Turbo replacement at home.

ymerameha

Hello

TDCi, Bi-Turbo, T9CE, 2.0L, 154 KW.
The local store thinks that the failure of smaller turbo of bi-turbo is behind the formation of excess soot and clogging of the DPF.

I had the idea to replace this turbo myself, because they (both the local store and the dealer) want an insane amount of money to replace it, and the original turbo itself is quite expensive. I'd like to spend a little less money.
I couldn't find any replacement videos or descriptions on the internet and looking under the hood, some questions arose.
Has anyone replaced the turbo on this engine himself?
Does the engine need to be removed or can the turbo somehow get caught between the cab and the engine? There seems to be very little space.
How long could a replacement take if the wrench holds relatively well?
Is there anything that deserves special attention?
Can I get repair instructions for European models through motorcraftservice (if I buy 3 days access)? https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Purchase/ViewProduct

Is that a good idea at all? :) To do or not to do, that's the question.

Thank you all for your time.

3 hours ago, niceonept said:

Hi.

I couldn't find any Haynes or similar manual for the European Edge but did find this: https://www.easymanuals.co.uk/product/ford-edge-pdf-workshop-service-repair-manual-2016-2020/ 

and this on eBay: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274298000550

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you @niceonept

I bought this manual and it is very helpful. I don't have to figure out what to disassemble and in what order, and which seals need to be replaced.
It's not exactly the engine of my model, but visually everything seems more or less the same.
The lack of space still raises questions. At the moment, it seems that it must be accessible from both the bottom and the top.

Edited by ymerameha

8 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

you will likely not get the PC/ED section of the manual, just the actual workshop manual, and possibly the wiring diagrams. it will be a single PDF file, but organized.

What is PC/ED section of the manual and do I need this for changing turbo?

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Nsohail76 said:

Did everything work out well for you with replacing by yourself? I am planning on doing it on my wife’s edge tomorrow. Please let me know if you have any tips or lessons learnt.

I haven't replaced it yet.
The car is already a couple of weeks at the dealer at defection. To get another opinion.
They are not currently saying that the turbol is faulty. The only thing they have said is that the correct temperatures are not achieved during regeneration of DPF. They ordered a new fuel vapour and it will be replaced when arriving. Then we will see if my saga continues.
Looks like you can give me some advice instead. :)
My most burning question is whether the turbo can be reached without removing the engine?

Edited by ymerameha

I ended up changing it myself, turbo is working now but i have a coolant leak from one of the hoses. Not able to figure out which one it is.

The 2 hoses on the back. I am not sure which one is coolant hose. Let me know if you know anything. If you have a picture of your turbo from the side. That will help too

My car is still in dealer and I don't have any pictures of turbo.
My turbo is like https://spolshy.com.ua/product/9805482485/ or https://atomcarparts.co.uk/product/turbocharger-no-10009700232-for-ford-mondeo-s-max-galxy-2-0-tdci/
Page from service manual where stated to be prepared to collect escaping fluid:

image.png

Maybe that helps you and thank you for info.

How much do you think the turbo weighs?

Edited by ymerameha

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Lostlittlelamb said:

Yes its kinda tricky once you move the cat out out of they way you have to turn it just right and will slide right out. Exauhst manifold fa ing down and 2 air ports facing th cat and angine will get you close.

Thanks for explaining.

I just noticed that my post was made in the wrong forum. My Edge engine is a Duratorq-TDCi, not an EcoBoost. This can be a little confusing here. Maybe we're talking about different engines.

What engines are you talking about @Lostlittlelamb, @Nsohail76?

I don't know which forum my post would actually fit into.

Edited by ymerameha

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...