DTC U3003

Correy

FORScan Lite's descriptor for the U3003 Digital Trouble Code is consistent with the 2018 Edge/MKX Workshop Manual, which provides a diagnostic procedure to test potential fault sources, including wiring, terminals and connectors, battery, charging system, and the affected module(s).

The procedure does note that the code may be stored in the module memory due to past battery charging or vehicle jump-starting events, which may be indicated by charging system DTCs stored in other modules' memories.

Because the Edge is recently new-to-you and you cannot be sure if any prior owner action may have triggered the code, and, warranty coverage still exists on the vehicle, I would have the dealer check it out, if for no other reason than to document the fault existing before the warranty expires, just in case it reoccurs.

Below are download links for relevant Workshop Manual sections, which will enhance your awareness.

DTC U3003_1C Diagnostic and Testing Procedure - HUDM - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Steering Angle Sensor Module Wiring Connector Location - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Adaptive Steering System Electronic Modules Wiring Diagram - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Steering Effort Control Module Wiring Connector Location - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Adaptive Steering - System Operation and Component Description - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Steering - System Operation and Component Description - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Module Configuration - Systems Operation and Component Description - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 9/22/2021 at 3:30 AM, Haz said:

FORScan Lite's descriptor for the U3003 Digital Trouble Code is consistent with the 2018 Edge/MKX Workshop Manual, which provides a diagnostic procedure to test potential fault sources, including wiring, terminals and connectors, battery, charging system, and the affected module(s).

The procedure does note that the code may be stored in the module memory due to past battery charging or vehicle jump-starting events, which may be indicated by charging system DTCs stored in other modules' memories.

Because the Edge is recently new-to-you and you cannot be sure if any prior owner action may have triggered the code, and, warranty coverage still exists on the vehicle, I would have the dealer check it out, if for no other reason than to document the fault existing before the warranty expires, just in case it reoccurs.

Below are download links for relevant Workshop Manual sections, which will enhance your awareness.

DTC U3003_1C Diagnostic and Testing Procedure - HUDM - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Steering Angle Sensor Module Wiring Connector Location - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Adaptive Steering System Electronic Modules Wiring Diagram - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Steering Effort Control Module Wiring Connector Location - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Adaptive Steering - System Operation and Component Description - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Steering - System Operation and Component Description - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Module Configuration - Systems Operation and Component Description - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

Hi Haz,

Was searching online for a similar code I was getting and stumbled on this post. Is it possible to upload the diagnostic procedure for the SASM? I have the PDF for the 2015 model Edge which at the time was not available with the Adaptive Steering as my 2016 is equipped with.

Omar: The Workshop Manual requires a VIN to compose the Adaptive Steering diagnostic & testing procedures.

VIN Required To Compose Adaptive Steering Diagnostic Routine.jpg

If you are comfortable providing me your Edge's VIN via the Forum's private messaging service, then I'll be able to provide you that information.

Below are links to PDFs of other relevant 2016 Edge Workshop Manual sections...

Adaptive Steering - Overview - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Adaptive Steering - System Operation and Component Description - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Adaptive Steering Wiring Diagram - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Steering - System Operation and Component Description - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Module Configuration - System Operation and Component Description - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

Below are links to PDF versions of the SASM DTC Index, which refers to various Pinpoint Tests relating to specific DTCs, as well as Pinpoint Test E relating to Lost Communications With SASM concern.

SASM DTC Index - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Pinpoint Test E - Lost Communication With SASM Concern - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

I expect your review of the DTC Index and/or Pinpoint Test E may develop a need for additional Pinpoint Test(s) and/or Workshop Manual sections, depending upon the DTC(s) you are seeking to remedy. 

Please let me know what additional references you require and I will gladly provide them.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This issue turned out to be a bad battery......not sending 12v to the BCM.

After I posted this, similar codes popped up and the Intelligent Access would only function on the driver's door. 

New battery installed and now no codes ?

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 12/27/2021 at 7:29 AM, Haz said:

Below are links to PDF versions of the SASM DTC Index, which refers to various Pinpoint Tests relating to specific DTCs, as well as Pinpoint Test E relating to Lost Communications With SASM concern.

SASM DTC Index - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Pinpoint Test E - Lost Communication With SASM Concern - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

I expect your review of the DTC Index and/or Pinpoint Test E may develop a need for additional Pinpoint Test(s) and/or Workshop Manual sections, depending upon the DTC(s) you are seeking to remedy. 

Please let me know what additional references you require and I will gladly provide them.

Good luck!

Hi Haz,

May I ask, does the 2016 Edge with Adaptive Steering have a different Front Toe alignment procedure? Does it require a scan tool to "perform the steering toe adjustment"? I have the 2015 procedure which doesn't have adaptive steering option. 

ForScan does not show me such a setting, but if it is required I'll ask them if they can add it.

Front Toe Adjustment.pdf

• Like 1

Omar: Yes, the procedure mentions scan-tool usage... Front Toe Adjustment - Vehicles With Active Steering - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

This causes me to wonder if the scan tool is being used to engage the Active Steering Wheel Lock to ensure the Steering Wheel is secured pointing straight ahead when the Front Toe Adjustment is made.

A bit later today, I'll pull all the diagnostic Pinpoint Tests and edit into this post the full library of 2016 Edge Active Steering references.

Good luck!

• Like 2