My '20 Edge ST Towing Experience

In doing my research about towing with an Edge ST, I found very little info or experiences. So I thought I would post mine because I'm quite impressed! I think the platform is very underrated, not from a what it can't tow but from how it tows within its ratings. 

I am towing a 7.5x14 foot, all aluminum, v-nose, dual spread axle cargo trailer that I've converted to a camper. It was totally stripped and bare bones weighing 1,500 pounds. I insulated it, added holding tanks, paneling, vinyl floor planks, cabinets, beds, shower, propane tank, tv, refrigerator, microwave, air conditioning, etc. I think it weighs around 3,200 now but I'll be weighing it soon to make sure. Tongue weight is an estimated 350. So it would seem all within the towing specs.

Now for the good parts. I have H&R lowering springs so you might be wondering, "How is the sag from all that tongue weight?". Isn't the ride harsh over bumps? So I also installed air bags and an auto-leveling pump which serves 2 purposes: the first is to take up any sag with the trailer hitched up (which was only about 2 inches) and the second is I can inflate the air bags to the max PSI so I can get better launches once I'm tuned.

The trailer also has electric brakes and so even though the ST has pretty good brakes, having the trailer brakes makes stopping fast very controlled. I use a brake controller that goes inline with the 7-way plug (had to install that too) and a phone app to adjust it's settings. Works quite nicely.

The ST has the 21 inch wheels and the tires are pretty low profile. Most say this is a terrible combination for towing. At the weight I'm towing, I beg to differ. I set the rear tires to 40 PSI cold and there is absolutely no squirm or wheel lip road rub when turning sharply. With the stiffer sidewalls and stiff suspension with air bags, even cross winds are comfortably handled.

Towing power is crazy good. I live in the mountains and have no issue maintaining speed up any grades. I don't know the trans or engine temps while climbing, but I have the A/C on and with the temps outside over 100, there is no overheating. The ST just handles it. Acceleration from a stop is really good which helps merging in to traffic and passing power is awesome. Can't wait to get a tow tune though.

So there you have it. I believe there is more the ST can handle but it's limited by the hitch specs. With a proper hitch, it could probably handle 4500 pounds safely and without unibody damage. If anyone wants a list of parts I used for setting up for towing, let me know. Cheers!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Returned from 1000 mile roundtrip to the Redwood Forest yesterday. Averaged 11.6 mpg doing 62 to 64 mph most of the way. There were several climbs and a lot of rolling hills. Temps were in the upper 90's until we got closer to the coast. Power and handling was great. 20 psi in the air bags, 40 psi rear tires, 35 psi front.

One issue I had: every time I started an ascent, after a minute or so climbing, I got a notice indicating "AWD temporarily disabled". What causes this? There was no overheating of the PTU/diff that I could tell. No gear smell, no power loss. After the start of the descent, AWD was re-enabled and everything seemed fine.

Maybe it thinks there's too much power going to the rear because of the incline? Anyone have this happen to them? 

13 hours ago, poontanghooligan said:

Returned from 1000 mile roundtrip to the Redwood Forest yesterday. Averaged 11.6 mpg doing 62 to 64 mph most of the way. There were several climbs and a lot of rolling hills. Temps were in the upper 90's until we got closer to the coast. Power and handling was great. 20 psi in the air bags, 40 psi rear tires, 35 psi front.

One issue I had: every time I started an ascent, after a minute or so climbing, I got a notice indicating "AWD temporarily disabled". What causes this? There was no overheating of the PTU/diff that I could tell. No gear smell, no power loss. After the start of the descent, AWD was re-enabled and everything seemed fine.

Maybe it thinks there's too much power going to the rear because of the incline? Anyone have this happen to them? 

If I were you, I would definitely drain & replace the PTU & Transmission fluids, maybe even the RDU. Getting 11.6 mpg driving 62-64 mph over 1000 miles means your Edge was really working hard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, omar302 said:

If I were you, I would definitely drain & replace the PTU & Transmission fluids, maybe even the RDU. Getting 11.6 mpg driving 62-64 mph over 1000 miles means your Edge was really working hard.

I averaged 17.5+ at 68 MPH on a 1450 mile trip for Arizona to Washington last month. I think this is more in line with Ford's intended towing for the Edge. 

Edge trailer in Wells, Nv.jpg

11 hours ago, omar302 said:

Yes it was working hard for sure. However, I've learned that there are specific safety measures taken by the ECU to ensure conditions don't allow for failures to occur, within reason of course. The RDU is disengaged if it can't be kept cool enough which might the case in my situation. Still don't know without knowing temps.

In most 4WD (not AWD) vehicles, you don't get this kind of management by the ECU. It's mechanical and up to the driver to manage so in a rear diff overheat situation, it's the gear oil burning that lets you know you have a problem. Then it's too late.

3 hours ago, Snoking said:

I kind of think you have the wrong trailer or wrong tow vehicle for such trips. 

Hmmm...I don't see why either is wrong. I am within the manufactures limits on tongue weight (340 now), max trailer weight (3280), frontal area of trailer above vehicle roofline not exceeding 30 square feet and GVWR below 5700 lbs. The trailer also has dual axels with electric brakes. The ST has additional cooling capacity as well. I'm also following the special operating conditions maintenance schedule as outlined in the manual. 

So how is what I'm doing wrong?

4 hours ago, Snoking said:

I averaged 17.5+ at 68 MPH on a 1450 mile trip for Arizona to Washington last month. I think this is more in line with Ford's intended towing for the Edge. 

Nice! You have much less drag with that setup. While there might be "intended" towing, I am within all manufacturers specifications for my setup. I'm not trying to justify doing something I shouldn't. And overall, the trip went great. I had all the power I needed, braking was really good and handling was what I would expect when towing a trailer. 

I have a lot of towing experience (30 years) with many RV's and vehicle combinations. None of the vehicles were AWD though. So my question was around why the AWD was disabled under specific conditions, like starting up a grade. If the RDU is overheating and I am within manufacturers specs, then Ford's RDU cooling capacity is overrated.

Edited by poontanghooligan

13 hours ago, poontanghooligan said:

Yes it was working hard for sure. However, I've learned that there are specific safety measures taken by the ECU to ensure conditions don't allow for failures to occur, within reason of course. The RDU is disengaged if it can't be kept cool enough which might the case in my situation. Still don't know without knowing temps.

In most 4WD (not AWD) vehicles, you don't get this kind of management by the ECU. It's mechanical and up to the driver to manage so in a rear diff overheat situation, it's the gear oil burning that lets you know you have a problem. Then it's too late.

Ford's ECU measures to protect the AWD has been present since at least the 2011 Edge model year, yet many PTUs have failed. Ford even made later versions of the PTU with oil drain plugs to allow for oil changing on some newer models.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I cant comment about the rdu temp issues other than to note that the sail effect/frontal drag is loading the entire drivetrain in excess of a similar weight low profile trailer, thus its harder overall on the edge.  

While I support towing what you can with what you have, the short wheelbase and large sail area are two things which would cause me to not want to tow that trailer much at all. Definitely change your PTU fluid, at least you have a drain plug!

The rear diff on our edges is pretty small.  I got mine changed at 80K just for preventative measures cause’ I’ve towed 5x8 and 6x12’ Uhaul trailers a fair bit while moving.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

This a good series towing conversation.  I have a 2019 Edge SEL AWD with the class ii trailer towing package. I'm looking to upgrade my trailer electric connector from a 4-pin to a 7-pin, and add a brake controller.  Curious if anyone has done this trailer towing upgrade? How and where did they install the 7-pin connector, photos would be helpful. Any other advise.

I'm considering towing an older Galaxy StarCraft popup trailer. The trailer curb weight is about 1,500 lbs.  I live in Colorado so going up possible 6-7 grade hills. The car fully loaded with 3 adults and 2 teenagers, plus all the traveling cargo. I know I should get a truck to two this popup trailer but I see Poontanghooligan pulling his custom trailer makes me think I could tow a trailer at half the weight.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 11:59 AM, poontanghooligan said:

Finally got the trailer weighed. Came in at 3280 pounds with 440 tongue weight. Going to have to load more stuff to the rear to offload some of that. 1000 mile roundtrip next week and I'll report back mileage.

IMG_3330.jpg

Have you considered a weight distributing hitch?  This could help with the leveling, and then use the airbags for fine tuning.  Nice job on the trailer by the way.  When you get a chance, could you post some pics of the innards.  Gotta see what you did inside.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 9:29 PM, rockiesmike said:

This a good series towing conversation.  I have a 2019 Edge SEL AWD with the class ii trailer towing package. I'm looking to upgrade my trailer electric connector from a 4-pin to a 7-pin, and add a brake controller.  Curious if anyone has done this trailer towing upgrade? How and where did they install the 7-pin connector, photos would be helpful. Any other advise.

I'm considering towing an older Galaxy StarCraft popup trailer. The trailer curb weight is about 1,500 lbs.  I live in Colorado so going up possible 6-7 grade hills. The car fully loaded with 3 adults and 2 teenagers, plus all the traveling cargo. I know I should get a truck to two this popup trailer but I see Poontanghooligan pulling his custom trailer makes me think I could tow a trailer at half the weight.

I was looking at the 7-pin towing connector review etrailer Accessories and Parts - ETBC7.  A comment was made that some cars already have the pre-wiring and connector under the dashboard. I have the the class II towing package preinstalled so I'm wondering if I already have the 7-pin wiring preinstalled. I guess simply looking will answer this question. A little friendly knowledge will be helpful.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, rockiesmike said:

I was looking at the 7-pin towing connector review etrailer Accessories and Parts - ETBC7.  A comment was made that some cars already have the pre-wiring and connector under the dashboard. I have the the class II towing package preinstalled so I'm wondering if I already have the 7-pin wiring preinstalled. I guess simply looking will answer this question. A little friendly knowledge will be helpful.

Thanks.

Curious if you have any photos of where you mounted your brake controller.

On 8/15/2021 at 1:26 PM, Snoking said:

Edge trailer in Wells, Nv.jpg

Yep, agreed. Here's my only towing experience with the Edge so far. Similar.   

image.png

• 3 months later...

Here's another testimonial for ford edge towing. I own a 2013 Edge SE with the 3.5l engine and 2WD.  I added a hitch rated for 4000 lbs and tongue wt of 350 lbs or 400 lbs with a WDH. Added the 7 pin plug and the kit to power it. I also installed a trailer brake controller.  I swapped out the radiator for the towing unit which has the 1" core replacing the old 5/8" core. last I installed a "doggle" which sends the ECM information to my phone with a Torque app. I tow a 2019 R-Pod 179 that I had weighed at a gravel yard with all camping supplies, empty tanks but no food or clothing. The trailer weighed 3,000 lbs with 350 lbs tongue weight. That's 2,650 on the trailer axle. I have towed the trailer about 5,000 mi. Longest trip was MI to SW Texas. I run about 65 on freeways. The sway bar is a help above 55. I have experienced mountain driving with no problems. Power is never a problem. I have real time monitoring and engine temp is in the 200 to 220 range with the trans at about 200 to 215. I run synthetic oil which can handle much higher temps. Every other oil change I drop and replace 5 qts of trans fluid and it always comes out pretty pink without any odor to indicate excess heat. I get 12.5 -14.5 mpg. Wind has a large effect.  So that's my experience and I am well pleased. I have decided to add air bags to see if it reduces the "sway". The car and trailer sit pretty level as it is and the sway is minimal with the bar. I have read posts of others that claim air bags have pretty much eliminated their sway.  Previously I pulled a 16' Scamp and hardly knew it was there. I hope the air bags will put me closer to that experience.  The Edge is an excellent tow vehicle within it's limits.

• Thanks 1