Wider tire than stock on 21" rims

VanDookie54

As I remember, someone here at the forum did put 295/35 R21 tires on his OEM rims and reported that they fit. There was nothing said about long term use . Although the  295/35 R21tires do fit they are not recommended for use by the manufacture on 9 inch wide rims,  like the OEM 21 inch ones on Sports.The 295/35 R21 tire will be 1/2 inch wider on the inside and outside for a total of one inch wider overall, same sidewall and overall hight and diameter as the 265/40 R21 OEM tire. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.  I saw the post you're referring to after a deeper dig on the forum.  I like the way they look and am ordering some.  I'll post after a few thousand miles and let everyone know how they're holding up.  

Just traded my Focus ST in on the Edge ST and so far I like it.  Not quite as fun to drive but a hell of a lot easier to enter and exit (I'm 67).

Ordered lowering springs, having cat back dual  custom exhaust (Flowmaster 50) done next week and will post photos when all is complete.

Thanks again for the response and Happy Thanksgiving to all.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, VanDookie54 said:

Nope!  Love them... Maybe a tiny bit less on fuel mileage, but did tires and grill shutter delete around same time so it's hard to say. Did a thousand miles over the last 4 days and got 28.5 as opposed to 30.2 last time I did exact same trip.

Tire pressures set the same?

It may sound irrelevant but a softer sidewall (whether by tire design or reduced pressure) causes more rolling resistance which can translate to lower MPG.

Also did you correct for ANY difference in circumference in Forscan? 

(You may have said above, no time to read back right now)

• Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 4:55 AM, VanDookie54 said:

Tire pressure is the same and didn't change anything in Forscan as they are the exact same height as original tires.  They are an inch wider and I know that could have an impact.

I believe the 295 tires are 1.2 inch wider than the 265 . Thats great that they are working so well for you. 

Wonder what effect they have on the AdvanceTrec system? 

I read on the F150 forum when they used wider tires the roll stability (they referred to it as the Traction Control System) kicked in, when driving over 35 mph and going around curves. He found he could reduce it by slowing down on tight curves. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

If you get a chance VanDookie54 could you please answer some questions I have about your 295 tires now that you have had them on for awhile. . 

1. Is your car stock height or do you have the H&R springs?

2. Have you had a full load of 4 or more passengers in the car? and if so did the tires rub at all. Over bumps ?  

3. Are they wearing evenly? 

Thanks, 

Xtra

• Like 2

Still have H&R springs.

Have had 4 adults and luggage for 4 day vacation in car and traveled several hundred miles.  Ride was awesome and fuel mileage was still between 26-28.

Have great tire people taking care of the tires. Change oil every 3500-4000 miles,and we go over them and rotate every change. So far around 11,000 miles on them and wear is perfect. Chassis is adjusted as close to 0 camber on all 4 as possible.

I couldn't be happier with the car or any mods we've done to her.  I thought I'd miss my Focus ST and I do, but I am completely happy with the Edge. Only wish is that the transmission shift points were more adjustable - would like (in sport mode) to have it go back to auto on its own after a manual override shift without having to do it by holding upshift paddle for a few seconds. If anyone knows how to do this in Forscan please let me know?

Any further questions, let me know. Be glad to help if I can.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 9/9/2022 at 12:58 PM, VanDookie54 said:

Still have H&R springs.

Have had 4 adults and luggage for 4 day vacation in car and traveled several hundred miles.  Ride was awesome and fuel mileage was still between 26-28.

Have great tire people taking care of the tires. Change oil every 3500-4000 miles,and we go over them and rotate every change. So far around 11,000 miles on them and wear is perfect. Chassis is adjusted as close to 0 camber on all 4 as possible.

I couldn't be happier with the car or any mods we've done to her.  I thought I'd miss my Focus ST and I do, but I am completely happy with the Edge. Only wish is that the transmission shift points were more adjustable - would like (in sport mode) to have it go back to auto on its own after a manual override shift without having to do it by holding upshift paddle for a few seconds. If anyone knows how to do this in Forscan please let me know?

Any further questions, let me know. Be glad to help if I can.

so with the summer driving season fast approaching, with the state my tires are in, I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade the rubber on my summer wheels now or run what's on the until they're gone..

My questions are, can we get an update on tire wear, any bad rubs, and overall impression of the bigger Conti Extreme Contacts?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 10:44 PM, VanDookie54 said:

Still loving the Conti Extremes... Wear is perfect at 15,000+ miles on tires... no alignment problems, no rubs and virtually no noise change from stocks.

all apologies for hammering this question.. but are those stock wheels?

as in a 21" diameter 9" width stock ford wheel like used on the 2016 edge? or perhaps your year is wider?

I only ask because it is kind of stated earlier that this is on stock wheels, but that width tire on a 9inch wide wheel is not a compatible/suggested match according to every site I've looked on

Thanks again for the information

• Like 1

• 1 month later...