My Edge suddenly loses power, wrench light comes on

LarryL

This has happened to me on 2 occasions. I'm driving on the highway at 65-70ph when I feel a clunk and my power is suddenly gone. No response when pushing the accelerator, and the engine is running really rough, like the timing is suddenly off. I pull to the side of the road, the yellow wrench ight is on. I turn off the car, and immediately restart. The engine runs fine, no warning lights, no problems at all. I took it to the shop 2 days later and there were no codes showing and they drove around a lot, unable to replicate the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? My Edge is the 2013 3.5L 6 cyl AWD 80,000 miles. 

Edited by LarryL
added information

Sounds familiar, a couple of years ago I had similar symptoms.  

First the Adaptive Cruise Control said it couldn't work.   Stopped, turned off engine, and sometimes it would work again, sometimes not.

Then the power loss, though I could still drive slowly.  Didn't notice an engine clunk, but I'm hard of hearing so I miss a bomb exploding.  LOL

Went to the  Ford Dealership in Redding CA.  I think by then I did have an engine code.  Long wait to get service so ...

I drove 200 miles back home and took it to my Ford dealer.  There was a known problem which they fixed free of charge and gave me a loaner for 3 days during repairs.

(Fortunately it didn't do additional damage to the engine to drive it home.)

Sorry, I don't recall the actual engine problem.  I'll try to remember to call them tomorrow and ask them to look up the service record.

54 minutes ago, LarryL said:

Thanks, that helps. It’s hard to get to somewhere to read the code without restarting. The engine is completely disabled when this happens. Will it show up in the warning screen on the dash?

Not sure what you mean by that bold part?

The error codes will be saved, even if the engine starts normally again.

You may be able to loan a reader from Autozone, but OBDII devices are so cheap these days it well worth having one in your tool chest.

• Like 2

On the left side of the instrument cluster is a series of drop down monitor choices, the bottom being “Warnings “. Once it showed up a message about collision detection system was inoperative during a heavy rain. I was wondering if a warning would be triggered there. Both times this engine problem happened, no codes were saved. Possibly cleared after I restart and everything works normally again

26 minutes ago, LarryL said:

On the left side of the instrument cluster is a series of drop down monitor choices, the bottom being “Warnings “. Once it showed up a message about collision detection system was inoperative during a heavy rain. I was wondering if a warning would be triggered there. Both times this engine problem happened, no codes were saved. Possibly cleared after I restart and everything works normally again

No, the error codes aren't displayed on the dash.

I had an occasional misfire immediately after gassing up, and suspected the evap valve, but no codes, then a few months later I upgraded my OBD device to the OBLink MX+ and it showed that I do have a stored evap code.

I then connected using Forscan and it too identified the evap code.

What code reader are you using?

It is highly unlikely that there's no codes stored after a total engine shutdown. 

No, a restart does not clear codes.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

Amazon.com: OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows : Automotive

• Recommended adapter for FORScan, Torque, BimmerCode, Dashcommand, AlfaOBD, Carista and many more
  • Enhanced OEM support for Ford, GM, Mazda, Nissan/Infinity, Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Honda, Hyundai, Kia
  • Clear Check Engine Light and get more live parameters (ABS, SRS, TPMS, etc) than any other scanner

More Data

OBDLink MX+ supports GM-LAN and Ford-MSC proprietary vehicle networks that provide access to thousands of additional parameters that are off-limits to all other wireless OBD scanners, including BlueDriver and FIXD.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 9/28/2021 at 7:21 PM, LarryL said:

This has happened to me on 2 occasions. I'm driving on the highway at 65-70ph when I feel a clunk and my power is suddenly gone. No response when pushing the accelerator, and the engine is running really rough, like the timing is suddenly off. I pull to the side of the road, the yellow wrench ight is on. I turn off the car, and immediately restart. The engine runs fine, no warning lights, no problems at all. I took it to the shop 2 days later and there were no codes showing and they drove around a lot, unable to replicate the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? My Edge is the 2013 3.5L 6 cyl AWD 80,000 miles. 

can I ask if replacing the throttle body fixed this problem?? You described just what I am experiencing on my 2017 ford edge 2.7l 6 cyl…

A harsh clunk as if the transmission failed to enter a gear or something. It seems to happen whenever I press the accelerator more than I was previously. For example going up large hills here in NY will require a little more throttle where it will down shift and then I SOMETIMES get a clunk and all these issues.

I cleared all previous data (and posted previous data on this forum somewhere) and now its happened 3 times but without throwing any codes or anything anymore…

These intermittent undiagnosable issues are so annoying. Everything I read continues to point me back to the throttle body or ECM issue, but why would a throttle body issue make my vehicle clunk when this happens idk..