2016 Ford Edge SEL 3.5 AWD H6 Battery Fit?

Edgy_Ford

10 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

yes on all counts.  shops, brick/mortar or online, use STRICT compatibility tools, and even then, are quite often wrong.  they just don't want to waste time or money with unsuccessful installations or returns of product.

What about the BMS? I know the battery model or type can be changed using ForScan, but I don't remember reading what would happen if the battery type in the BCM doesn't match the actual installed battery?

if battery type is the same, i.e., AGM to AGM, then less worries because charging characteristics should be very similar although charge voltages can vary a bit from mfr to mfr.

when changing from SLA to AGM or vice versa, that can pose a bit of a challenge, as charging voltage specs can vary by as much as 0.5V.  not a huge difference, but for non highway cruisers, can be a big deal.

afaik, people who have changed from SLA to AGM in 2011+ vehicles have not had to worry about updating battery type, and the AGM batteries have performed well.  could you squeeze more life out of it with proper charging voltage.  of course!

as to whether ford changes charging characteristics between SLA and AGM, that is at best an assumption on my part, but i know on non-BMS vehicles like our 2007 Edge and 2010 FSport, they are the same.  I have not seen mention of BMS-controlled #s specifically between different battery types.  but at least you have access to dark mode to preserve battery function if you need to.  I, unfortunately, do not.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...