LED backup bulb replacement

Good evening all,

I have a 2016 Sport “To Good To Be Blue” with only 27,000 miles, impeccably maintained, garage kept and just noticed the left side back up lamp out. I’m assuming it’s a burnt out light and from what I am told to remedy this issue I will have to replace the whole light assembly which appears to be a very expensive part. Can anyone please tell me if this is true and is this a common issue with the Edge. If this is the case I’m going to contact Ford Customer Care to get them involved and try to get it replaced under some special circumstance. And if that doesn’t work, I will contact NHTSA and get them involved. Lights, especially LED should outlast incandescent bulbs and I find this troubling Ford would let an engineer design something stupid as an expensive repair for just a burnt out light.

Yes. it is an LED and replacement is only with the complete light assembly, which is expensive. No, it is not common, at least not by how many have reported it on this forum. There was another member who reported weak reverse lights recently (this post). Maybe check the wiring, maybe the LED is still functional.

Also, this "Stupid" thing is common for all new vehicles as they are transitioning to LED lighting.

Edit: I remember taking a peak at the PDI documents of my Edge & there was a note on replacing the rear revers light before delivery. So add this one also, though this was even before the Edge was first registered.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 3

Thanks for the reply. I called the dealership where I purchased it and they quoted me a price of $814.75. The whole light bar assembly across the tailgate has no access panels on the inside either. Although I think this light assembly is the best looking to date there should of been previsions incorporated to service the light assembly. Really dumb engineering idea. I can see why they deep sixed that look. That being said, Ford will not back up the fix. So, now I am filing a safety complaint with NHTSA and ask them to make Ford recall and replace the assembly due to safety concern with possible pedestrian backing up injuries. Also, if enough people have this issue, start a class action suit to make Ford replace the light assembly.