handles (pull twice on the rear doors).

image.png.9de78b289479d19d07e58d591637cefe.png

On 6/13/2021 at 12:19 PM, Edgeowner2021$ said:

I have a 2021 Edge st and we flat tow it. The braking system is not in the cab but under the hood. I need to shut off the power with a red battery switch under the hood after putting it in neutral  pulling the 

strap under the stirring wheel. When I turn the power off I can't lock the doors on the car, if I lock the doors then turn the power off and close the hood I can't get the doors open to open the hood to turn the power on. I'd

like to lock the doors as we carry our personal stuff in the car. Does anyone know why we must shut the power off and run the car 5 minutes every 6 hrs? Thanks so much

The real reason we must disconnect the battery is because the ST has an electric parking brake and at some time it will set the brake and drag the real wheels.  You may get by with it a couple of times before it does this. I installed a battery disconnect switch that is a push button inside the car and tow with doors unlocked but we don't carry anything valuable inside the car.  It has been determined that the run the car every six hours does apply the current Edge, it did apply to my previous Flex.  here is a couple of links that should help.  I tow my 2020 ST.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Roadmaster/RM-766.html?feed=npn&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google | Smart Shopping - Accessories and Parts - Maximize Revenue&ad    https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2019-ford-edge-st-436787.html